Which Is Your Best Nib? The Nib With Which All Others Are Judged? One Nib To Rule Them All?

Sach

Pelikan fine on an M1005 demonstrator. Smooth as silk, line variation, just the right amount of wet ink.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• lzykramer

• acolythe

• sotto2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montblanc 146 M nib. Smooth with right balance of feedback, wet and responsive. It's wet juicy ink flow enhances shading, and softness of the nib responds well to slight pressure variances to yield ink flow and line width variation. I even like the sound it makes on paper as I write and the generous flow always ensure a wet ink tail that you can see dry. I don't know, I even like to watch ink dry. In short, a nib with a lot of character and depth that I never tire of.

Edited by max dog

Mottishaw tuned stub on a Parker Doufold "Lucky Curve" Mandarin. "Out of the box" is a Montblanc medium-oblique (done in Hamberg at the factory) on a Hemingway.

I don't have that huge a range of nibs that I've tried (most are inexpensive compared to what some of you guys may have tried). My "best" nib has been the Fine on the Faber-Castell BASIC, smoothest I have with a tiny bit of feedback, but just wish the line width was closer to an EF. Second best being the 'fine' on my Montblanc 225 that writes like a Japanese Fine or EF (somewhere in between there).

In another thread based on how I described my personal preference there was someone saying I should look into an Aurora Optima or Modern 88 (both of which probably cost more than every pen I currently own).

The question of "best " nibs is very difficult to answer !It all depends upon my mood and usually I use fine and medium nibs unmodified . I like nibs coming out of box which perform smooth and give consistent writing satisfaction ,and the "amazing " nib which put me into extra-delight has been a Parker 75 14 k medium french nib which suits my writing style and feels somewhat cursive italic , though not made like this .

A lowly Lamy OB on a white Safari that is heaven to write with. After that my English 51 with a sweet B nib, that made me stop hating 51's.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

It has to be the Swan #2. Smooth, fine-ish when using no pressure, expressive flex on demand (no noodle, but only slight pressure required), easy to control; pure pleasure!

I have no way of narrowing it down to one. Have not owned a "tuned" or specialized nib. Ahh another item to add to my list.

Danitrio flexy EEF.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I too, would say, depends on the day, paper, ink etc. I really love my Pilot Custom 74 soft-fine or Custom 823 medium. They write beautifully. Beyond that any Platinum 3776 century, which have lovely nibs

I guess that I'm the odd duck here. I have a Platinum Preppy with great flow and good alignment. If a pen DOESN'T outperform that simple nib, on that cheap pen, it needs tuning or the pen will be sold off. That is pretty much my means for judging every acquisition.

It is very difficult to say definitely which pen model's nib is the best. The nibs on my 6 Montblanc 145s are all different from each other in terms of smoothness and flex. All are M nibs, 5 of them 14K and one 18K. So one is best and one is worst among them.

The M nib on my Montblanc 149 gives a hard feel and I wonder why it is 18K gold- could as well be made of steel. But my Pilot 845's equally large nib gives a soft feel and glides smoothly over paper. But your 845 may not perhaps give same feel.

So which nib is best cannot pinpoint a particular pen model (with its standard fitted nib). It is matter of chance your particular piece had a good nib.

A great nib is a prerequisite to keeping a pen in my collection.

My Esterbrook "J" with a 9128 nib. Oh so smooth and just the right wetness for some copperplate-ish style!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

For vintage pens, a Sheaffer Balance fine nib(feather touch no.5). For modern classics, a Sheaffer Imperial fine and a Targa medium(gold nibs on both). For modern pens, a Waterman Carene fine nib.

And just as a side note, the best broad nib that i have ever tried was a Platinum coarse nib from a 1970s pen.

They don`t get any better than this(although the nib itself is just one part of the pen). Also, unfortunately, there is no such thing as "the best" nib. I don`t even have a favorite nib. Ah, i wish i was less picky.....

Edited by rochester21

For vintage pens, a Sheaffer Balance fine nib. For modern classics, a Sheaffer Imperial fine and a Targa medium. For modern pens, a Waterman Carene fine nib.

They don`t get any better than this(although the nib itself is just one part of the pen).

What nib is normally on the Balance? I have a #33 with my craftsman that's seems somewhat Jpn Extra Fine, and is probably one of the scratchiest-yet-usable nib I have. (I ask because I'm interested in a Balance, but would be nice to know which nib to look out for on them).

Edited by KBeezie