Fountain Pen Crime In Berkeley, Ca

Mister John

I am so sorry to hear about this. I don't have any suggestions beyond what's been offered already… but wow, what a violation of your privacy and trust.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery of your lovely collection!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GTOZack

• TheModernGent

• Mister John

• penrivers

I hope you manage to track down at least some of your pens. If I lost even half that amount I don't know what I'd do.

Such a violation of trust is very sad to hear about. With any luck you will be able to retrieve at least some of the missing pens. It sounds like you have been specifically targeted for these pens. Unless you are in the habit of discussing your collection in detail with the ancillary staff it is unlikely that they are involved in this. I guess what I am saying is that it must be someone who you've talked to (or their associates) in depth about the pens and their values/rarity. Problem is that leaves with trust issues all round.

I have about $100 set aside here... well, it was for a P51... that doesn't matter right now. If you PM me a PayPal account I can transfer it to you. It may go a small way at least toward a replacement for you.

I don't have any Namiki's, Pelikans, or Mont Blanc's. But what I do have is an overgrown collection of wonderful vintage pens, and I'd be more than willing to toss you a nice one as well. I see you like Sheaffer's, I could send you a nice Snorkel or some such if you'd like to PM me your address. I only hope that it can help to at least alleviate even the smallest bit of your pain and start you on your way to getting past this and growing a new collection. I know I'd be devastated personally, if this had happened to me. Keep your chin up, you've now got a whole forum of rabid pen lovers in your corner. I'm certain if they turn up online, someone here will be on top of it. Best of luck!

Very sorry to hear about the theft. I know it doesn't provide comfort, but I do believe in karma and the thieves will get theirs. I agree with the others - be vigilant in scanning craiglist, ebay, and contact all pawn shops in the greater bay area (especially in your neighboring Oakland). Time will heal the loss, and present you with new opportunities.

I get sick when I hear of violations like this. I've had property stolen myself in a similar type of scenario as you describe and it is very unsettling. Don't give up hope though. I had no expectation to ever see my property again until the police called me out of the blue two month later and I at least got some of it back.

I troll ebay daily for Pelikans as they are my passion. If you want to PM me your list of birds, I'll keep a lookout for you. The more eyes the better.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Such a violation of trust is very sad to hear about. With any luck you will be able to retrieve at least some of the missing pens. It sounds like you have been specifically targeted for these pens. Unless you are in the habit of discussing your collection in detail with the ancillary staff it is unlikely that they are involved in this. I guess what I am saying is that it must be someone who you've talked to (or their associates) in depth about the pens and their values/rarity. Problem is that leaves with trust issues all round.

I agree with Cryptos...this sounds awfully like an inside job.. from someone you know. C'mon most people have NO idea about the value of fountain pens. The fact that they knew where your pens were stashed... even the ones in non-obvious places... calls for someone that knows you office and your pens. This is either a pen connoisseur (has knowledge of value of your pens) with knowledge of the location of your pens.... or someone you have talked extensively about the value of your pens. I am so sorry, but you will have to face the fact that this person is one of the people in your trusted circles.

I don't believe the cleaning staff involvement. They have the access... but unless they are pen aficionados, they will have no idea of the value of your pens. Also, it makes no sense.. is just too easy, like blaming the butler. They are the first one the police will check.

I am scare to ask... Do you have your collection insured? ... not that it makes things easier, but at least you can replace your collection, albeit without your fond memories to go with it..

I wish you good luck... and speedy recovery of your treasures..

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

You will find it. Thiefs belong to your inner circle in the University, they know you in every way you can imagine. I sugest you call the pólice and a private investigator. Good luck and Greetings from México.

Awfully sorry to hear about this!

I'm not too sold on the cleaning crew theory. If a window was removed, that suggests someone who didn't have a key or a friend/acquaintance with a key. If they knew what was there and didn't take anything else, my first thought is something even worse. Had you shown your collection to or discussed it with a student?

I agree with penrivers. When you find out who was responsible, I'm afraid it's going to be more painful than a friend of the cleaning crew because it's going to be a betrayal of confidence.

Either way, I'm so sorry.

Edited by Ceilidh

I don't believe the cleaning staff involvement. They have the access... but unless they are pen aficionados, they will have no idea of the value of your pens. Also, it makes no sense.. is just too easy, like blaming the butler. They are the first one the police will check.

C.

And the most important: cleaning staff dont care about those little things.... fountain pens.

I hate to hear these stories. :( I can only imagine the disappointment that came through this experience. I will be hoping that they will turn up somewhere, so that they can be returned to you!!

This story makes me want to invest in some collectible insurance....

What a terrible thing to happen. Grrr.

If you can remember what nib sizes and pen models, that would help the vigilant fpners and fpgeeks (saw your post there) identify your pens on eBay and craigslist.

Good luck. I hope you recover your pens.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

While I think the cleaning staff is possible, I would, unfortunately, suspect that it is someone you knew...either a colleague or a student who whom you may have mentioned the value of any of your pens, or who might recognize the value. (I am a Detective, but I work almost exclusively Crimes Against Persons cases, so I don't have as much knowledge in property crimes.)

I second the recommendation to check pawn shops and other second-hand stores in the area. In the jurisdiction where I work, a photograph is taken of anyone who pawns anything, because theft is such a frequent complaint of those establishments. I don't know if they do that out there, but it would be helpful!

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

What a terrible story... I hope all your pens will find their way back to you quickly!

I am not sold on the cleaning staff theory either. They would not have cared about leaving their finger prints.

Counsela the cleaning lady wouldn't care either.

I think its one of your students that been eyeing your behavior, timing, and your possessions. and they may have glanced at where you put your case of pens away as they walked by your office.

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I second that it most likely wasn't one of the cleaning people. I know that at my work (a huge corporate office with over 700 employees in 1 building) I had a discussion with a cleaning lady one night while working late. She said that she HATES when things get missing because they are always the first to be blamed, knowing this they don't even go near desks for fear that if something were to come up missing, they would get canned. Sure, there are exceptions to this, but I'd bet it was someone closer to you than just a cleaner. A student or fellow colleague would be more suspect, perhaps someone whom has made a comment or comments about your pens or whom you've even had a discussion with regarding them (or someone whom might have overheard).

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I am very sorry to hear about the theft of your collection. Theft of any kind is wrong, and yet, it happens on such a regular basis. I can only hope that your items are recovered, and that the thief is found and charged.

I do agree with the theory it could be a student. I've seen some rather rare and spiffy things when I've had meetings with professors in their offices. Items that are not nailed down or locked in often disappear in dormitories, in my experience. It is a shame to think a young adult seeking higher education can do such a thing, but I would imagine it possible.

A student would be most likely to take the online route to unload the items. Pawn shops nowadays take down a great deal of information when an item is pawned, and questions are often asked. Though checking with pawn shops could still be helpful, to learn if any fountain pens were recently sold to the shop.

Do you often meet with students in your office? I know some professors do, some don't. One professor of mine always held his office hours in a local coffee shop, rather than his university office.