Flea Markets In Paris

oregano

I'll be visiting Paris in a couple weeks and thought I'd take the opportunity to scope out some flea markets for pens. I've read with envy about people in Germany and Portugal coming up with great finds, but how are the Paris markets for pens? Which ones should I go to? Are there any particular times of the day that are good? I'm not going in with wild expectations but am curious to see what's there...

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oregano

• Bo Bo Olson

• risingsun

• flyingfox

Top Posters In This Topic

The main permanent flea market may be the world's largest...

Schedule a full day, ...Is bigger than Portobello.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

We went to the flea market at Porte de Clignancourt to the north of Paris and also to Porte de Vanves in the south-southwest area of Paris back in 2006, but that was before my interest on fountain pens. Brought home a ton of cool stuff, though. Spent an entire day shopping.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Thanks Bo Bo and rising sun, I am writing this down! Any other suggestions? -I would ask people I know in paris but they are not into pens!

+1 for Porte de Clignancourt/ St. Ouen, but not too many pens... When I was in Paris last fall, I spent a whole afternoon and checked out as many places as possible, and only found a Waterman. Then again, I went on Monday afternoon, when it was not all that crowded and many stalls were closed, and the ones that are open were mostly selling old clothes and cheap jewelries. Saturdays and Sundays seem to be the busiest days.

Incidentally, there are so many great places in Paris for new pens, especially student pens, if you are interested. Aside from the usual suspects in other threads/ sites that are mainly for expensive ones, check the random stationery stores in 5e arrondissement (near Sorbonne Univ.,) and at BHV (Bazar de L'Hotel de Ville, a department store near the City Hall) for interesting finds. I found cool/ cute/ fun ones in blister packs at Monoprix (kind of like a Walmart or Target, located all over Paris) as well.

Have fun!!!

Noted, thanks flyingfox! Thanks for reminding me of the stores too. I'm familiar w/ the pen stores in the Sorbonne area, used to be my haunting grounds, less so w/ the antique shops and flea markets which I must have passed by...Now I have a reason to stop there :) I love stationery stores so I will be revisiting all of them and the BHV, which I've only been to once!!

• 1 month later...

I'll be visiting Paris in a couple weeks and thought I'd take the opportunity to scope out some flea markets for pens. I've read with envy about people in Germany and Portugal coming up with great finds, but how are the Paris markets for pens? Which ones should I go to? Are there any particular times of the day that are good? I'm not going in with wild expectations but am curious to see what's there...

Thanks!

You won't find nothing anymore on flea markets only bad condition pens , go to the mora penshop located at rue de tournon which is the oldest and best penshop of France selling vintage and second hand pens http://www.morastylos.com

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I wish I was still there so I could go. Noted for next time. So I did make it to the flea market and as you say, found little in the way of pens. Only one stall specialized in vintage pens (mostly French) and the handful of Bayards and Watermans she was selling in working condition were incredibly overpriced and nothing special. I was hoping to find some German pens, guess I'll have to go to Germany for that!