Pierre Cardin Masterpiece Fp Review (With Pictures) A Mont Blanc For The Starters?!

cjpandya

Hello there! Today i will be reviewing the pierre cardin "Masterpiece" fountain pen! It is a brand marketed by the Flair pens in India in associtation in design with the french fashion designer Pierre Cardin. First look at the pen and you will say "whoa!! is it a Mont blanc Meisterstuck 146 in there by mistake?!! :D" Well ofcourse not! but you will see what i mean as we get on with the review! (Also the name "Masterpiece" = "Meisterstuck") This is one of the most affordable good quality FPs in the market which also manages to give a hint of luxury of the higher end pens. Priced at around Rs 400 ($6.75) in India as in may 2014, It is a must-have for starters! So, lets move on, shall we?....

The pen comes with four standard short cartrideges in a nice tin box with a transparent plastic window. The red velvet plastic pen holder can be taken out and the case can be used as a pen box.

14317313804_caf59f5d7d_z.jpg

Now you see what i meant by "Whoa! a Mont blanc?!" :yikes: :D The design is clearly Mont blanc inspired with the pocket clip, the center band and the cigar shaped body. Which is a rather classical FP design anyway. The cap is a clip-on type cap and not screw type.

14131317128_058f75f837_z.jpg

14131339490_5a3f48969a_z.jpg

The pen feels quite nice in the hand and the body plastic built quality is very nice with polished lacquer feel to it. The clip, the center band, the barrel threads, and all other golden accents are made of metal which adds a decent amount of weight and feel to the pen. The pen is well balanced even when posted and posts quite securely giving a robust feel.

The clip and the center band.

14131350010_63c36f6d9c_z.jpg

The pen posted (and yes! i am working on my handwriting! :D )

14314896781_2b62eeb559_z.jpg

The two-tone steel nib too is quite impressive and smooth with nice engraveing on it. It is a M nib with consistent ink flow. Size-wise it is fairly big as well, giving a richer feel to the pen on the whole even while writing.

14294813016_fee85762aa_z.jpg

This isnt one of those "creepy" iridium point germany nibs...it is indeed a quality one. And anyway not all IPG nibs are bad. The section has a smooth taper towards the nib with a mild concave curvature making it pleasant to hold.

14131342330_3f458447f2_z.jpg

The pen also comes with a standard converter pre-fitted into it, making it a very user-friendly package on the whole (with 4 spare ink cartridges in the box).

14131298068_7c30424482_z.jpg

Now, moving to the final writing sample..The feathering seen on the paper is because it is a low quality paper and nothing to do with the ink. i tried the pen with diffrent inks and it did not have a single issue with the flow or writing!

14131332318_b9c1cd2ef0_z.jpg

So, in the concluding statement, i would like to say it is a really good pen package on the whole for everyone! It gives the feeling of using a high end pen without the fear of loosing or damaging it in everyday use. Thats because of its price. Secondly, those who are starting out with FPs and want a really good, reliable writer...this is IT! No doubt about it! ofcourse there are other brands..but this is the complete pen package i have seen so far in this price range. With the classic design, the great looking pen case the 4 spare ink cartridges and the converter...you can never go wrong!

So...just go and get it if you can! Simple as that! You will not be disappointed! :)

Hope this review was useful!. Please share through comments and ask any question that you might have regarding the pen! I will be glad to know your views or suggestion! I will be coming up with other reviews for the FPs in my collection later....till then, HAVE A NICE DAY AND KEEP WRITING! :)

Edited by cjpandya

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjpandya

• Freddy

• Pickwick

• a_m

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pen but can the median nib used for daily writing isn't it too broad

Edited by bahekarvishal

i think this is fake

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Nice review...you purchased from the folks at ASApens...

"The Masterpiece - Top level fountain pen from Pierre Cardin, manufactured in India by Flair Writing Instruments in JV with Pierre Cardin,Paris, France."

Enjoy your new pen.

Fred

i think this is fake

It would be if it had engraved on the cap band Mont Blanc instead of Pierre Cardin

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Nice pen but can the median nib used for daily writing isn't it too broad

Well! that totally depends on our personal preference. I personally like broader nibs myself and use them daily! :-)

It would be if it had engraved on the cap band Mont Blanc instead of Pierre Cardin

Correct! :-)

Nice review...you purchased from the folks at ASApens...

"The Masterpiece - Top level fountain pen from Pierre Cardin, manufactured in India by Flair Writing Instruments in JV with Pierre Cardin,Paris, France."

Enjoy your new pen.

Fred

Thank you! :-) I bought it from a local store.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it looks much like a Montblanc at all.

Okay! Thats Your opinion and i respect that! :-)

I once thought of buying this one from www.flipkart.com (Rs 400, then ), but I found some reviews quite negative, there are complaints about :

1> Chipping of black color coating (on brass body) in hardly couple of month's normal use .

(If this is the case then it is not a daily (rough) use pen,)

2> Gold wash on clip and cap band goes about the same time. (it is expected in this price range)

3> It writes too broad (Though this is quite subjective but Fine and Medium are to most preferred nib sizes here in India)

I tried this pen at local shop, look wise it is good (but flimsy) and yes, indeed it writes too broad, no doubts about it, well above Medium. The shop keeper asserted the chipping/ peeling off issues as he had several complaints in the past so he stooped carrying this pen , the one I tested was a last leftover piece.

Anyway, my intention was not to rain on your parade but to share some observations.

I think you did a very good job with the review. Your pictures are well done. Thanks.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

I agree!

It gives no pretension whatever to being a fake, maybe just a faint resemblance.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

It is a nice pen. Mine took quite a lot of ultrasonic cleaning and a bit of shimming to get a decent flow. It is indeed very smooth.

Take care if you use long international cartridges - they fit, but tend to get stuck in the barrel :P

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

• 2 weeks later...

I once thought of buying this one from www.flipkart.com (Rs 400, then ), but I found some reviews quite negative, there are complaints about :

1> Chipping of black color coating (on brass body) in hardly couple of month's normal use .

(If this is the case then it is not a daily (rough) use pen,)

2> Gold wash on clip and cap band goes about the same time. (it is expected in this price range)

3> It writes too broad (Though this is quite subjective but Fine and Medium are to most preferred nib sizes here in India)

I tried this pen at local shop, look wise it is good (but flimsy) and yes, indeed it writes too broad, no doubts about it, well above Medium. The shop keeper asserted the chipping/ peeling off issues as he had several complaints in the past so he stooped carrying this pen , the one I tested was a last leftover piece.

Anyway, my intention was not to rain on your parade but to share some observations.

Thanks for your observation! I appreciate it!:-)

I have been using it for about a month and a half, have not found any issues with it yet...Lets see what effects the time brings with! thanks again and write on!:-) :-)

I think you did a very good job with the review. Your pictures are well done. Thanks.

Thanks a lot! Really Glad you Liked It! :-) :-)

It is a nice pen. Mine took quite a lot of ultrasonic cleaning and a bit of shimming to get a decent flow. It is indeed very smooth.

Take care if you use long international cartridges - they fit, but tend to get stuck in the barrel :P

Thanks for the tip! :-)