Screw Cap Or Snap-On Cap?

FloatingFountain

Screw or snap-on caps?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer screw or snap-on caps, or do you not care about it?

• I prefer screw caps.
    • I prefer snap-on caps.
    • I don't care.

I guess it all depends for me. A pen I bring to work I'd like a snap cap or VP because I'm constantly writing maybe only 3 characters at a time with long pauses in between (several minutes). So a snap cap would be a lot easier so I can uncap, jot, cap done.

Other than that I like screw caps.

In a situation where I'm only taking very short notes with very long pauses in between, I just use a ... *cough* ... ballpoint.

*RUNS*

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• FloatingFountain

• lynxcat

• Keyless Works

In a situation where I'm only taking very short notes with very long pauses in between, I just use a ... *cough* ... ballpoint.

*RUNS*

I'll admit that I too do this sometimes :(

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

12 pens - 7 screw on & 5 slip/snap cap. Not sure what #13 has - it hasn't arrived yet. Wasn't planned that way, but that's Ok by me.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Both. I prefer a snap on at work, because when I need a pen it is usually because someone has started rifling off something I should already be writing down. For more relaxed writing, and especially for correspondence, I really prefer the methodical unscrewing of a cap, posting my beautiful Sailor, and beginning a letter with a flourish of the arm.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I like the Graf von Faber Castell screw on because they only take a short turn, at least the one I have.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Good snap on caps that also snap on post. The Pilot Prera feels very secure, the Lamy Safari doesn't.

I like the system on my 1970's vintage MB VIP. It has a positive click snap on and a positive click when posting. I think this was also true of the Noblisse models.

I really don't care that much either way. My chosen pair for comparison are a Sheaffer Snorkel, and a P51(multi-start threaded cap, and a clutch-ring slip cap respectively).

They both work very well for me, and neither comes off in my pocket, so they both meet my requirements for use! I've had a Safari come uncapped in my pocket ONCE, fortunately it did not slip far enough to expose the nib, but I think I had failed to securely snap the cap back on. Either way, I've decided that those go in only shirt pockets where I won't put excessive pull on the cap (as they get in my front pants pockets.)

I generally don't care.

However, I have to say I have a screw-top at work, and I'm thinking about getting a snap on because sometimes it takes just a little too long when I'm unscrewing when I need to write down information for someone. (I work at a library.)

I only bring inexpensive pens to work, so maybe a Lamy.

Quick notes here and there during the day - snap on. Sheaffer Intrigue and Taranis.

Sit down and write a letter or sipping a coffee whilst sketching - screw cap. It almost becomes a little ritual. Noodler's Ahab, Nib Creeper, Pilot Falcon etc

THE best ever, Visconti clip screw thingy. Love it.

(although never carry it in your trouser pocket as it'll come undone in a thrice - thank goodness the nib wasn't damaged)

I prefer screw on caps because I know that the cap can't come off in the case in my bag. I am aware that some brands of push on cap can loosen after a time

the only caps that have ever come off on me unintentionally, or even come close to it, have all been screw caps. for what it's worth. still, that's been a rare enough occurrence that i don't take it into any account when i consider my preferences.

I prefer screw-on caps simply because my Parker 21's cap cannot seem to ever be on just right; it's either too loose and comes off or too tight and ends up unscrewing the section a bit when I try to remove it. My screw caps are always on snug and come off right away.

Snap-on or srew-on doesn't matter, as long as the system works the way it is supposed to work. And no problems with shirts etc. when you use a pencase.

• 4 weeks later...

screw on caps for me

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Unscrewing screw caps have accounted for numerous pocketfuls of ink in my jackets over the decades.