Screw Cap Or Snap-On Cap?

FloatingFountain

Screw or snap-on caps?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer screw or snap-on caps, or do you not care about it?

• I prefer screw caps.
    • I prefer snap-on caps.
    • I don't care.

Very simple question: do you prefer a screw or snap-on cap, or is it something you don't care about?

Personally, I've discovered that I was gravitating toward screw caps, and now I'm firmly in that camp, so much so that I'm not going to buy a pen with a snap-on cap again. I feel I have more control over uncapping the pen when unscrewing as opposed to pulling the cap off.

The Sonnet I recently received will be exchanged because of drying out (I still find it impossible to believe that Parker STILL hasn't fixed that!), and it won't be replaced by a pen with a snap-on cap. It will probably be replaced by a Sailor ProGear.

So... screw, snap, or don't care?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• FloatingFountain

• Keyless Works

• TheModernGent

Screw on, snap on, meh..., but I do insist on having a matching cap with pocket clip.

I prefer snap on caps for the ease of removing and replacing. I particulary like the Visconti magnetic cap. I do have three Pelikans I won't give up with screw on caps, but I find I use the snap cap pens more often. Don't foget the Pilot VP. That's my EDC pen.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Screw on caps loosened all too often for my taste. I never have one in my shirt pocket, but they come loose in my briefcase. I prefer a pen with a positive lock to the cap.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Screw on caps loosened all too often for my taste. I never have one in my shirt pocket, but they come loose in my briefcase. I prefer a pen with a positive lock to the cap.

I never had a cap loosen, but then again, I always have the currently filled fountain pen(s) in a pen pouch.

I had one come loose in the pen pouch in my briefcase. The mess was in the pouch, adding character to the pouch.

In the end I don't care if the pen is worth the hassle of screw on caps. They are what they are, and you can't make a manufacturer do it your way. It's take it or leave it. Sort of like piston fillers versus other filler types. If you like a pen, fill it the way it was designed. If not, don't buy it

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Not to go off topic but I have one of the original Visconti Van Gogh fountain pens with the 3 K ( I think it's call) locking cap...does anyone know why they stopped using it? I think its a really nice system because you can easily uncap the pen with 1 hand. Its almost like a hybrid between a snap cap and a screw on.

I slightly prefer screw-on caps, if they have enough turns to go.

But I will happily buy a snap-on.

The Visconti Bayonet-fitting is nice as well. Their magnetic version of the snap-on seems rust prone.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

A well designed and made cap regardless of style. ST Dupont, Sheaffer, Caran d'Ache, Graf von Faber Castell, Parker "51", 45, all have well designed and made slip on caps. The Parker Sonnet was a pretty crummy pen.

Pelikan screw caps a pretty bad; they really need a firm twist. It gets scary at times and I've had more than one come uncapped in my pocket.

There is no one answer, it really depends on the specific pen.

My Website

I prefer a screw cap. Some of the snap caps I've used require enough force either uncapping or capping to splash ink all over the inside of the cap. The screw cap also seems to stay attached more easily (unless it doesn't require enough turns).

That said, I have a Monteverde Regatta Sport with a magnetic cap, and it's just insanely fun to cap and uncap it!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

my absolute favorite is for the P51-style "slide on" caps, as on the Hero 1000 and 329 (and the 616, though mine's so cheaply made that i don't count it). caps that have a positive "snap" at the bottom are about equally tied with screw-ons in my estimate. either way it's not a huge difference to me, i can cope with every cap mechanism i've run into so far.

It depends. If it is an "on the go" pocket pen I prefer a snap cap ie. P51. For desk or home use I prefer the screw caps, But only a little. I guess it really depends on the pen.and the circumstances it is used for. Is this being indecisive enough? :wallbash:

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I have more screw-on caps in rotation than slip-on caps.

But I prefer slip-on caps. Screw-on caps tend to come off to easily and too often, unless you tighten them really hard - which I don't like to do.

Greetings,

Michael

I guess it all depends for me. A pen I bring to work I'd like a snap cap or VP because I'm constantly writing maybe only 3 characters at a time with long pauses in between (several minutes). So a snap cap would be a lot easier so I can uncap, jot, cap done.

Other than that I like screw caps.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I don't mind either as long as the threads don't wear out or the snap cap mechanism doesn't wear out quickly.

I prefer screw on caps, but that wouldn't stop me from purchasing a fountain pen I like with a snap on cap.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I always fear, and probably without reason, that I'm going to wear out the firm fit of the snap cap and that it will one day get loose and fall off. It's never happened to me, just an irrational fear. As such, I prefer screw-on caps.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I always fear, and probably without reason, that I'm going to wear out the firm fit of the snap cap and that it will one day get loose and fall off. It's never happened to me, just an irrational fear. As such, I prefer screw-on caps.

PELIKAN 100N, M101N Lizard, 120 (I), 120 (II), 130 Ibis, 140, 140, M100, M100, M100, M100, M100, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M215, M215, M215, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M481, M481, 400, 400NN, 400NN, 500NN, M400, M400, M400, M405, M405, M425, M600, M600, M800, M800, M20 Silvexa

One might have guessed. :)