http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2013-Ink_809.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morames

• amberleadavis

• mhguda

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_099.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_103.jpg

And this one because it is my favorite...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_127-BSB.jpg

You do not mention Pilot blue (not the fancy Iroshizuku but regular) that can be found at Jetpens. I think - if I interpret your color pics right - that it is pretty close to what you're looking for, but you want a little more of what Zircon has. I have both, and I've mixed them to good result. Why not try that? I find you can be looking for the perfect blue ink until you're blue in the face, but when you mix what you already have that's close, the ideal color can pop out... I know that worked for me. Also, some inks change color, becoming much darker, when exposed to light for some time. I've had ink in a transparent barrel demonstrator, and it darkened visibly over the weeks it took to write the pen empty. This increases the possibility of color combining to an alarming degree, of course.

I've never tried mixing ink, with the one exception being the Diamine Oxblood that didn't completely wash out when I filled my Montblanc 24 with Noodler's Apache Sunset. Now my NAS has a slightly brown hue that I'm not overly fond of. Diluting and Mixing ink is something I've been leery of since I have some Noodler's Baystate Blue that mixed with a touch of Shaeffer black and turned to jelly. Do you have a recommendation on how to mix the Pilot Blue and he Zircon? (also do you know what Diamine ink Zircon is? I saw someone guess it was Aqua Blue, but that looks far too light to be correct. Maybe Florida blue?) I love Zircon, it's such a lovely color.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2013-Ink_625a.jpg

I have picked up a sample of Organics Jules Verne. It always looked exactly like the ink I'm trying to find when I looked at the sample on gouletpens.com however it looks far more like the Tsuyu-Kusa/Diamine Royal Blue/Washable Blue when seen in person.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_099.jpg

I like the Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa so much I bought a bottle. It's gorgeous, but I need to find a better pen to fill it in. The one I currently have it in needs a less leaky standard converter. I did notice though that it looks just like the Hi-Tec-C aqua blue sample I have. For some reason the other aqua blue has a touch more green in it though.

And this one because it is my favorite...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_127-BSB.jpg

This ink reminds me of a slightly less purple slightly lighter version of Noodler's Baystate Blue or maybe J Herbin eclat de saphir or even Parker Penman Sapphire. What ink is it?

Did you recently change your profile pic from the one of inky to the other three ghosts? Also is the second one the Organics Studio Accident? I can't seem to locate the ink name, only the brand name. Love all of the pictures though. I'm jealous of anyone who has a large library of inks and a J Herbin glass dip pen to play with. Some day when my tiny children are old enough to know better I plan to get one ;-)

I find you can be looking for the perfect blue ink until you're blue in the face,

I believe this is the most true statement on this post. I have come across so many wonderful shades and colors, but trying to match it just seems almost inconceivable at this point. I love traversing the path though.

The beauty of discovering the perfect blue lies in the journey--not the destination.

This ink reminds me of a slightly less purple slightly lighter version of Noodler's Baystate Blue or maybe J Herbin eclat de saphir or even Parker Penman Sapphire. What ink is it?

Did you recently change your profile pic from the one of inky to the other three ghosts? Also is the second one the Organics Studio Accident? I can't seem to locate the ink name, only the brand name. Love all of the pictures though. I'm jealous of anyone who has a large library of inks and a J Herbin glass dip pen to play with. Some day when my tiny children are old enough to know better I plan to get one ;-)

Yes, that's BSB.

And the 3 Ghosts are a gift from a fellow FPNer.

Oops is Accident.

These pictures were all taken with my iphone 4s outside on a bright sunny day. I'm sorry if some of them are washed out at all.

post-113136-0-87449200-1403630490_thumb.jpgpost-113136-0-92509600-1403630491_thumb.jpgpost-113136-0-88957100-1403630487_thumb.jpgpost-113136-0-39335200-1403630489_thumb.jpg

I tried using my Epson Workforce 645 to scan these in and the blues became homogenous. The photos are more color accurate, though they are almost impossible to light up perfectly due to the paper curl and wind outside. I have a better camera, but the file size is a little hard to pin down.

Regarding the mixing: take a small vial with the Pilot blue, and try a few drops at the time of Zircon added. Give it time to mix and try with a dip pen. Or, if it takes too long, get reckless and add in larger quantities (relative). Good luck; I hope you find a close approximation to what you're looking for.

And sorry, no, I don't know what Diamine ink it would be, other than the one you already have: Aqua blue. I have not tried Aqua blue. But I do love the Zircon, and have a bottle coming.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Oops. Double post - no idea why.

Edited by mhguda

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

You might also want to get in on trying a few really cool special blues.

Do you want to do an Ink Powder test?

I got my Namiki Blue today, and mixed 3mL of Namiki Blue with 1mL of Chesterfield Zircon. I think next time I'll go the other way and put 3 mL zircon with 1 mL Namiki since I want a little more green in my blue. Any ideas on how to lighten the color without losing saturation? I heard platinum no mix has a clear ink for that purpose specifically, but I'm not sure how that would work with these two different brand inks.

Mixing inks is risky business! Even inks from the same brand can react in unexpected ways, even to the point of damaging a pen. I start with just a Couple cc's and a dropper, allowing a week just to verify no reaction. Then I make another vial of the same mix, keeping the original put away for a bit longer to see if it precipitates or develops sludge or jells.

Mixing inks can be a lot of fun if you keep an eye on things. Oh, and take notes, lots of notes.

Paul

Edited by kidde

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

I think it might be worth picking up some Platinum Mix-Free and the dilution fluid. With that you can create the exact shade you are looking for. The dilution fluid is essentially clear ink, has the same flow properties as ink so won't affect it's performance like water will. Check out the Goulet Ink Nouveau video on the Platinum brand where they discuss the inks. I have most of them and have played around with them and you can get some pretty impressive results with it, definitely worth looking into.

I think it might be worth picking up some Platinum Mix-Free and the dilution fluid. With that you can create the exact shade you are looking for. The dilution fluid is essentially clear ink, has the same flow properties as ink so won't affect it's performance like water will. Check out the Goulet Ink Nouveau video on the Platinum brand where they discuss the inks. I have most of them and have played around with them and you can get some pretty impressive results with it, definitely worth looking into.

Ha! Platinum no mix...I have issues. Yeah, I learned about them from that Q&A Rachel and Brian did, and the clear ink too. I saw some intriguing colors by searching online about them. $20 each though will take me a while to work up to the full set.