Elegant Pen For Her

ksaarto

I'd like to get an elegant looking and very reasonable priced FP for my wife. She currently has a Jinhao 950, that she immediately wanted when she saw me browsing it on ebay,

post-113635-0-50374500-1401264415.jpg

I also like how Pelican M400 (white tortoise) looks like, but that too is around 300€.
post-113635-0-35926000-1401264417.jpg
Based on those examples, perhaps someone could give me some suggestions (you can suggest an accompanying ink too) of pens in 5-100$ range. It does not have be new, either.
Thanks,

post-113635-0-56424600-1401264416_thumb.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ksaarto

• inkstainedruth

• owend

• Ghost Plane

I love my Lady Sheaffer V (1959, I believe. Each year in this series was assigned a Roman numeral). It's elegant, feminine and much lighter than the Jinhao's. I also enjoy the hooded nib. Check out Peyton Street Pens.

How about a white and rose gold Sailor Pro Gear? Its a bit over your price range, but you didnt mention any time constraints so maybe you can save up for it. I'm sure she wouldn't mind the wait:-)

@arts_nibs

How about a white and rose gold Sailor Pro Gear? Its a bit over your price range, but you didnt mention any time constraints so maybe you can save up for it. I'm sure she wouldn't mind the wait:-)

Its a good looking pen, something to add to my wishlist for sure.

However, in this case it's not about can I afford it or not, its more about getting something that can be used without worrying _that_ much about damaging or losing it. I want her to be able to carry it around, leave at her table at work... etc without feeling guilty if something happens to it.

White tortoise! White tortoise! I'm not a woman but this pen was my dream pen for 7 years until I finally bought it this year. Earlier this year martini auctions had several of them up for bidding and most ended around $200. The lowest listing I've seen ended at $187 with free shipping. I think you can still find them at those prices if you look around the web. It's still over the $100 budget, but personally the beauty is well worth the price.

White tortoise! White tortoise! I'm not a woman but this pen was my dream pen for 7 years until I finally bought it this year.

It sure is a beauty and I would gladly get one for myself. Well, if my enthusiasm spreads to my wife, I can give her pens like this as a wedding day gift, so keep suggestions coming even if they are out of the set price range.

Edited by ksaarto

Its a good looking pen, something to add to my wishlist for sure.

However, in this case it's not about can I afford it or not, its more about getting something that can be used without worrying _that_ much about damaging or losing it. I want her to be able to carry it around, leave at her table at work... etc without feeling guilty if something happens to it.

Pilot Cavalier.

I don't know if these would be to your liking, but they all go for about £100 they're part of the Parker Sonnet Feminine Collection.

ksaarto good luck with your quest.

I have the Pelican tortoise and the MB Princess Grace. Both are beautiful pens. All of the pens in the MB Diva collection are elegant and would be great choices.

I agree with previous comments regarding the Sheaffer pens from Peyton Street pens. Check out their NOS pens. There are some really nice selections. I started with Sheaffer pens years ago which began my love of fountain pens. I still enjoy them for the way the Sheaffers helped my handwriting and continue to use them on a regular basis.

Another simple but elegant pen is a Waterman Carene. I have the marine amber and get many compliments on it. Plus it is a truly enjoyable writer.

Interesting question. Do you want to go modern or vintage? Bling-y or understated? Take out of the house or be afraid to lose it?

I myself tend toward understated, but then, I'm not so much a girly girl (favorite pens are Parker 51s). While the Pelikan white tortoise is pretty, I found that I prefer the brown tortoise coloration -- the tortoise part on the white model is a bit too green-tinged for my taste (and I would have worried about staining the white part). I would scope out Ebay or the classifieds here -- I got my m400 BT for quite a bit under what a new 400 would cost (and while I *thought* I wanted the blue striatated, I find that the tortoise is really lovely. If you think the white tortoise would be okay in spite of my caveats, I would recommend that over the MB.

Other possibilities (especially if you want to go vintage): Parker Vacumatic (I have 3 -- the Azure Blue and Silver Pearl finishes are especially pretty), or something with an overlay: while Watermans are quite pricy, I picked up a lovely little Morrison ring top with a gold filled filagree overlay at DCSS last summer. It has a juicy nib and is probably the only pen I would consider "fancy looking" and "girly" (and was around $100 US, even after buying another jump ring and g-f clamshell clasp so I could hang it on a self-made black silk cording lanyard). If I could find another one, but with a sterling silver overlay, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat (I tend to prefer silver over gold for looks, myself; if I got one I'd probably put it on a purple silk cording lanyard, rather than the black).

As for inks, I don't know what colors she would like, but for "romantic" I'd look at Iroshihzuku Yama-budo or De Atramentis Red Roses. Both are lovely inks; and the D'A is also scented, and smells like "real" roses (aka heirloom varieties).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi,

Very good suggestions so far!

The pens that Sheaffer made with ladies in mind are very appealing: made for writing, yet with a classy flair.

I'll add to the range by suggesting a Parker 45 with one of the Harlequin designs.

- The pen is great for daily use, and is slightly slender. The semi-hooded nib makes it a bit more discrete than pens with an open nib. Being a Flighter (metal cap & barrel) is has a bit of heft. An absolute breeze to clean-up. Interchangeable steel & 14K nibs too.

- The Harlequin designs are somewhat rare, so that adds to the bottom line over than more common 45 models, but still within your cost constraint.

And OK, the Pelikan White Tortoise will just have to bide its time...

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The Vacumatic is a very good suggestion from Ruth. The smaller deb models can be had at nice prices.

You also might look at a few of the slender Duke models .... Pens with gold nibs can be had for under $100.

Good luck in finding the perfect gift!

Teri

Pilot Cavalier.

Oh, this is good one. Thanks!

I have the Pelican tortoise and the MB Princess Grace. Both are beautiful pens. All of the pens in the MB Diva collection are elegant and would be great choices.

I agree with previous comments regarding the Sheaffer pens from Peyton Street pens. Check out their NOS pens.

Another simple but elegant pen is a Waterman Carene. I have the marine amber and get many compliments on it. Plus it is a truly enjoyable writer.

I'll need to check out Diva Collection, even if they are just daydreams right now. Peyton Street is definetely getting order from me, some great NOS there. Now, that Waterman Carene, at first I was a bit put off when I saw a picture of it, but when zoomed in more, its beauty started to emerge. Thanks, its not gonna be easy to pick the one (or first) to get among all these beautiful pens.

Interesting question. Do you want to go modern or vintage? Bling-y or understated? Take out of the house or be afraid to lose it?

I'd say Vintage, Understated and Taking it out of the house :) My wife is not that girly girl either, so no rainbows, ponies or pink gemstones.

I see that the De Atramentis even smells of roses. Might be too much. I really appreciate your well thought out answer, Ruth, I got some good pointers. I did not find too good pics of the Vacumatics, but I'll keep looking.

If Parker Vacumatics are in the fray, I'll also toss in Sheaffer Balances in Rose Glow or Striated Carmine in as a suggestion as well. Both should be available in the smaller sizes for reasonable prices, although rose glow may push it a bit. Really beautiful pens, and great writers.

Calculating.

True Writer Silver Anniversary
gunmetal finish, bit heavier at 30 grams, c/c filler $99 @levenger.com

goes to the office with me daily. May or may not use daily. Diamine Sherwood Green is what I usually have in it.

Stock photo from Levenger site:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Fountain%20Pens/TrueWriterSilverAnniversaryAP9950_0312_zpsb8b12b4d.jpg

Compared to a Esterbrook J:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Fountain%20Pens/20130731_195706_zps2ef2fd4c.jpg

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/20130221_093852_zps53b62438.jpg

Add photo links

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain