Considering A Vp Raden - Talk Me Off Of The Ledge!

Betweenthelines

I'd imagine that for most, if not all of us, once we strip away from the pen usage and ownership equation the aesthetics, tactile sensation, responsiveness and philosophical attraction or persuasion that we could all just go back to using a No. 2 pencil or disposable ballpoint. However, we find value in these intangible properties and if that value, when prorated over the years of ownership and usage, exceeds the cost of the pen and the cost of opportunity for the money then it seems like it is a good purchase. The Raden Water VP is indeed beautiful, but only you will be able to fill in the blanks to solve the equation. Good luck! :)

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

www.tbnumismatics.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Betweenthelines

• Donald2

• Dr.Grace

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also own an original VP Raden that I used quite often for a while, but haven't inked up in years. As others have said, it's just a basic VP in a pretty dress. Do I regret buying it? No, but looking at the pens I've since purchased for about the same price, I now think it wasn't worth it. But if a raden pen is what you want then the VP radens are pretty much your only options that won't break the bank!

I have one of those original raden vanishing point pens, and even though I haven't used it in a while, I smile every time I see it in my case.

Still worth it.

Scientia potentia est.

I didn't even know what raden finishes were until I read this thread. Now I'm having a minor crisis like you Betweenthelines! :(

The raden inlays/finish on the VP and the Pelikans are my new favorite pens aesthetically...even if I'll never be able to afford it.

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

I also own an original VP Raden that I used quite often for a while, but haven't inked up in years. As others have said, it's just a basic VP in a pretty dress. Do I regret buying it? No, but looking at the pens I've since purchased for about the same price, I now think it wasn't worth it. But if a raden pen is what you want then the VP radens are pretty much your only options that won't break the bank!

Essentially, I was thinking along these lines too. But even the "basic" VP is a marvel of engineering and a real bargain. Coupled with the elegant presentation of the raden Water Surface, the result is also a great value, IMO. There are other nice pens in this price range, of course, and they have different characteristics. For example, the Custom 823 is also one of my favorites, although it has a kind of understated elegance.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Before buying from Japan I would aks all those american sellers - they are cheaper, you save money for shipment, it's faster...

Every American seller I've seen adds at least $200 to the price - where is it you are seeing it cheaper?

I didn't even know what raden finishes were until I read this thread. Now I'm having a minor crisis like you Betweenthelines! :(

The raden inlays/finish on the VP and the Pelikans are my new favorite pens aesthetically...even if I'll never be able to afford it.

I know, right? Hypnotic.

Essentially, I was thinking along these lines too. But even the "basic" VP is a marvel of engineering and a real bargain. Coupled with the elegant presentation of the raden Water Surface, the result is also a great value, IMO. There are other nice pens in this price range, of course, and they have different characteristics. For example, the Custom 823 is also one of my favorites, although it has a kind of understated elegance.

Yes, that's why it's hard for me... I realize I can buy a high end Pelikan for the same price, cheaper, in fact. The 823 doesn't appeal to me because A) don't like the brown clear plastic, and B) I have waaay too many pens with that black and gold style already.

The reason I'm looking at the VP is because I'm tired of having boring looking pens. They're all black / black & gold / black & silver, and many share that Custom series style. My pen collection needs some pizazz.

The Pelikan Raden is pretty awesome too!

post-5351-0-60162500-1401841944_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The Pelikan Raden is pretty awesome too!

Isn't that one of the limited edition M1000 radens (moonlight/sunlight)? That's like suggesting a Ferrari to someone considering a BMW. :)

Isn't that one of the limited edition M1000 radens (moonlight/sunlight)? That's like suggesting a Ferrari to someone considering a BMW. :)

Right, and then you might as well include the Namiki Yukari Nightline.

http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?pic=fullsize5.jpg&title=Namiki%20Yukari%20Nightline%20Moonlight%20Pens&path=products/namiki/_pens/yukarinightlinemoonlight

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Before buying from Japan I would aks all those american sellers - they are cheaper, you save money for shipment, it's faster...

HUH?! the fact Iroshizuku inks costs 2x as much in the US already justifies that it a bit more expensive than buying straight from Japan I do think the Raden inlay has 3 distinct patterns though I think

For some reason that I haven't figured out yet, American retailers sell some (but not all) fountain pens for nearly twice the price of Japanese retailers.

Case in point: The Platinum 3776 Century fountain pen

Japanese retail: $89, sold for $102 ($89 retail + $13 shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-3776-CENTURY-F-Fine-nib-Black-in-Black-14k-fountain-pen-/131204126288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8c601650

Shipping from Japan to the USA takes about 5 days.

USA retail: $220, sold for $182 ($176 + $6 shipping):

http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_3776_Fountain_Pen_Black_Century_F_p/plat-pnb-10000-1-f.htm

Shipping within the USA takes about 3 days.

Scientia potentia est.

For some reason that I haven't figured out yet, American retailers sell some (but not all) fountain pens for nearly twice the price of Japanese retailers.

Case in point: The Platinum 3776 Century fountain pen

Japanese retail: $89, sold for $102 ($89 retail + $13 shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-3776-CENTURY-F-Fine-nib-Black-in-Black-14k-fountain-pen-/131204126288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8c601650

Shipping from Japan to the USA takes about 5 days.

USA retail: $220, sold for $182 ($176 + $6 shipping):

http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_3776_Fountain_Pen_Black_Century_F_p/plat-pnb-10000-1-f.htm

Shipping within the USA takes about 3 days.

yes it's more expensive to buy in the US I do not know why I was thinking the bulk shipping + customs may have been a factor why the price suddenly skyrockets in fact Iroshizuku inks when bought in Japan cost like 16 USD while CdA costs like 30 USD... YEAH... I think its the shipping and customs but the major known companies IE Lamy Sheaffer Parker and Cross still sells roughly the same price as US in Japanese yen a tad but but still really affordable inks

Edited by Algester

Engeika sells the water Raiden for $389 shipped! GAAAH :wallbash:

I first saw a stardust VP Raden in person in a black light display case in Harold's of London. It was incredibly expensive, of course, as was everything I saw in that store. It was listed in British pounds of course and, translated to dollars, was somewhere close to $600, I think. But it was stunning ... The lighting brought out the sparkle in the flecks of shell and gave a dark blue luminosity to the darker portions of the barrel. So much more beautiful than in the photos I'd seen... It glowed. I stood there transfixed and my dear wife came up, saw me gawking at the pen and asked me if I wanted it. I told her, "Yes but not at that price." She would have indulged me had I said "yes". Instead I waited until we were back in the US and purchased from an American shop that sold on line but is no longer in business. A happy memory...

I was given one of the earlier raden VPs by my wife. At the time I was not a fan of the VP idea. But since I received the pen, it has almost never been out of the rotation. For convenience, writing quality, and beauty it is the one go-to pen. If you can do this financially, I would encourage you to go ahead.

ron

I have the stardust VP Raden and it is the most beautiful VP that I own. I don't regret the purchase at all

Edited by f2002q

Talk you off the ledge? Ha! I hate to break it to you, but if you are looking for a deterrent on FPN, you came to the wrong place!

Raden is quite beautiful...I have the Platinum Galaxy Maki-e....mesmerizing pen.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

• 3 months later...

I'm sobering up (a little). The hand in the drawer technique is a good one.

As per Colorado Pens - different Raden - I'm referring to the "water surface" one -

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ba/ba/fe/babafe1ee32f6d3e3e81636f52cf7c12.jpg

The Raden spiral is a deep one indeed.

Papers are.. well.. let's just say it's gonna be a long night. ;)

That's funny - I was just thinking today that if I bought it, I'd throw up a review entitled - "The VP Raden - I bought it so you don't have to". :D

The cheapest I've found the water is $450 - do let me know if you know if anywhere that sells it for less!

Just bought one to celebrate my birthday for $398 on ebay from what looks like a reliable seller. I figure that instead of paying $640 on nibs.com, if the nib didn't turn out right, I'd still be saving some money by buying separate nib units from Mottishaw. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.