Shading Purples And/or Greens

Aurko

I've recently been looking for some nice shading purples and green inks. I would like them to shade in a fine nib, but if the colour is gorgeous enough, I would definitely consider getting an ink that would shade in say a medium or broad nib or a flex pen. I think that this would be the best place to go for some recommendations. Some requirements:

1. It must be well behaved. Excessive feathering is a no.

2. It must not stain white pens and should be easy to clean out.

3. If purple, I'm looking for something around the range of Waterman Purple or Scabiosa, nothing too blue.

4. If green, I'm not very picky but I would rather not go for R&K Alt Goldgrun. That colour doesn't appeal to me.

5. I may change my mind on the above if I can get some colour accurate pictures (not scans). I've only seen scans and ink swabs of the aforementioned inks.

If I think of anything else, I'll edit it onto the original post and put it as a comment. When edited on to the original post, it will be marked with an asterisk.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aurko

• KBeezie

• carlos.q

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

For a very nice and well behaved shading green you should try Montblanc Irish Green.

How dark is Montblanc shading green? Is it a light-ish ink? And would I be able to stand looking at a full page of it?

How dark is Montblanc shading green? Is it a light-ish ink? And would I be able to stand looking at a full page of it?

Depends on the pen, of course, but it's pretty dark. Another option is Graf von Faber Castell Moss Green which is almost the same shade but a little more saturated. I have both, and give the nod to MB for price and GvFC for color.

In green-green shading inks, R&K Verdura beats MB Irish green by a nose, Pelikan 4001 green by a neck.

I got a bottle of Pelikan 4001 on sale....didn't really see any reason to buy a green ink. With in the year I bought 11 green inks from bright to dark, light to murky.

Pelikan 4001 is an under rated ink.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I think that I'll try to buy samples of whatever inks have been recommended to me before committing!

The Akkerman looks gorgeous, and might I add that I like your handwriting!

Other than the edelstein series, I haven't heard much about Pelikan inks. It looks wonderful though, and honestly one of the ones that I'll be looking forward to getting. If it behaves well, I might have a winner.

Some other greens that I would like to hear about/see colour accurate samples of would be Diamine Meadow Green and/or Diamine Spearmint. I'm really going for a green splurge here, for spring and summer.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I think that I'll try to buy samples of whatever inks have been recommended to me before committing!

The Akkerman looks gorgeous, and might I add that I like your handwriting!

Other than the edelstein series, I haven't heard much about Pelikan inks. It looks wonderful though, and honestly one of the ones that I'll be looking forward to getting. If it behaves well, I might have a winner.

Some other greens that I would like to hear about/see colour accurate samples of would be Diamine Meadow Green and/or Diamine Spearmint. I'm really going for a green splurge here, for spring and summer.

Oh I'm not even anywhere near that good, those are embeded from the other threads I found. I haven't been able to get ahold of Akkerman without paying insane shipping charges. I got some samples from another FPN member but just not the green.