Planning On Getting A Pilot Pen (Expensive)

TheAkwardNinja

I have had mine for several years and I don't baby it and no chipped paint on mine. It is a durable pen and Pilot makes a very high quality product. Chipping paint sounds more like abuse than a manufacturing defect...I could be wrong. I would imagine that the matte painted models are more prone to scratches so if you are worried about durability you would likely be better off with a high gloss model.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheAkwardNinja

• Drone

• Algester

• TheModernGent

Really, I thought the matte models would be more durable, but thanks for the advice! Is it possible that someone upload a photo of the vanishing point in comparison to say a Lamy or another pen, such as the Metropolitan?

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

Have several VPs and really like them. Tried the Falcon and didn't care for it. Bought a Justus 95 and can't take it out of rotation, just love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Is the matte slightly thicker than the chrome body?

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

But I keep hearing this stuff about how the VP will have chipping paint.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Goulet Q&A Episode 33, Open Forum

http://www.inknouveau.com/2014/05/goulet-q-episode-33-open-forum.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3Udz42W_I

6) @andsplat- Twitter (20:11):

Should I protect my Pilot VP matte black from scratches or let it wear? Are there damage risks besides aesthetics?

* totally personal preference

* Pen slip helps tremendously

* black finish will scratch, so don’t freak out if it does

* never heard of functional damage, just aesthetics

So still flip flopping, but what about the stargazer, the body looks so beautiful!!

1. The "Stargazer" sold in the U.S. is actually the "Stella 90S" sold in Japan. Try buying the Stella 90S from a Japanese Dealer (like I mentioned previously in this thread) and you may save as much as 40-50% before shipping. The registered shipping from Japan won't be much more than USPS domestic, and may even be less. For example the first Stella 90S Japanese "Buy It Now" I yanked off ebaY was about $85 USD while the identical in all but the name Stargazer from Goulet Pens is $152 USD. If you are obsessed with warranties, then stick with the more expensive Stargazer.

2. The Stargazer/Stella 90S is a brass pen. I have never written with one, but I've heard tell the pen is heavy, too heavy for some when writing over extended periods. I've heard the problem only gets worse if you write posted, the cap is brass too which makes the pen unbalanced and heavier. I don't like heavy unbalanced pens and I always write posted, so the brass Stargazer may be a no go for me. But others may not care about the weight. You might want to get an opinion on this weight thing from an actual owner/user of this pen.

3. The Stargazer/Stella 90S has a snap on instead of threaded cap. This isn't a deal killer for many, but like me some prefer a threaded cap on a fountain pen for security and because snap on caps are usually associated with low-cost fountain pens. I would expect a $153 pen with a gold nib to have a threaded cap. At around eighty bucks, I'm on the fence about it.

4. The Stargazer/Stella 90S is available in Rhodium plated nib and furniture only; even though the nib is 14K gold. I much prefer gold to rhodium, especially when the pen has a solid gold nib. But many prefer the opposite. Just so you know - you don't have a choice with this pen - rhodium only.

5. The section on the Stargazer/Stella 90S is always black regardless of the pen color you choose. Also the section is pretty long. Some may think the big black section breaks up the continuity of the red, blue, and (certainly) white versions of this pen. I do. This isn't an issue with the black version of this pen.

6. I hear the Stella 90S comes with a CON-20 converter but the pen will take a CON-70. That's a cheap move by Pilot. Be careful with the Stargazer, I don't know just what converter it comes with - if any. In fact be careful with any C/C pen you buy via mail. Some (not all of-course) sellers pull the converters from the boxes just so they can soak you for a few more bucks. Ask the seller about the converter and get them to throw one in for you or at-least sell you a converter if it is not included.

Here are a couple of Stella 90S reviews for you:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/68104-pilot-stella-90s-a-new-pen-for-2008-from-pilot/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/63250-pilot-stella-90s/

While you are in the FPN Pilot Pen Review area, browse around. You might see another Pilot pen you like. Most any Pilot pen still in production today can be had through Japanese dealers.

Edited by Drone

So if you know me, I have been iching for a new pen, but instead of getting a cheap pen, I want to save for the higher end pens from Pilot. There are so many from Pilot. Can anyone give me an idea of what pen I should get, and the pros and cons of them.

Thanks!!!!!

Pilot Custom 823 - fantastic pen. There's a reason why Neil Gaiman uses one (Google it!).

What about the Pilot Lucina. I especially like the Mandarin Yellow-like version.This pen goes for around $80 in the U.S. (Jetpens) or around $45-$50 USD direct from Japan. Not too heavy, threaded cap. The nib is plated steel, but I hear it is a good performer. Gold-tone furniture. I've heard the bold nib is harder to find though. Here's a page with pics of all the colors. Black, blue, yellow, & red (orangish-red?):

Here's a must-see review:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/34885-pilot-lucina/

Pictures of all the colors and versions (not affiliated):

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Lucina-Fountain-Pens/ct/734

Personally, I forgot all about the Lucina. Maybe I'll pick up a yellow one for myself on my next Japan order.

P.S., Just took a quick glance at Amazon, $53 USD w/free shipping to anyone (not just Prime members). Also on Rakuten I spotted a matching line of ballpoint/rollerball Lucina pens. Did not know about those.

Edited by Drone

Are the Pilot nibs considered wet writers?

I don't want something that high end, just a boost from my ordinary price range. But I think I narrowed it down to:

Custom 74

Vanishing Point

Stella 90S (Stargazer)

My thoughts: the Stargazer might be too small, I have never written with such a small pen, the Metropolitan is perfect length for me, both capped and posted. The Vanishing point is the same closed length as the Metro. The 74 only has its demonstrater and light weight as a pros. Any other pros and cons?

If you don't care about the demonstrator part of the 74 you could get a Custom 742 for about the same money and this will have the larger #10 nib instead of the #5...the trim is nicer and the pen overall looks a bit better. I would say the quality between the two is exactly the same though.

my first pilot pen is a CH 91... its the only first CH line that has soft nibs can't say I can't hate it its a very wet lovely pen and it's also a semi-flex not platinum non-broke in springy. but it depends... do you like semi-flexy or nails... I find that the common PIlot gold nibs write like nails... good but write like nails

if you want to get a bit more expensive with the main Pilot pens

Elabo/Falcon in metal seeing that your interested in the Capless/Vanishing Point

or the CH912 which is the big brother of the CH91 with that number 10 nib as oppose to CH91's number 5

and if were talking about 10000 yen price range you have like a good 11 models to choose from 10000 yen thats about 100 USD

a bit higher up would be the 18K-20K yen 150USD-200USD

starting with the Capless ending with the Custom 912

25K-30K yen and up 200+ USD

Justus

Parana sutra

Capless raiden

Elabo

most of which are not outside Japan except

Justus

Capless/Vanishing Point

Elabo/Falcon

Custom 823

Custom 74

Custom 92

Cocoon/Metropolitan

Prera iro-ai

Stella90S/Stargazer

in their different price range

I seriously do not know whats with Pilot USA's naming licensing...

Edited by Algester

I don't want something that high end, just a boost from my ordinary price range. But I think I narrowed it down to:

Custom 74

Vanishing Point

Stella 90S (Stargazer)

My thoughts: the Stargazer might be too small, I have never written with such a small pen, the Metropolitan is perfect length for me, both capped and posted. The Vanishing point is the same closed length as the Metro. The 74 only has its demonstrater and light weight as a pros. Any other pros and cons?

I've always been wary of the Vanishing Point because of the way the clip is at the nib-end of the pen instead of the opposite end. That just looks strange to me and I'm concerned it will cause problems when I'm trying to hold it, though obviously other people are fine with it.

The clip also intrigues me, which I love. And to answer the question. I prefer a bouncy, but mostly firm nail.

I've always been wary of the Vanishing Point because of the way the clip is at the nib-end of the pen instead of the opposite end. That just looks strange to me and I'm concerned it will cause problems when I'm trying to hold it, though obviously other people are fine with it.

If you have a problem holding it you can just see it as an opportunity to learn how to properly hold a pen.

Get a VP in medium. You won't regret it. Honestly none of the other Pilot pens are nearly as interesting as the VP. Don't get me wrong, I own several of the Custom series, falcon, bamboo, etc. and they are splendid... but really the VP is such an exciting and innovative pen.. in my opinion it is a pen everyone should try at least once.

Edited by Betweenthelines