Questions For Owners For The Italix Captain's Commission Italic Point

johntdavis

Hello. :)

I'm thinking of getting one of these. They're lovely, SBRE Brown devotes at least two videos to raving about how smooth the nib is, and it seems like a really affordable way to try out a right foot (for left-handed persons) oblique.

I had some questions, though, and thought I would check in here for opinions before I contacted Mr Pen on their website, in case others were wondering the same things.

So...

1. I see that there's a left handed oblique italic, but not a left handed oblique cursive italic stub. Is the left handed oblique italic suitable for cursive writing? This is how I write 95 percent of the time, unless I'm filling out a form, so I'd want a nib that could do this well without trying to eat the paper.
  2. The page has this warning: "Please note the finer the italic the less obvious is the thick and thin line definition. Our fine italic only shows a marginal difference between the thick and thin strokes." This surprised me a bit. The page lists the fine italic had a thick width of 0.85mm. I've got a 0.9 mm Pendleton Point stub-italic, and the variation with it is certainly quite noticeable. Do those of you with F italic nibs think you're getting good variation, or if I'm going for variation should I just go ahead and move up to the 1.1mm nib?
  3. Is the 1.1mm oblique italic about the same line width as a 1.1mm stub from, say, Monteverde? I personally find this width just a bit too much for every-day writing, but I have small handwriting.

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StevenSur

• johntdavis

• Guernseytim

• Timotheus

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always looking as they get great reviews.

You may be lucky and get a response from Mr Pen on here as he has responded to people's comments and questions in the past.

I'm thinking of getting one of these. They're lovely, SBRE Brown devotes at least two videos to raving about how smooth the nib is, and it seems like a really affordable way to try out a right foot (for left-handed persons) oblique.

I had some questions, though, and thought I would check in here for opinions before I contacted Mr Pen on their website, in case others were wondering the same things.

So...

1. I see that there's a left handed oblique italic, but not a left handed oblique cursive italic stub. Is the left handed oblique italic suitable for cursive writing? This is how I write 95 percent of the time, unless I'm filling out a form, so I'd want a nib that could do this well without trying to eat the paper.
  2. The page has this warning: "Please note the finer the italic the less obvious is the thick and thin line definition. Our fine italic only shows a marginal difference between the thick and thin strokes." This surprised me a bit. The page lists the fine italic had a thick width of 0.85mm. I've got a 0.9 mm Pendleton Point stub-italic, and the variation with it is certainly quite noticeable. Do those of you with F italic nibs think you're getting good variation, or if I'm going for variation should I just go ahead and move up to the 1.1mm nib?
  3. Is the 1.1mm oblique italic about the same line width as a 1.1mm stub from, say, Monteverde? I personally find this width just a bit too much for every-day writing, but I have small handwriting.

Thanks!

I am waiting for my Itlix fine italic today, maybe able to comment later of the day. :D

Edited by lzykramer

I have received my Italix Captain's Commission with the OM italic nib and it has been hard to put it down. (I have wasted quite a lot of perfectly good paper just writing nonsense with it.)

You shouldn't be worried about the Italic grind: the nib glides accross the paper. This pen is the first pen in my collection with an italic nib (also the first oblique nib), but I haven't experienced any difficulty in finding the right angle.

As for the size, I was a bit worried at first that the 1.1 mm line might be a bit thick for my handwriting. It certainly is quite a lot broader than what any of my other pens lays down, but it is quickly growing on me. I am even thinking of getting the OB Italic in the near future. (I am starting to fear that the Captain's Commission might be the source of an addiction to broader nibs.) Sadly, I cannot (yet) compare it to other 1,1 mm stubs.

"Je suis un homme-plume. Je sens par elle, à cause d'elle, par rapport à elle et beaucoup plus avec elle." (Gustave Flaubert)

I forgot to add that when I inquired about the size of the OM Italic Nib, Mr.Ford answered that the oblique enlarges the broad stroke "fractionally" compared to the Medium Italic Nib.

"Je suis un homme-plume. Je sens par elle, à cause d'elle, par rapport à elle et beaucoup plus avec elle." (Gustave Flaubert)

So...

Thanks!

Our cursive nib has a rounded tip to prevent the nib digging the paper, but the price paid is a reduced thick and thin line. The oblique is an italic but cut to an angle and is italic (or you can have a standard nib with an angled tip). The cursive is a correction not required on an italic.

Our current fine italic or oblique italic is slightly wider than it used to be (0.75) and gives a reasonable thick thin line definition. The pens are free flowing, this causes spread, so again on some papers will reduce the stroke. As to Monteverde, I have no idea. MrPen

Edited by pjford

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know the weight of the Captain's Commission uncapped? Maybe Mr. Ford could kindly answer this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

• 3 years later...

52 gr capped, 28 gr uncapped.

Italix Captain's Commission F – Italix Parson's Essential F – Kaweco Dia2 EF – Pilot Custom 74 SF – Sailor 1911 Simply Black F – TWSBI Classic EF – Rotring Altro F

“As for the qualities of which you may know, ‘These qualities lead to dispassion, not to passion; to being unfettered, not to being fettered; to shedding, not to accumulating; to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to entanglement; to aroused persistence, not to laziness; to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome’: You may definitely hold, ‘This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher’s instruction.’”