Hello From The New Guy, And A Few Simple Questions Google Didn't Answer.

Jumpmonkey

Hey all!

I'm quite new, have done some research, but am still learning what questions to ask and how. So I'm having a difficult time finding what I imagine to be some very simple answers.

For starters, I think the pen dries out quickly, but, maybe it doesn't? If I set the pen down, with the cap off, for a minute it seems to die and take forever to revive link to image: https://db.tt/cW57vMBa

Second, I'd like to try out some nibs, but something has given me the feeling that the prevalent 060 series Kaweco nibs are not for the AL sport? What kinds of nibs can I use? I've had zero luck discerning this via searches and reviews. Is there a cheapish way to try out some nibs? Or some certain classes of nib that can be tried to help hone-in on the right nib?

Thirdly, is there a recommended converter for the AL sport? I know there is the tiny squeeze converter, and I've heard varying rumors on the viability of a Monteverde option. I'd really love to get some Ebony Purple to try, but not until I obtain a converter.

Fourthly, thanks for your time and help. Sorry for asking such simple questions, but my Google fu is weak.

He who controls the ink controls the universe!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jumpmonkey

• Runnin_Ute

• Blazing

• Scootz

First off :W2FPN: madhouse!!

Not familiar with the Kaeweco pens, but the easiest way to avoid nib dry out is to cap the pen when you aren't using it. Even if you just slide the nib into the cap... but don't push it all the way on for a snap/slip cap or twist the cap on. Yes, it is kind of a pain if you post the cap. But that is the best way to avoid dry out.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Jetpens.com lists the Kaweco AL Sport as compatible with the Kaweco replacement nib 060. The Monteverde convertor is supposedly an option for older models of the AL Sport where the squeeze convertor doesn't work. No personal experience, though.

Another option is to refill an empty cartridge with the ink of your choice using a blunt syringe, available from Gouletpens.com for just a few dollars. Good luck.

Thanks so much everyone!

Looks like I just need to remember to cap it. It's not hard to post/un-post the pen and even twisting the cap on and off is a quick process. (Aaand as I write the the nib lies naked, exposed and drying in front of me!)

I must have misread concerning the nibs. I bought the Kaweco from Jetpens and looked at the 060's and came away thinking maybe it was for other Sport versions but not the AL.

I'll do some research into recharging cartridges. I have some questions, but I think I can Google up those answers.

He who controls the ink controls the universe!

You should always put the cap for your pen back on unless you're going to write using it for the next 10-20 seconds.

The nibs do fit the Al-Sport, they screw in/out, just empty the pen and clean it then unscrew the nib unit. Don't need to over tighten the unit when putting it back in, just finger tight.

As for converter, Kaweco are coming out with a new one that looks a lot better. They have it listed on their site (http://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/Schreibgeraete/andere_serien/zubehoer/ersatzteile-federn/ersatzteile-federn.php) but i haven't found it for sale yet. An online store in the UK here said they will be carrying it soon, as well as the black nibs that Kaweco are coming out with.

First off :W2FPN: madhouse!!

Not familiar with the Kaeweco pens, but the easiest way to avoid nib dry out is to cap the pen when you aren't using it. Even if you just slide the nib into the cap... but don't push it all the way on for a snap/slip cap or twist the cap on. Yes, it is kind of a pain if you post the cap. But that is the best way to avoid dry out.

+1, I do this all the time in class

Yup ! Liquid ink is supposed to DRY, on the paper. So, don't expose the ink to the air for expended periosd of time, while in pause

from writing. Slipping the pen back into the cap is good. Some ink systems dry faster than others, depending on the brand, and

model. I don't think Kaweco makes a converter. It uses "international standard" cartridges, I think, So, an "international: converter

might fit. I cannot speak to the length, however.

Do you like the Kaweco ? Is it comfortable in your hand ? What would you change about it ?

Refilling a cartridge via syringe is pretty straight forward. The longevity of the seal depends on your careful handling.

* Inserting the needle deep into the cartridge, and injecting water, will flush old ink out of the cartridge.

* Inserting the needle deep into the cartridge, and injecting air, will blast the water out of the cartridge.

* Re-ink the cartridge with a syringe carefully and slowly, or you will make a mess.

* Don't stab yourself with the needle. It will hurt, and get you very little sympathy. Please be careful.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !