Sharing some pictures of the new Gama Ergo.

It is an attempt to achieve a pen the same size as the Raja, but with a long tapering ergonomic section (The name Ergo comes from here) and a matching smaller sized nib so as to keep the barrel threads to paper distance the same for writing comfort.

The longer section with just a 1mm taper allows the writer to find their preferred gripping position more easily. The use of the German Schmidt nib unit allows C/C capability, the pen of course, is fundamentally designed with ED use in mind and the modern Schmidt feeder allows reliable and controlled flow performance even in ED mode.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9951.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9952.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9953.jpg

Along with the Raja/Padpad:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9954.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9955.jpg

The long tapering section and the matching nib, the threads to nib tip distance remains the same.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9956.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9957.jpg

Heavily finned modern feeder:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Gama%20Ergo/IMG_9958.jpg

Cheers!

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• pelman

• notimetoulouse

• Sridhar

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Hari, as usual. Would that be a No.5 nib unit on the ergo?

thanks Sridhar, you are very kind.

Yes, roughly no 5 size nib. this pen is also good for those who like to grip their pen lower, closer to the paper.

HTH

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks Jayant. I am happy to see the positive response to the small nib design in today's general trend of using bigger nibs. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for another great review Hariji (I've only just found it) - does the Schmidt / Jowo nib make a real difference to the writing experience over the standard Gama nib from AsaPens?

My handwriting only lends itself to EF and F nibs and whereas my Gama Hawk came with a quite acceptable F nib, the Raja's nib (although nice enough) tends to be a 'Fat F/Thin M', putting out more ink than I normally like on the page.

Are they worth the extra?

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

Very nice photos and review. I think distance to paper is under rated or overlooked today as makers continue to put larger and larger nibs in pens. To my, modern, eye this nib looks too small. But the writing appearance is what really matters. I was writing with a Pilot Justus and greatly enjoying it. When my Pilot 823 arrived with a larger nib, I found that it seemed like I was a long way from the paper. When the Ergo becomes available again I will have to pick one up and give it a try. Thank you.

Thanks for another great review Hariji (I've only just found it) - does the Schmidt / Jowo nib make a real difference to the writing experience over the standard Gama nib from AsaPens?

My handwriting only lends itself to EF and F nibs and whereas my Gama Hawk came with a quite acceptable F nib, the Raja's nib (although nice enough) tends to be a 'Fat F/Thin M', putting out more ink than I normally like on the page.

Are they worth the extra?

Thank you.

If you like EF/F nibs then the stock nib is the way to go, you also save money. If you like a drier flow, in general, going for the German nib units would not be that useful since they run on the wetter side only. If the pen is putting out more ink even with the EF/F nib, check that ink levels are good, if that is not the cause then check for proper tight fitment of nib and feed in section, the smoothness of section bore (finish) etc.

HTH.

Very nice photos and review. I think distance to paper is under rated or overlooked today as makers continue to put larger and larger nibs in pens. To my, modern, eye this nib looks too small. But the writing appearance is what really matters. I was writing with a Pilot Justus and greatly enjoying it. When my Pilot 823 arrived with a larger nib, I found that it seemed like I was a long way from the paper. When the Ergo becomes available again I will have to pick one up and give it a try. Thank you.

Thank you. The Ergo has been in my rotation for the last one month nearly. The first week was in Converter mode and after that in ED mode. I am a "big nib" fan but I appreciate the comfort of the Ergo. It was satisfying to design this with the long section and to integrate the outrageously small nib unit into the pen. :) The story behind this is very interesting, but maybe some other day...

I think you will see this same unit feature in another pen some time soon.

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317

Always loved Hari's reviews. Compulsory viewing :thumbup:

Pavoni

You are being too kind, Pavoni. :) Thanks!