The Origin Of Species, Akkerman And Gimborn !

odessa1944

PICTURES HAVE BEEN UPDATED - LATER PAGES

relating to the origin of the akkerman bottle, here are a few predecessors of the akkerman bottle, made by the dutch firm of gimborn.

this inkbottle is the very first "longneck-bottle" or langhalsfles although this bottle doesn`t use the marble in the neck yet.

edited-image_zpscdsb6sob.png

this bottle is extremely rare, I know of 2 in a museum and a third I`ve dug up in a bottledump in the netherlands, which I traded with

a former employe of Gimborn.

the second model of the "longneck-bottle" are these ones, in two sizes "the baby-longneck" and the "longneck"

to my knowledge, these bottles preceed the waterman bottle of similar design.

103_2812_zpsmp0zsa7e.jpg

these bottles are the third type of "longneck-bottle" and are similar to the ones produced by Akkerman today.

only the size differs slightly, the Akkerman bottles are slightly smaller.

edited-image_zps7tonhx9z.png

this third type of langhalsfles or "longneck-bottle" later came with a different type of cap, made of yellow bakelite which was more prone to leaking.

103_2849_zps8ku5gk2j.jpg

Edited by amberleadavis
Note about pictures

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odessa1944

• amberleadavis

• SchaumburgSwan

• XYZZY

Ooooh very nice! Thank you!
Does Gimborn still sell ink? Or did they go out of business?

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

around what years were those bottles in first pictures from ?

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

These bottles show up on second hand site Marktplaats sometimes. While you're at it, don't forget to mention the famous Gimborn mannetje ;)

post-98371-0-63224000-1401507316_thumb.jpg

thanks for your replies.

Gimborn was taken over by pelikan in 1980 and pelikan stopped production in the netherlands in 1995. so Gimborn does not produce any inks since 1980.

the first model of longneck was produced from 1929 until 1931-1932 and is therefore very rare. a friend and I have permission to dig at a former dump at a

mental institution in the netherlands. about one year ago I unearthed one bottle of the first longneck type. of course I`m hoping this dump contains more examples of this bottle.

the second type of longneckbottle came to be somewhere in 1935-1936. I have one in my collection, but it is also pretty rare.

the third and most common type can still be found relatively easy on www.marktplaats.nl for around 15 euro`s. the later variant with the yellow bakelite cap is slightly

cheaper.

as a Gimborn collector I will post more gimborn inks in the near future. gimborn has an amazing variety in inkbottles and labels.

Edited by odessa1944

as an after thought,

the third variant of longneck-bottle came in a few different colors. I have seen blue-black, red,violet and green.

103_2829_zpsdpbce89a.jpg

this photo is a part of my own collection

103_2791_zpsqgendbd2.jpg

Edited by amberleadavis

Thank you so much for the historical info about Gimborn.

How did Akkerman come about using the Gimborn style bottle? And why don't other ink makers do something similar?

I picked up 4 bottles of Akkerman last month, they are really cool bottles to look at and are easy to refill from.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I have no idea why Akkerman decided to use the gimborn longneck-bottle other than that the longneck-bottle was a design

by copier (a famous dutch glassware designer) and it is the most iconic inkbottle used by Gimborn. maybe Akkerman was just a fan of the bottle

like many of you.

personally I think that Gimborn has more inkbottles that are deserving of making a comeback. as with the succes of the Akkerman longneck-bottle,

other older designs could be equally succesfull

I myself have no akkerman bottles in my collection yet, but I have seen and held one and in my opinion the plastic cap is a let down.

the original Gimborn bottles have bakelite caps and the difference in appearance is huge . of course, bakelite can no longer be used as it`s manufacture

has ceased. bakelite is made with/from formaldehyde, which is carcinogenic . nevertheless,bakelite was a fantastic product with many uses.

Edited by odessa1944

Gimborn does not exist anymore,here is a small history of Gimborn by Allard Borst (used to be active on FPN) http://vintagepens.nl/articles/De_Gimborn.pdf

Correction: Allard Borst is still is active on fpn... :)

Best regards to you all,

Allard Borst

Have a look at my pens for sale here or follow me @penatelier.
And if you have any information on OWA pens, made by Peter Jungmann somewhere near Heidelberg, Germany, please let me know.

So, who makes empty bottles?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So, who makes empty bottles?

Why, amberlea! I was under the impression that you were among the leading makers of empty ink bottles! :rolleyes:

David

David, that's really funny!!! I am trying!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi Amberlea,

why should someone make empty bottles ?

I don`t really understand your question.

Hi Amberlea,

why should someone make empty bottles ?

I don`t really understand your question.

Aren't all bottles made empty? Except for the air?

Ah, well, if I had a source for new long neck bottles, I'd make sure that the next FPN exclusive ink came in one.