Why I Am Here, Or Just Another Tragic Story...

Quintane

I hope you can get your nib fixed or replaced. I'm sure someone here will have the expertise to guide you in the right direction.

Welcome! :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quintane

• JeanManuel

• LuckyKate

• RMN

Let us know how well Julia Gusano fixes your nib. :)

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

Yes, I think I definitively will send the pen to Julia Gusano. My friend is going to Madrid in June and will be there a whole month. He can ask Julia for her opinion, and even if her solution is to replace the section altogether, I like the idea to make of this an italic nib. Of course I'll let you everyone here know the end of the story. Thanks to all. Great to be here.

Welcome !

That is tragedy. However, it is NOT disaster. I don't know much about repair. Replacement may be necessary.

Still, it is possible to do. The world does not end. Keep a joyful heart.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Mexico huh sounds harsh... if w think of the possibility of a retipping option also you could check out your local Sheaffer distributor if you still happen to find one but if you want a finer tip pen Platinum PTL-5000 (its not available outside Japan) will be your go to pen most likely as it also has the Ultra fine option with a gold nib with a price range as much as it's model number to date that's probably the cheapest gold nib pen that I can give you yes its 14K gold... thats worth 5000 yen shipping price excluded

Welcome !

That is tragedy. However, it is NOT disaster. I don't know much about repair. Replacement may be necessary.

Still, it is possible to do. The world does not end. Keep a joyful heart.

Thanks. And yes, of course the world does not end. Pens are just pens after all! But it is amazing how such an accident could change my long lasting easy and calm love for fountain pens in a sort of frenetic obsession. This is the issue: why am I here!

Mexico huh sounds harsh... if w think of the possibility of a retipping option also you could check out your local Sheaffer distributor if you still happen to find one but if you want a finer tip pen Platinum PTL-5000 (its not available outside Japan) will be your go to pen most likely as it also has the Ultra fine option with a gold nib with a price range as much as it's model number to date that's probably the cheapest gold nib pen that I can give you yes its 14K gold... thats worth 5000 yen shipping price excluded

Thanks a lot! All this information is useful. Now, I should say I already owned, before the accident with the Sheaffer, two Nakaya pens, one with Extra Fine nib, one with Super Extra Fine nib. They are the jewels in my "collection" (which I had never dare to call it a collection before the accident), but they are not pens to be carried here and there. I also had, before the accident, a Pilot Metal Falcon with a Soft Extra Fine nib, which is a great pen, but has a very different feeling than the Sheaffer. Now, after the accident, I managed to get a 4XF nib by Richard Binder for a M200 Pelikan demonstrator that I had, and I must say the result in the written words and lines is awsome, but it is not quite easy to get used to write with such a fine nib. Lately, I got a Platinum Century #3776 with an Ultra Extra Fine nib, and this is perhaps the best candidate to replace the Sheaffer in practical and daily life usability, so to say; but I am not sure, it is a bit dry and it is a very serious pen... So, you see, I am really in the search for that quite difficult to get accordance between thinnes and softness and manoeuvrability... and I am of course not the first one at that! Thanks again to everyone!

Actually, Greg Minuskin in California is the guy who could fix your nib. Send him an email with the pictures you posted here, and he will email you back with info about whether it can be repaired, cost, turn-around time, etc. Just Google his name and his website will come up.

Thanks a lot! All this information is useful. Now, I should say I already owned, before the accident with the Sheaffer, two Nakaya pens, one with Extra Fine nib, one with Super Extra Fine nib. They are the jewels in my "collection" (which I had never dare to call it a collection before the accident), but they are not pens to be carried here and there. I also had, before the accident, a Pilot Metal Falcon with a Soft Extra Fine nib, which is a great pen, but has a very different feeling than the Sheaffer. Now, after the accident, I managed to get a 4XF nib by Richard Binder for a M200 Pelikan demonstrator that I had, and I must say the result in the written words and lines is awsome, but it is not quite easy to get used to write with such a fine nib. Lately, I got a Platinum Century #3776 with an Ultra Extra Fine nib, and this is perhaps the best candidate to replace the Sheaffer in practical and daily life usability, so to say; but I am not sure, it is a bit dry and it is a very serious pen... So, you see, I am really in the search for that quite difficult to get accordance between thinnes and softness and manoeuvrability... and I am of course not the first one at that! Thanks again to everyone!

I would still suggest you look at the PTL-500 if you think 3776 will not fit with you however getting that pen hmm Cultpens seems to sell them if your willing Engaika as well it seems to be the pen that can meet some abuse yet still work if you know Platinum balance thats how the nib looks like

Actually, Greg Minuskin in California is the guy who could fix your nib. Send him an email with the pictures you posted here, and he will email you back with info about whether it can be repaired, cost, turn-around time, etc. Just Google his name and his website will come up.

I just wrote to him attaching the photos. Let's see what he says. Thanks a lot!

I would still suggest you look at the PTL-500 if you think 3776 will not fit with you however getting that pen hmm Cultpens seems to sell them if your willing Engaika as well it seems to be the pen that can meet some abuse yet still work if you know Platinum balance thats how the nib looks like

It really looks like it might be a good solution. I will give it serious consideration. Thank you again!

I have it with me but I assume it is lost since one of the iridiums broke. (Don't know if "iridium" is the correct name for the each of the two halves of the nib.) I will try to do a photo to show it, to see how you and everyone sees it, or just for fun... Thanks for replying!

I had a nib that was bent into a 90 degree angle. I had it repaired for $10 at a local shop and now it writes perfectly fine. Since you still have the nib, either find a local shop or mail it into one of the nib masters you can connect with here on the network. I think it will restore your favorite pen to you. Good luck.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

Hello and Welcome to FPN. Your nib is not beyond repair. Greg Minuskin, or John Mottishaw (nibs.com , under whom Greg apprenticed for learning nib work)can both do the work, as others might be able to as well. Here is a link to Jim Mamoulides' great site Pen Hero. This is for the Bookmarks page that lists many pen folks, including repairs and sales-http://penhero.com/PenBookmarks.htm

Another option, and one that is probably going to be a lot less expensive, is to look for a nib unit or pen. Terry at Peyton Street Pens is reputable and has a few things that might suit at prices low enough you could get a couple nib/pens and get one customized to be xxf fine probably for under $100 (which a re-tip could surpass)-http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer.html

Check Main Street Pens as Ron Zorn is person who often gets Sheaffer parts and is a Sheaffer certified repairman for their pens.

BTW, Dutchpen here on FPN has lots of parts and nibs for sale-https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/27333-pen-nibs-and-other-parts/

one of many ads, and I think I saw he had several nib units of the type you might need. Give him a PM and see if he can help you out.

There are other pen forums you can post a WTB on right now should you wish-Pentrace, FP Classifieds, FP Geeks, Fountain Pen Board. I have a couple Imperial nibs made of steel and they write amazingly well. I not could tell them from gold nibs were using them blindfolded, so do not shun steel nibs thinking gold are categorically better.

HTH. Good luck.

Edited by AndrewC

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Well, Greg Minuskin answered as follows:

"Unfortunately I cannot assist you, for I cannot retip in-laid nibs. Best to send the pen to Madrid to see if Julia has another complete section for you which is also more cost effective."

I assume then that it will be the same with Mottishaw or others… So I will send the pen to Julia since a friend of mine will be in Madrid this month. If Julia has not another section-nib like the damaged one, then I will look for the other options suggested here by AndrewC (thanks!): I already saw some interesting Sheaffer's at Peyton Street which look quite similar. Or also will take a look to the Platinum PTL-5000 or one of the other pens suggested here.

So, one pen is lost, but the world of pens has really opened for me! Thanks to everyone again. I am really glad I entered FPN.

Interesting. So inlaid nibs are difficult to repair. Good to know.

Everything is impermanent.

It doesn't surprise me that they can't be re-tipped, cuz basically the gold part can't be removed from the plastic.

I can't tell what model you have, but we might have a replacement if it is an Imperial model. We have some 14k nibs and also some steel nibs.

Teri

It doesn't surprise me that they can't be re-tipped, cuz basically the gold part can't be removed from the plastic.

I can't tell what model you have, but we might have a replacement if it is an Imperial model. We have some 14k nibs and also some steel nibs.

Teri

Yes, I have seen several very similar pens in your site. For instance, these two are quite interesting:

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-lifetime-cartridge-pen-burgundy-extra-fine-14k-inlaid-nib-very-nice.html

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-1960s-compact-ii-cartridge-pen-blue-14k-extra-fine-superior.html

Let's see. My pen is now in its way to Madrid, and it all depends for me on what Julia Gusano has to say.

Many thanks!

Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is happy to help.

:W2FPN: