Why I Am Here, Or Just Another Tragic Story...

Quintane

Hello and welcome to the forums, Quintane! :W2FPN: Your story and your pictures are tragic indeed. :crybaby: I hope you are able to find someone to fix your nib. In the meantime, do feel free to live vicariously through the other members of this forum with their posts and their working nibs. Wishing you lots of luck! :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quintane

• JeanManuel

• LuckyKate

• Algester

Welcome to FPN! :W2FPN:

It's a sad story to hear. :crybaby: You can post WTB on Classifieds sections like some mentioned.

Enjoy anyway!

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Hello and welcome to the forums, Quintane! :W2FPN: Your story and your pictures are tragic indeed. :crybaby: I hope you are able to find someone to fix your nib. In the meantime, do feel free to live vicariously through the other members of this forum with their posts and their working nibs. Wishing you lots of luck! :)

Welcome to FPN! :W2FPN:

It's a sad story to hear. :crybaby: You can post WTB on Classifieds sections like some mentioned.

Enjoy anyway!

-William S. Park

Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is happy to help.

:W2FPN:

Thanks for all the replies. Sometimes I don't have time to answer, but I surely am aware.

Welcome to the Forum. You've already been given lots of useful info from members who are truly experts! I trust you will enjoy your time here and that you'll be able to get the nib fixed. Of course, you need more than one pen: a kinda insurance against accident as well as an excuse to collect!

Welcome to the Forum. You've already been given lots of useful info from members who are truly experts! I trust you will enjoy your time here and that you'll be able to get the nib fixed. Of course, you need more than one pen: a kinda insurance against accident as well as an excuse to collect!

Yes indeed! That's the gist of my initial post: how the loss of a pen could initiate a sort of obsession. Before the accident I was a fountain pen lover who had gathered about 18 pens (most simple and everyday pens, with some exceptions) in about 40 years. Now I am in the brink to become a collector: in just a couple of months I already purchased (I mentioned this already) a #3776 Platinum with Ultra Extra Fine nib, and a 4XF Pelikan nib by Richard Binder, and as Nemosine Singularity EF just because it is so cheap, and I am thinking and thinking about the suggestions made here (some MontBlanc, some Platinum PTL500…, some Sheaffer in Peyton Street)… Man, this is really vertiginous! I want fountain pens for writing, and use them for writing, and I am starting to feel like I am in a harem without time to bring to each of my ladies… (I guess I am not the first to make this analogy. Sorry if I offend susceptibilities…) I cannot be writing full time, even though I dream about that! As I am a philosopher by profession, perhaps I should start another post with psychological-philosophical reflections about the curious mania of collecting pens, and questions like "What a pen collector writes about?". I have no idea. I mean with his pens, not in internet blogs and forums. There he writes of course about pens, and regrettably not with a pen! Thanks for encouraging me!

:W2FPN:

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Quintane,

Your faithful love for your Shaeffer, in spite of your attempts to find a new love, is a lesson in fidelity! I hope your pen comes back to you safe and sound.

In the meantime I think there is really some sort of philosophical material here!

Katherine

Thanks, Katherine. Perhaps I will start those reflections... I am not sure if everybody will like them. The first is this one (just developing what I said above):

Supposing you collect pens for writing, and that you really like to write with each of your pens (more or less). Then, each new pen means you have proportionally less time to write with each one of your pens, since you must divide the total writing time you have by the number of pens you have. The more pens you have, the less time you have to write with each pen. Does this sound like an ideal for a pen lover? I will indeed post this as a new post... I am really interested in the possible answers...

Thanks, Katherine. Perhaps I will start those reflections... I am not sure if everybody will like them. The first is this one (just developing what I said above):

Supposing you collect pens for writing, and that you really like to write with each of your pens (more or less). Then, each new pen means you have proportionally less time to write with each one of your pens, since you must divide the total writing time you have by the number of pens you have. The more pens you have, the less time you have to write with each pen. Does this sound like an ideal for a pen lover? I will indeed post this as a new post... I am really interested in the possible answers...

That would be assuming that every new pen experience will be as lovely as the one you had with your sheaffer. :)

In practice, such perfect pen-user harmony (or match) is rare. Users sell, exchange, give away, destroy or trash pens which do not suit these users. Sometimes nostalgia of lost harmony, maybe idealized, drives the next purchases.

The base idea of what you said is correct in my opinion. But furthermore, if you have the perfect pen, which gives you the highest happiness, you should not try to waste time with other pens which give you less happiness. That way you get the largest amount of happiness :D

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

That would be assuming that every new pen experience will be as lovely as the one you had with your sheaffer. :)

In practice, such perfect pen-user harmony (or match) is rare. Users sell, exchange, give away, destroy or trash pens which do not suit these users. Sometimes nostalgia of lost harmony, maybe idealized, drives the next purchases.

The base idea of what you said is correct in my opinion. But furthermore, if you have the perfect pen, which gives you the highest happiness, you should not try to waste time with other pens which give you less happiness. That way you get the largest amount of happiness :D

I entirely agree. The situation I describe is of course an extreme abstraction, but it is useful as a thought-provoking frame. Your response is already very illuminating.

• 1 month later...

THIS IS THE OUTCOME OF THE STORY: The pen came back from Madrid in the hands of my friend. Julia Gusano changed the whole section, so the new nib is another nib. Sorry to say the new nib is not like the old one. I cannot say it is a bad nib, it is just not as fine as the other, and not as smooth as the other. It also skips a little, just a little. So, to write with it is not the same great experience that was to write with the other. Most likely, Mrs. Gusano could not find in her stock a nib exactly like the old one. I dont know. Or perhaps another nib like the old one just does not exist. The result is sad. But this is only the end of this story, because I still have the sting stuck. Thanks to all the encouragements.

Quintane, I cant see the problem, you have your pen with a new nib that doesn't fit your taste. You don't need to fly to Madrid.

Just send it to a nibmeister in USA, if you want an xf I would suggest Mr Pendleton Brown, in less than a week you will have

the pen in your hands from Georgia, Iv done it already, is easy. Trust me.

Edited by penrivers

Yes, of course. Most likely I will do that. Thanks for the name! It is more or less a sentimental issue: I phantasized a lot with this chance to "recover" the old nib from the very hands I got it in the first place, in the form of a new nib just exactly like the old one, its twin nib... This is the story I am closing. The new nib is another nib, what happens with it will be another story..., which of course I will share here.

Qunitane,

No two nibs are ever alike. That's one of the things I love about fountain pens--they're almost human that way! So rejoice in the rebirth of your old pen in a slightly different form. One day you will love it too, albeit a different love.

Katherine

Yes, Katherine. I see things about pens in this way also. I felt the loss of the nib in this Sheaffer as the loss of the favorite in my harem. But this was the first time I had this feeling! Pens were tools very appreciated, but still tools. Now they are something different. I know this new nib needs some courtship, some give and take, some mutual moulding… I only will send it to a nibmeister if the relationship don't prosper. (Am I correct in looking a Pelikan in your profile's photo?)

Yes, Katherine. I see things about pens in this way also. I felt the loss of the nib in this Sheaffer as the loss of the favorite in my harem. But this was the first time I had this feeling! Pens were tools very appreciated, but still tools. Now they are something different. I know this new nib needs some courtship, some give and take, some mutual moulding… I only will send it to a nibmeister if the relationship don't prosper. (Am I correct in looking a Pelikan in your profile's photo?)

Quintane,

People will go to lengths to recapture the feeling you are talking about.

And yes you are correct. The Pelikan in the photo is my first true pen love (after a lot of trial and error), an amber demonstrator with a 14kt nib now stubbed. It writes like a dream and has seen a lot of hard use. It's resting now, as I have two new Pelikans that I also adore, not to mention a Nakaya Naka-ai.

I hope you enjoy your new nib! Keep us posted!

Katherine