Journal/planner Cover

distancerunner

After searching FPN and the web in general, there does not appear to be a product that meets the criteria I seek. What I am looking for are covers for A4 and A5 sized notebooks with plenty of pockets for storing business cards, pens, and other items usually carried daily. This cover would ideally be constructed of nylon, canvas, or something similar rather than leather. It should have a zipper to close and protect the contents..The covers that exist in this configuration all contain loose leaf rings. These will only get in the way of a ring bound notebook, unless of course, the notebook is perforated to accept the rings. That limits the choices of notebook and thus is not desirable.

Does anyone know of a product that meets these needs?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wikeh2004

• Plume145

• Oldtimer

• Coop

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try searching A4 and A5 compendiums rather than notebook covers. Just make sure the styles you like can take a side bound notebook as most are designed for top bound pads.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Interesting! I have often looked for the same thing, so I searched A5 compendium and all of my Google image hits were from Australia and NZ. (I'm in the U.S.) It must be a difference in naming conventions… I love some of the ones I found online, but sadly shipping to the U.S. is prohibitive.

Look in asian stationery/accessory/lifestyle brands - mostly japanese or korean, or look to China for less expensive non-branded alternatives (they're still pretty good quality though - after all most of the branded goods are made there too). Asian brands do A LOT of organizer pouch type stuff, it's a really big thing, and I know I've seen several things that would fit the bill over the years since I've been shopping asian brands. None of them with the pesky rings either :P Try shops like Yesstyle and Fallindesign, or venue sites like Rakuten, Aliexpress for chinese things, and of course ebay.

You will need to experiment with keywords a little to figure out how the kinds of things you like are described: because the promotional materials are translating, they will sometimes use a different word than you would expect. For example, asian brands use the word 'pouch' to describe their items a lot more extensively than native-english brands do: they use it even where we would say 'case' (eg pencil case) or 'bag' (eg makeup bag) or even more specialized terms like wallet or coin purse (most of these get filed under 'pouch' if they can conceivably be used for something other than money, like a flash drive). So expect some tweaking :) I think it's a good idea to start with ebay, fallindesign, and yesttyle, just to get a feel for what kinds of words are used and to get to know the various brands, then you will have better luck sifting through rakuten and aliexpress :)

I'm a total freak for japanese and korean stationery and pouches (I know - you'd never have guessed!) so I have a bunch of ebay sellers saved in my ebay favorites who have a lot of this kind of thing, so if you're struggling and getting nowhere with the above lemme know and I can share ;)

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

The Rhodia Exacompta Exafolio may fit your requirements. I'm unsure if the Exafolio fits anything other than the Rhodia pads though.

Can't help you with A4, but for A5 I can recommend the Greenroom136 Scribblebook Journal.

http://greenroom136.com/scribblebook

I have a Rhodia Webnotebook in mine at the moment, but it works quite well with the Rhodia A5 staplebound notebooks too.

If you have a lot of stuff you want to put in there, I recommend using a thinner or at least soft covered notebook.

13431919783_39630ab11a_z.jpg

13432199814_5535697904_z.jpg

13432225814_1f6e1780b0_z.jpg

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

• 3 months later...

Hmm… that looks interesting. Does the interior zippered section have pockets in which to slip the covers of the notebook? Seems like it might be a good cover for a Seven Seas Writer or something similar. Can anyone who has one chime in?

Hmm… that looks interesting. Does the interior zippered section have pockets in which to slip the covers of the notebook? Seems like it might be a good cover for a Seven Seas Writer or something similar. Can anyone who has one chime in?

I asked JetPens about the zippered compartment. They said that it does not have any pockets to hold the cover of a notebook. The notebook just rests inside the compartment. They said it can take notebooks up to about 17mm thick. I'm sure a Seven Seas Writer would fit.

I can't tell for sure. It doesn't appear that way. I had just viewed that cover/case shortly before seeing this thread originally so I don't have any firsthand experience.

That looks great. But, may be prohibitive shipping to the US.

Can't help you with A4, but for A5 I can recommend the Greenroom136 Scribblebook Journal.

http://greenroom136.com/scribblebook

I have a Rhodia Webnotebook in mine at the moment, but it works quite well with the Rhodia A5 staplebound notebooks too.

If you have a lot of stuff you want to put in there, I recommend using a thinner or at least soft covered notebook.

13431919783_39630ab11a_z.jpg

13432199814_5535697904_z.jpg

13432225814_1f6e1780b0_z.jpg

That looks great. But, may be prohibitive shipping to the US.

Cheapest shipping option to the US is around $14 I think. Not exactly cheap, but IMHO the product is worth it.

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Well, I tried pricing one out and the total for one Scribblebook journal version came out to 340 MYR with shipping which translated to about $104 USD. That's a bit too rich for me! The Lihit Lab bag from Jetpens.com offers similar functionality (although not design) for a lot less. :-)

Cheapest shipping option to the US is around $14 I think. Not exactly cheap, but IMHO the product is worth it.

Hi again, I've had a couple people PM me about those ebay sellers of korean stationery, and I figured I'd better put it on the public boards because where you have two, statistically you probably have more but they're just too shy/pressed for time/whatever to ask, so might as well stab two olives with one toothpick by posting here :P

Okay, so sellers of korean stationery on ebay, in addition to the shops I mentioned before: cupidgift, giftaholic, lonedaisy, mono9raph, and sellzzang - those are the main ones anyway. They don't always have the same stuff, it varies, sometimes they have more of the random stuff like fashion and so on, but these ones usually have at least some stationery and organizers, usually lots.

On the other venue site, rakuten, I've used kytobungya and japan-office. Both are super-nice, with a lovely big selection and lots of patience with non-japanese speakers, but japan-office is that little bit easier to deal with in terms of shipping and process.

And of course, let's not forget the asian stationery outpost in the west - a nice warm welcome to *drumroll*... Jetpens!. If you like asian stationery and haven't tried them, you're missing out, big-time (well, make that if you like stationery, period). They lean a bit more towards japanese, but that's okay because fallindesign especially and yesstyle lean a bit more towards korean and chinese/taiwanese respectively.

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

This stuff is great. The name "greenroom" sounded familiar and looked among my notebooks and i found a very fountain pen friendly one i have not yet begun to use. Only the first page had been tested for Fps and it passed the test. So the notebooks from GREENROOM are also great for FP writing and they should go hand in hand.

Like i so much use these journals i even record my dreams and stuff in them. Aside from doodles and lists! i am almost sure i got this from one of TJ or Marshall's notebooks section. I am drawn to them likes bees to honey.http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/PENS/STATONARY/Greenroomnotebook_0008_zps644bc739.jpg

This is how they look inside.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/PENS/STATONARY/Greenroomnotebook_0007_zps5fadbb87.jpg

http://www.zoominto.com/zoomapi/ZoomButt.gif
Edited by Oldtimer

The scribble book you are showing which size it is? The photos on the site d o not show the left side pockets.( found it, don't worry) Lack of vision, i need to see all! i mean, it is not exactly the same you are showing here, did they change the design?

OOPs! Is that a joke? Shipping is more than the cost of the item?

Going back to the list: i really need it. i am not that hungry for that scribblethingy, though it looks great. Maybe when they fin a USA distributor?

Edited by Oldtimer

My Scribblebook is the Scribblebook Journal. It fits an A5 sized notebook.

As far as I know the design wasn't changed, but they do make them with a lot of different outsides.

If you have questions about their products, just drop them a message via email or their Facebook page. They're usually quite quick to respond.

Edited by Coop

ah crud, I misspelled one of the rakuten sellers: it's kyotobunguya. Sorry if anyone's been trying to find it and getting nowhere! This one always trips me up :-)