Broken Nib Feed On An Edson

Apie

I have an emerald Edson, and the little nipple that goes into the converter broke off. I have sent pics to Waterman, and they responded they only have extra fine and bold nibs available :yikes: . Would I need a whole new nib?!! That would be heartbreaking, this medium nib has 20+ years of use and I couldn't imagine changing it. It is just a tiny plastic piece that needs to be replaced. Those with knowledge about repairs please give me some good news!

post-62633-0-02203800-1401894903_thumb.jpg

post-62633-0-39905700-1401894908_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apie

• watch_art

• Left FPN

• Calamus plasticus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am afraid you are in a pickle.

But you could get a little closer with a Fine and at a very good price from a very good seller,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/26981-3x-waterman-edson-nib-units-new/

Do you use cartridges or a converter. My thoughts are that cartridges put a load forcing the ball seal in and eventually something gives.

Have you though about using it as a bulb filler i.e. fill the barrel. I have not tried this buts its a thought as the barrel to section is sealed.

Edited by Force

I definitely would not try using an Edson as an eyedropper or bulb-filler. The metal parts within the section of this pen will likely react with ink, and it will not be pretty.

The inlaid nibs of these pens are not user-changeable, so you do need to purchase a nib/feed assembly from Waterman -- or you could try placing a Want To Buy ad in classifieds.

That is nuts. 1 tiny thing broken and the perfect nib is useless. So to confirm- it cannot be fixed?

Take a look to the dissasembly of an Edson by Rafael Baillo, a good repair person from Spain:

http://grafopasion.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/despiece-waterman-edson.html

Your broken piece is nr. 16 on that pic. Is the housing of the entire feed. You would need a spare of that very piece and someone able to dissasemble the unit and install it.

I presume Waterman would be able to do it, but Force is right: it may be cheaper to buy a whole unit from Lennard (Dutchpen) here on FPN than having that piece changed by Waterman. All related to Edsons is incredible expensive... but Lennard has that unit at an incredible price. Ask Waterman first, but I am almost sure this is the way it is, unfortunately. Good luck.

If you wanted a cheap and permanent solution - you could epoxy glue part of a cart in there, and shellac on a bit of sac to the cart, and use it as a squeeze filler.

What you would do is first cut off the front of a cart so it would just slip in there, and epoxy that bit into the section, being careful not to get glue where you don't want it.

Then cut off the back of the cart, maybe leaving 1/4 inch above the section, and attach a sac to it with shellac. Bam. Simple. Since you can't get parts for these sections, it's not a terrible solution.

Take a look to the dissasembly of an Edson by Rafael Baillo, a good repair person from Spain:

http://grafopasion.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/despiece-waterman-edson.html

Your broken piece is nr. 16 on that pic. Is the housing of the entire feed. You would need a spare of that very piece and someone able to dissasemble the unit and install it.

I presume Waterman would be able to do it, but Force is right: it may be cheaper to buy a whole unit from Lennard (Dutchpen) here on FPN than having that piece changed by Waterman. All related to Edsons is incredible expensive... but Lennard has that unit at an incredible price. Ask Waterman first, but I am almost sure this is the way it is, unfortunately. Good luck.

CP, nice link but I think it is the feed nipple on item 17 that has broken. It protrudes through item 16. I wonder if item 16 is the 'special' part that prevent ink emiting at 35k feet. To be quite honest item 17 does not look like it will pass through 16, they appear the same size.

A good reason to stay with original Waterman converters and cartridges.

I would buy a new section from Lennard, $170 is so good while available, and then source a good repairer to swap the parts out. Lennard has also sold just the gold nibs so he might even know of someone that can do the swap.

Edited by Force

It is absolutely item 17. From the breakdown you would think I could see part 16 protruding out, but clearly the pic shows there is nothing to stick into a cart/converter. I am sending it in tomorrow, we'll see how much it will be. I think I would replace the med nib with a bold, I could always get it ground down.

What a pity. I feel another method is more favourable if you hang on in there. Have you talked to Lennard he is really helpful.

If you do return it to Waterman, there is a tick box on the returns document which asks if you want any replaced parts returned to you for sentimental reasons. Tick it but I fear you will get the section back but they will have removed the gold nib or bent it... :angry:

It is absolutely item 17. From the breakdown you would think I could see part 16 protruding out, but clearly the pic shows there is nothing to stick into a cart/converter. I am sending it in tomorrow, we'll see how much it will be. I think I would replace the med nib with a bold, I could always get it ground down.

Good luck. Please update the thread when Waterman is done with the repair, just to see how they manage it :)

I wonder if item 16 is the 'special' part that prevent ink emiting at 35k feet.

I wonder that too, Force. Perhaps is a combination of that casket and the feed. And the shell covering the feed down the nib (nr. 14 on the pic) can contribute too: it is glued very tight to the nib.

An interesting design in any case.

yeah exactly like your idea!

:)

Why not on the Edson? That poor feed isn't going to get fixed or replaced is it? I mean, not without damaging the nib to take it apart..

I mean, not without damaging the nib to take it apart..

A competent repairer should be able to sort it without damage. If it goes together it should come apart...well that's my principle.

I have 3 spare sections but I can't bring myself to take one apart...yet :unsure:

I would never have thought about taking a Carene nib out, now I do it without hesitation.

I remember your photos from a year or so ago showing the process. I though that was great.

I am working on a 4th Carene project and it is taking some getting it right. I have removed the first, spray, paint and reverted back to brushing also changing the colour.

The bulb filler is a brilliant idea. I'll keep you updated on the repair, if it is ridiculously expensive I'll look into it!