Twsbi 580 1.1 Stub?

CJ_ung

Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing a TWSBI 580 soon. I've finally been able to choose this model over the Vac700, yet another question remains. Do I purchase the 1.1 stub, or a regular medium nib? If anyone has experience with the TWSBI stub nibs or stub nibs in general compared to normal nibs, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Much thanks,

CJ

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CJ_ung

• ravantra

• swanjun

• SnorriRafn

Some folks had trouble with the 580 1.1 nibs when they first came out, me included. I ended up having it adjusted at the Atlanta Pen Show, 'cos it was just not gripping the paper properly and had a baby's bottom or something. i don't know exactly.

Anyway, it was much improved after the adjustment but I just found it kinda wide for me still, so I bought a medium nib which I turned out to LOVE. So every now and then I feel like "Oh, I should probably try that 1.1 again" but then I just don't 'cos I love the medium so much. :)

I have both a Vac 700 and a 580. I have the 1.1 stubs for both and the medium nib for the 580. the stub on the 580 is actually closer to being 1.3 mm but it is really smooth, smoother than the Vac 700. The medium nib is also very smooth but I use the stub one as it really suits my writing style. The extra nib units are not that expensive so you can get both!

I have the 580 and Vac 7oo with 1.1 stubs. I find both are very smooth. I find the 7oo writes wider but drier than the 580. I really like both.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

If you have big handwriting, the stub will certainly add some flair to it. If you are writing smaller / annotating something, the M would be more suitable.

The beauty of the TWSBIs is, that for approx. $25 you can buy the second nib unit and just switch them around effortlessly. So maybe that option is the best for you?

I purchased the 580 from Pendleton Brown with his custom "butter-line stub-italic" nib and it has quickly become one of my favorites.

If you have big handwriting, the stub will certainly add some flair to it. If you are writing smaller / annotating something, the M would be more suitable.

The beauty of the TWSBIs is, that for approx. $25 you can buy the second nib unit and just switch them around effortlessly. So maybe that option is the best for you?

I think that I'll end up doing that... thanks !!

• 1 month later...

I have had a TWSBI 580 with a Pendleton Brown fine Butter-line nib for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. It has better line width variation than most stubs in this size, but doesn't require the special care in writing that an italic nib often does. It never skips, and is overall an effortless writer on a very wide variety of papers, including high end stationery with surface texture. It has become my standard daily carry pen.

Edited by Lynn Teague

My first 1.1 from Twsbi (from their first batch of 1.1 nib units) was a joy to use. Smooth, wet and a little spring. Bought one about a year later with a blue 540 and it was a complete dog. Returned it to get it adjusted.

With modern nibs it seems to be the luck of the draw.

Got a TWSBI 580 with a 1.1 stub some months ago and love it. Smooth, medium wet and no skipping. In the beginning I occasionally had problems with hard starts when I got the angle wrong (was my first stub), but once it is writing it is actually quite forgiving.

I have no regular M to make a comparison though. Compared with a Lamy Al-Star in M, the max width of the stub seems to be about twice as wide as the stroke of the Lamy, the minimal width is thinner than a regular stroke of the Lamy.