Why I Am Here, Or Just Another Tragic Story...

Quintane

Last January the Sheaffer Imperial with which I am writing in the profile photo felt from my hand to the street and the nib was awfully damaged. I had always loved fountain pens, but could not consider myself a collector: I had just been looking for years for some good extra fine nib to fit my small handwriting. Really extra fine nibs (I mean, not Lamy's or Pelikan's) have always been very scarce or even non-existant in Mexico. I got this sort of vintage Sheaffer last year in the repair shop of Julia Gusano, in Madrid, and it wrote really fine (something in between a Nakaya Extra Fine and a Nakaya Super Extra Fine), and as smooth as you could posible desire, so I was more than happy with this pen. But, alas, now it is lost! And since then I am in the obsessive search for a nib to replace the lost one, and as far as I can see, perhaps I will need to go again to Madrid (I live in Mexico) to see if Mrs. Gusano can find another inlaid nib like that marvel among her many many drawers and bags of pens and nibs. Meanwhile, this tragedy has really injected or infused myself with something like the spirit or the madness of a collector... And that's the reason why I am here among you friends.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quintane

• JeanManuel

• LuckyKate

• Algester

That is a sad story indeed. Nevertheless: welcome here! And succes with your search.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Welcome. Is your nib figuratively lost or you really don't have it anymore? You can have it repaired from incredibly bad condition. A nib is easy to ship and it will cost you less than a new pen.

Everything is impermanent.

Welcome aboard! I'm sorry to hear your story, but I'm sure you'll find what you are looking in a few weeks time. A few weeks ago I found an MB220 with a good EF nib (I think), you could try something like that. Goodluck in your search!

Greetings and welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

When you have Gold membership, you'll be able to post a Want to Buy in the Classifieds if you haven't found one by then. :W2FPN:

Welcome. Is your nib figuratively lost or you really don't have it anymore? You can have it repaired from incredibly bad condition. A nib is easy to ship and it will cost you less than a new pen.

I have it with me but I assume it is lost since one of the iridiums broke. (Don't know if "iridium" is the correct name for the each of the two halves of the nib.) I will try to do a photo to show it, to see how you and everyone sees it, or just for fun... Thanks for replying!

Welcome aboard! I'm sorry to hear your story, but I'm sure you'll find what you are looking in a few weeks time. A few weeks ago I found an MB220 with a good EF nib (I think), you could try something like that. Goodluck in your search!

Thanks! Perhaps that's a good advice. Let's see.

When you have Gold membership, you'll be able to post a Want to Buy in the Classifieds if you haven't found one by then. :W2FPN:

Ok, thanks! Now I know. Perhaps another good idea!

Thanks to all replies. That's a warm welcome indeed. As I said, I'll post a photo of the nib, to see what happens, or even only just to illustrate the tragedy.

I have it with me but I assume it is lost since one of the iridiums broke. (Don't know if "iridium" is the correct name for the each of the two halves of the nib.) I will try to do a photo to show it, to see how you and everyone sees it, or just for fun... Thanks for replying!

No it is not lost. Roughly: The craftsmen can remove the remaining iridium, then weld a new ball of iridium (or whichever wear-resistant metal is actually in use these days...). Then they shape the iridium tip to the size you need and split it with a very thin saw, and polish.

I made the mistake of trashing expensive nibs. I wish I had known better.

Watch this video, it will give you an idea of what is possible (your situation at 4:20):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDeSK208sM

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi and welcome to FPN

You have learned Murphy's first law of fountainpens: The chances of a pen dropping straight on it's nib are directly proportional to it's value....

But luckily, we can help you find a worthy replacement.

Enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

No it is not lost. Roughly: The craftsmen can remove the remaining iridium, then weld a new ball of iridium (or whichever wear-resistant metal is actually in use these days...). Then they shape the iridium tip to the size you need and split it with a very thin saw, and polish.

I made the mistake of trashing expensive nibs. I wish I had known better.

Watch this video, it will give you an idea of what is possible (your situation at 4:20):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDeSK208sM

I read your post and saw the video. I am overwhelmed. My Sheaffer's nib looks exactly like that on 4:20! Just tell me where I can find such a craftsman! Should I send my pen to Japan?

Hello and welcome. I am glad you have joined us. I am very sorry for the damage to your pen. I hope that you have it successfully repaired and are writing with it again very soon. Please don't be shy about asking questions or stating your opinions. I hope you enjoy the time you spend with us.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

A few illustrations as promised, even if they are anything new.

Hello and welcome. I am glad you have joined us. I am very sorry for the damage to your pen. I hope that you have it successfully repaired and are writing with it again very soon. Please don't be shy about asking questions or stating your opinions. I hope you enjoy the time you spend with us.

-David.

Thanks, David. The response of the forum has been wonderful. Much more than expected!

Hello and :W2FPN:, enjoy the forum.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I must say the photos were taken after an attempt to straighten the nib. In fact the lacking iridium broke during this process.

http://www.infinitumpage.mx/a3237689/Sheaffer_Madrid_2.jpg

A second one...

http://www.infinitumpage.mx/a3237689/Sheaffer_Madrid_1.jpg

And the third...

http://www.infinitumpage.mx/a3237689/Sheaffer_Madrid_3.jpg

I really appreciate the responses. The suggestion of JeanManuel seems great, even if it is equivalent to making a new nib. Anyone has an idea of who can make this kind of work? Otherwise, I would send the pen to Julia Gusano in Madrid (a friend is going there soon) to see if she has another nib like this. Thanks to all!

Ow, that hurts to look at.

I'm not sure if retipping is an option. Got to repair or Sheaffer subforum for that.

In a worst case you could have it ground to an untipped italic nib.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~