Considering A Vp Raden - Talk Me Off Of The Ledge!

Betweenthelines

Just bought one to celebrate my birthday for $398 on ebay from what looks like a reliable seller. I figure that instead of paying $640 on nibs.com, if the nib didn't turn out right, I'd still be saving some money by buying separate nib units from Mottishaw. Can't wait for it to arrive!

I too bought TWO (2) VP Raden Water Surface fountain pens for $399.20 each + shipping from a reliable seller directly from Japan. Yes TWO (2) of them. One with the Fine nib and the other with the Medium nib. I figure that I would have an extra back up with a different size nib. I just got delivery of them yesterday. I can tell you one thing. They are from another world. I cannot stop looking at the glow of the multi colored abalone shells that sparkle all along the length and girth of the barrel under the light. I also like that this pen has no cap on it and I love the click mechanism. There's no other pen manufactured in the world that incorporates the click mechanism in it that's as technologically advanced as the VP which has the beauty and sparkle like this pen does.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Betweenthelines

• Donald2

• Dr.Grace

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Life is short. If you can buy it without taking food from your children, do it.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I keep mine in a case, but after a couple of years it still looks like new. I wouldn't worry, as long as you take reasonable care.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I had a standard VP, and was constantly annoyed about the dripping, burping ink and scratchy nib.

The best thing that ever happened to it, was that it was stolen. I can only smirk devilishly when thinking of the (bleep) writing experience the thieving (bleep) has had, until the damned thing ran dry a day or two after he "acquired" it.

In short; no, I wouldn´t Shell out a dime for a VP in a party hat....

Sorry. I guess I´m just in the negative corner today.

I had a standard VP, and was constantly annoyed about the dripping, burping ink and scratchy nib.

The best thing that ever happened to it, was that it was stolen. I can only smirk devilishly when thinking of the (bleep) writing experience the thieving (bleep) has had, until the damned thing ran dry a day or two after he "acquired" it.

In short; no, I wouldn´t Shell out a dime for a VP in a party hat....

Sorry. I guess I´m just in the negative corner today.

What size nib did yours have? Any brand fountain pen can have a scratchy nib. A good example are the overpriced Mont Blanc fountain pens. Lots of them write like s.hit.

Edited by Donald2

What size nib did yours have? Any brand fountain pen can have a scratchy nib. A good example are the overpriced Mont Blanc fountain pens. Lots of them write like s.hit.

Yeah, I know, but it was just a minor negative point to the list.

I never understand how one disappointment can turn someone off completely from a pen, "never again." Sometimes quality control misses something. It happens to the best of them, even Montblanc.

I love my VP's... especially the Raden galaxy. The new "Raden Water" looks pretty amazing... hope to find a nice used one at a decent price in the future.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I own 2 VP Raden Water fountain pens. One fine nib and one medium nib. I've been busy and I haven't had time to use any of them yet.

• 11 months later...

UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE:

I think that the Vanishing Point is my all time favorite fountain pen. I like it so much that I've expanded my Vanishing Point collection. I have over 1 1/2 dozen Vanishing Point fountain pens right now. My latest being the 4 Matte Black VP's that I've purchased in the last month in extra fine, fine and medium. I like them so much that I purchased another 6 Matte Black VP's. A few more extra fine, fine, medium and the newest addition, a broad nib. I'm also looking into a few Pilot Decimo and Fermo fountain pens as potential additions to my current collection. I still haven't inked or used my 2 Raden Water VP's yet. However, I've been using the 4 Matte Black VP's that I recently purchased and I'm loving them.

wow, that's a lot of VP's! i'll be interested to hear how you like the raden models. it may be all in my head, but to me they feel a bit girthier and offer a more pleasurable writing experience.

it may be all in my head, but to me they feel a bit girthier and offer a more pleasurable writing experience.

The raden models have the same girth as any of the other Pilot Capless Vanishing Point models. Personally, I love the look of the raden models I have, but in terms of writing experience I prefer the texture of the (resin-injected) birch, then the matte finish on the matte black and blue matte models. The kasuri (aka 'carbonesque') finish is OK, probably marginally better than the glossy finish on the raden models, but for some reason I don't like the kasuri we have quite as much. The one I like least is the glossy finish on the 2012 Limited Edition.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The matte black Vanishing Poibt doesn't have a glossy finish and it doesn't feel slippery.