What Waterman Should I Buy?

william2001

I'm new to FPN, but I'm a pretty experienced fountain pen user. I have many Parker pens, but I'm thinking of buying a Waterman also. Any recommendations? Thanks. :)

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• william2001

• OcalaFlGuy

• erpe

Top Posters In This Topic

Carene or Edson.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

New or Vintage? Name 2 or 3 of your favorite pens so we have Something to go on.

EDIT; Also your price range.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

My favorite pens are Sonnet and Duofold. I can go with any price range as long as it is worth it. I prefer fine nib (if that is what you meant)

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

The Edson is the top pen, IMHO, but the slightly more humble Carene is the better pen for the money. You could get 3 or more Carenes for one Edson.

Carene compares a bit to the Sonnet in thickness, but is longer, and one class up IMHO.

Same goes for Duofold and Edson

But have a look at the even more humble little Charleston. Cheaper than a Carene but Gold nib and Watermans only screw-on cap. Has a fairly small nib but is a good writer.

All modern Watermans are known for their rigid nibs, but smoothhhhhhh

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have several Sonnets. They are probably most like Charleston, but I like Sonnets better. I bought a Carene in fine for $150 that was really worth three Sonnets. The Carene's 18K nib is more solid and stiff than a Sonnet 18K, and the Carene is very, very smooth, more so than a Sonnet. The cap of the Carene is hard to post if you want to do that. The Sonnet nib isn't scratchier than the Carene, but it does give more feedback.

I haven't used the Edson, but I have the Duofold. I like the Duofold's looks. If the Edson is to the Duofold as the Carene is to the Sonnet, I would rather save for whatever it took to buy the Edson. Least expensive one I saw on sale was $500. You might get lucky.

I have taken a Waterman Phileas bought for about $60, installed a gold 18K extra fine nib from a L'etalon ($60 shipped), and arrived at something almost comparable to a Sonnet, having a more solid 18K nib and a plastic body.

Basically, the Waterman fine nibs are a bit more solid and smoother than the Sonnet nibs. A similar comparison could be drawn between the Sonnet steel and gold nibs and the Pelikan M200 steel nibs and M400 gold nibs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Thanks

My favorite pens are Sonnet and Duofold. I can go with any price range as long as it is worth it. I prefer fine nib (if that is what you meant)

In that case, go for the Edson.

Interesting opinions, let me add mine as a Sonnet user of a few decades: Have a look at the Expert. They're in the same class. In comparison I would say that the Parker nib feels a bit softer.

Edited by erpe

Interesting opinions, let me add mine as a Sonnet user of a few decades: Have a look at the Expert. They're in the same class. In comparison I would say that the Parker nib feels a bit softer.

I agree with this. The Parker nibs seem to flex more than Carene nibs, which does not mean that Sonnet nibs are for flexible writing, they are not. Sonnet nibs are just less rigid than Carene nibs. The Expert and lower cost Waterman nibs are more flexible like Sonnet. These "nails" are just less rigid, and they can be flexed a tiny bit only to make the pen restart after drying out uncapped. The tines have a bit more monkey motion on them.