The Origin Of Species, Akkerman And Gimborn !

odessa1944

the third model langhals bottle and langhals baby bottle . backsides .http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/odessa19441/edited-image_zpstqkmf0tb.png

Edited by odessa1944

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odessa1944

• amberleadavis

• erpe

• Nandus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

although this bakelite cap is from a liter bottle, this is exactly the same cap as on the langhals bottle.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/odessa19441/edited-image_zps6uvkvqim.png

these metal caps were glued on to corks. Gimborn called them "gripcorks" or "grijpkurken". used for easier gripping corks, these 2 examples were used on the very rare 1st model langhalsfles. in relief it reads "gimborn- Doorn" and "Gimborn Zevenaar".

Gimborn started in the Netherlands in 1902 in the town of `s Heerenberg, moved to the town of Zevenaar in 1904-1905 and the office moved to the town of Doorn in 1925. the ink factory remained in Zevenaar.

In 1931 Gimborn was sold to Pelikan-Germany and was allowed to continue under it`s own name Gimborn. The office had to move back again to Zevenaar. From 1932 Gimborn N.V. Zevenaar operated until 1980. Notice the N.V this means limited company or limited liability company. any label with Gimborn N.V. Zevenaar is therefore from after 1931-1932.

In 1934 Gimborn opened a factory in indonesia and the labels read "Gimborn N.V. Zevenaar en Batavia". batavia is the old dutch name for jakarta city, indonesia. After the war, the factory in indonesia was no longer an issue but the name batavia is sometimes seen on labels after the war. From the mid-fifties the name changed again to "Gimborn N.V. Zevenaar"

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/odessa19441/edited-image_zpsdl9j0pxh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

maybe it is of interest:

I saw this post about a 1933 german patent on these bottles on the penexchange.de forum:

https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?p=268260#p268260

Inventor was Mr. Bargeboer of Haag, NL.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Hi,

maybe it is of interest:

I saw this post about a 1933 german patent on these bottles on the penexchange.de forum:

https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?p=268260#p268260

Inventor was Mr. Bargeboer of Haag, NL.

Best

Jens

Thanks Jens! And idea what that patent number is? I'd love to get hold of it and read it, esp since comments in that penexchange thread say (via Google translate) that the post in the cap is a key claim in the patent. I would have thought it was the marble, but it's likely that I or Google translate misread something from that thread.

The pictures on penexchange.de are kind of blurry and I'm not sure what the patent number is, and I'm having a hard time operating the German patent search. For whatever its worth U.S. patents are painful to search, too, and I speak the language.

Edited by XYZZY

Thanks Jens! And idea what that patent number is? I'd love to get hold of it and read it, esp since comments in that penexchange thread say (via Google translate) that the post in the cap is a key claim in the patent. I would have thought it was the marble, but it's likely that I or Google translate misread something from that thread.

The pictures on penexchange.de are kind of blurry and I'm not sure what the patent number is, and I'm having a hard time operating the German patent search. For whatever its worth U.S. patents are painful to search, too, and I speak the language.

Hi,

well, reading the 2nd picture I would say 641585 meaning DE641585C based on my primitive web search. ;-)

I'm really not experienced in doing patent research...

Anyway, you are right, the patent claim is about the pin on the inside of the cap not the marble.

It is great that we can buy such bottles new today, especially the Akkerman Dutch Masters 120mL one. The overly colorful ugly front label can be removed simply. ;-)

Best

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

thank you for the link, I have documentation from the former director of Gimborn ,Mr Sparenburg. He wrote an article about the longneck bottle and this german story was included in the article. The firm N.V. Dikkers and Bargeboer filed for a patent for the longneckbottle on may 12 ,1933 in holland .They also filed for a patent in france ( september 11, 1933), Germany (decmber 31 1933) Belgium (may 11 1934), Great Britain (may 12, 1934) and switzerland (december 24 1934).The longneck bottle was invented by the firm N.V. Dikkers and Bargeboer for the firm of Gimborn specially.

Mr Bargeboer,his wife and their 2 adult sons were deported to a concentration camp end of 1942, and were killed at Auschwitz, september 24, 1943.

The invention of the longneckbottle was derived from a patent from The firm N.V.Dikkers and Bargeboer for a pump with a ball-valve

Edited by odessa1944

New update:

I recently bought a second model longneck-baby bottle with an unusual label together with it`s original third model cardboard box but with an added small label on the box saying "old model"

I have never seen a baby longneck bottle with this label, not in anyones collection or in any catalogue. the label is a label used on other Gimborn inkbottles.

post-108102-0-64311800-1567285234_thumb.jpg

Edited by odessa1944

Updated photos on first page.

Thank you, Hans!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

while lookin through the online archive of the glassfactory in Leerdam, Holland, I found some technical drawings for the longneckbottles. The dates are not right though, so maybe they were alterations of a later date.

post-108102-0-83134800-1568098844_thumb.jpg

post-108102-0-10714000-1568098870_thumb.jpg

post-108102-0-71359600-1568098885_thumb.jpg

post-108102-0-10385100-1568098906_thumb.jpg

post-108102-0-89862500-1568104679_thumb.jpg

Edited by odessa1944

OOO Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have three Akkerman Bottles and like them. But I'm curious what the function is of the pin in the cap.

fpn_1568455652__img_5435.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

fpn_1568455652__img_5435.jpg

Noihvo nailed it. There was a patent posted here a couple of weeks ago that I forgot to follow up on. They specifically patented the pin to keep the marble from getting jammed in the top. If it gets jammed and you don't see it because it's covered in ink then you might damage the nib by bashing it against the marble.

Noihvo nailed it. There was a patent posted here a couple of weeks ago that I forgot to follow up on. They specifically patented the pin to keep the marble from getting jammed in the top. If it gets jammed and you don't see it because it's covered in ink then you might damage the nib by bashing it against the marble.

exactly right, although the bakelite caps for the one litre bottles are the same as for the longneck bottle, they don`t have the pin. The pin on the inside of the cap is exclusively for the longneck bottle caps.