Nib Tweaking; How Far Is Too Far? How Far Is Not Enough?

casualmerlinconstant

Hello!

I've had some nib alignment issues with a couple of pens I've bought lately and I've read lots of threads about aligning the tines. Most say to just bend it with your fingernails until everything is fine. However, when I do this, the tine just springs right back to where it was before (one tine is below the other). I've bent the tine progressively more and more far back (more than the thickness of the other tine) but it just keeps going back to where it was. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice about how far I can push the tine? Do I push it up even more? Or is that going to spring the nib? If that will spring the nib, what else should I do to get the tines in alignment?

The nib is a 14k Pelikan nib if that helps.

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• casualmerlinconstant

• TimGirdler

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

if nails cant do it its time to use the next option lay the nib on paper then slowly press down slowly (this action should let you see springing the nib open) do this for about 5 seconds then check rinse and repeat however this is gold so also take some precaution you can do it for 3 seconds then check

if nails cant do it its time to use the next option lay the nib on paper then slowly press down slowly (this action should let you see springing the nib open) do this for about 5 seconds then check rinse and repeat however this is gold so also take some precaution you can do it for 3 seconds then check

There are worse things one can do to try to align a nib....... but not many. The approach suggested above is a very bad idea--and it won't work to align the nib. It will, however, work to damage the nib.

Hello!

I've had some nib alignment issues with a couple of pens I've bought lately and I've read lots of threads about aligning the tines. Most say to just bend it with your fingernails until everything is fine. However, when I do this, the tine just springs right back to where it was before (one tine is below the other). I've bent the tine progressively more and more far back (more than the thickness of the other tine) but it just keeps going back to where it was. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice about how far I can push the tine? Do I push it up even more? Or is that going to spring the nib? If that will spring the nib, what else should I do to get the tines in alignment?

The nib is a 14k Pelikan nib if that helps.

Thanks for any help!

The fingernail approach is the best. You might be surprised to see how forceful tines have to be bent at times. Make sure to brace the nib against the top or the bottom of the feed opposite of whichever way you're bending.

Also, make sure that the nib isn't damaged. A very misaligned tine might be just that--very misaligned. It may also be the result of damage that has bent a tine up or down, causing the misalignment. Look at the nib from both sides. If you can see the opposing slit wall from one of the sides, there's a good chance a tine is bent.

Also, make sure the nib is properly seated on the feed. There are times when, no matter what you seem to do, a nib won't align--until you check how it's sitting on the feed. If the nib is seated properly on the feed, it's likely to be easier to align. If it's off the feed, it'll be next to impossible. Also, when you seat it properly, you may find that it seems to miraculously align itself.

Good luck!

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

There are worse things one can do to try to align a nib....... but not many. The approach suggested above is a very bad idea--and it won't work to align the nib. It will, however, work to damage the nib.

The fingernail approach is the best. You might be surprised to see how forceful tines have to be bent at times. Make sure to brace the nib against the top or the bottom of the feed opposite of whichever way you're bending.

Also, make sure that the nib isn't damaged. A very misaligned tine might be just that--very misaligned. It may also be the result of damage that has bent a tine up or down, causing the misalignment. Look at the nib from both sides. If you can see the opposing slit wall from one of the sides, there's a good chance a tine is bent.

Also, make sure the nib is properly seated on the feed. There are times when, no matter what you seem to do, a nib won't align--until you check how it's sitting on the feed. If the nib is seated properly on the feed, it's likely to be easier to align. If it's off the feed, it'll be next to impossible. Also, when you seat it properly, you may find that it seems to miraculously align itself.

Good luck!

Blessings,

Tim

Hi, so essentially just keep pushing it? Are there any indicators to look out for that tells me I'm close to springing the nib?

Hi, so essentially just keep pushing it? Are there any indicators to look out for that tells me I'm close to springing the nib?

If you're bracing the nib against the feed (at the tip of the feed) while you're pulling or pushing on the tine, you should be OK. You may want to consider raising the offending tine while lowering the other.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

If you're bracing the nib against the feed (at the tip of the feed) while you're pulling or pushing on the tine, you should be OK. You may want to consider raising the offending tine while lowering the other.

Blessings,

Tim

Thanks a lot for your help :).