Price Increases

FountainPages

The Aurora Optima new, up to just about 4 weeks ago was available for 396USD in Chrome and 440USD in Gold trim. Overnight the price increased to 556USD, for both models. I had saved for one year to buy the Chrome model, though really desiring the gold, putting away five dollars here/ten dollars there until I had the money. I was about to place an order with a certain website only to find out the pen had somehow increased by 160USD. I was shattered to say the least, that the pen I saved for so long was once again out of reach. I worked for this pen, I saved and actually sacrificed for this pen...I wanted it badly enough...I was angry to have gone through all that only to be kicked again into reality...those without cubic money are inconsequential. I am tired of being kept from nice things only because I am not heeled with an endless wallet and massive resources.

BTW...I did eventually buy the pen at the new overly high price increase. I would rather the pen be worth the money paid rather than having it packaged in leatherette cardboard and leather covered wooden boxes. Yes, two Aurora factory boxes. The fit and finish of the pen are impeccable...it is drop dead gorgeous. Is it worth 556USD? Not a snowball's chance in hell. In the venerable words of Rodger Daltry and the WHO...We Won't Get Fooled Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• freakman

• FountainPages

• risingsun

Getting an Optima around $400 is fairly good for a pen with well made in-house nib and Italian design.

But at $550, it's almost the same price with Montblanc 149....

Getting an Optima around $400 is fairly good for a pen with well made in-house nib and Italian design.

But at $550, it's almost the same price with Montblanc 149....

Well maybe a used MB149. But a new MB149 is close to $900.

Definitely looks like those desiring the high end in fountain pens are going to have to work toward higher paying employment. But, I find that is always the case, you want something at X dollars and by the time I would get my earnings up to buy it, the street price had inflated to Z dollars. I figure there is a rule of life in there somewhere.

YMMV

Well maybe a used MB149. But a new MB149 is close to $900.

An AU label new style 149 cost around $650 here in China if you purchase on a local website Taobao.

But cost around $1050 in their stores. And maybe that's why Montblanc lost around 5% of their global profit last year in China.

An AU label new style 149 cost around $650 here in China if you purchase on a local website Taobao.

But cost around $1050 in their stores. And maybe that's why Montblanc lost around 5% of their global profit last year in China.

I think they're still a bit under $1000 at my local MB boutique, but that's still more than I'm willing to pay. So, instead of buying a new 149 I traded for a lightly used one - not only is the price more appealing, I prefer the ebonite feeds on older MB's over the plastic feeds on new MB's.

Edited by raging.dragon

I think they're still a bit under $1000 at my local MB boutique, but that's still more than I'm willing to pay. So, instead of buying a new 149 I traded for a lightly used one - not only is the price more appealing, I prefer the ebonite feeds on older MB's over the plastic feeds on new MB's.

Plastic feeds are quite hard to design and MB certainly doesn't do well in this area.

The best plastic feed might be the one on Waterman Edson.

I was angry to have gone through all that only to be kicked again into reality... I am tired of being kept from nice things... I would rather the pen be worth the money paid... Is it worth 556USD? Not a snowball's chance in hell. In the venerable words of Rodger Daltry and the WHO...We Won't Get Fooled Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet,

BTW...I did eventually buy the pen at the new overly high price increase.

What reason have they to not raise prices if even those who must stretch to reach them will do so?

Plastic feeds are quite hard to design and MB certainly doesn't do well in this area.

The best plastic feed might be the one on Waterman Edson.

It seems to matter a great deal exactly what plastic is used and how readily ink wets (spreads across) the plastic used.

The Edson feed is pretty impressive. The only downside is that it's large capacity (to handle air pressure changes when flying) also makes it harder to flush clean.

Well, I think I'll hold onto my Blue Optima a while longer. It seems that it is one of the few pens that is actually appreciating in price.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Been desiring the pen for quite some time and as you say, I had to stretch a bit to acquire one. That does not mean however, that I cannot be upset with the price increase. I simply could have chosen not to buy. The Optima has been on my radar/wish list for years, for me it was/is THE pen. I will be done buying pens for quite some time now, I am that satisfied.

Mark Twain

For consideration in 1998 the msrp for the Optima

Auroloide..Blue {996B}..Emerald {996V}..and Burgundy {996/CX}

was $385 usd. The Optima in solid resin colors/colours msrp

was $295 usd. In June 2003 the msrp was the same for both.

Incidentally in 2003 the msrp for Optima solid Ag.925{986} was $595 usd and the Optima in solid Au 750/1000 {990} was $2,500 usd.....

Fred

Man is not made for defeat....The Old Man..Spencer Tracey.....

It's worth pointing out (i think) that Aurora actually DECREASED their prices a few years ago:

http://fpgeeks.com/2012/08/aurora-shows-other-manufacturers-how-its-done-with-a-price-decrease/

So ... it's not really the same thing as (say) Pelikan bumping things up by 30% every 8 months ('er whatever).... More like a "repositioning" really.

Theses price fluctuations may also be the result of currency value fluctuations.

Edited by raging.dragon

Bryant at pentime.com will give you a great deal on Aurora pens. I highly recommend doing business with him if you're looking for an Aurora at a reasonable price.

Thank-you for the suggestion. I have already committed to John Mottishaw.

Mark Twain