Was The Midori Tn A Flash In The Pan?

Moshe ben David

The novelty has worn off, and it's now just a part of my day. Basically store and organize a large chunk of my life between that flap of expensive leather. I left it at my work desk overnight once and couldn't stop worrying about it, sitting there all alone in the dark with only a janitor for company. It's become a sentimental item, with sentimental wear and tear, holding sentimental things with a sentimental bead thing that my girlfriend made holding it all together. Yes, it wasn't cheap, but it's valuable. It's something that I plan to keep until I'm dead.

Plus after a couple of years the thing just looks all Indiana Jones.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Komitadjie

• Auspice

• Moshe ben David

• Ted A

During the workday do you use it in meetings? I have one that I just can't get comfortable with at work. I don't do personal journaling so it just gathers dust right now. I'd love any tips to incorporate in my office life.

I use it with http://www.resorshop.com/collections/midori/products/019-free-diary-weekly-memo-traveler-s-notebook calendar, which is a weekly calendar with a page for notes. I also use the light notebook, with 128 pages of great paper which does well with fountain pens. Very simple system and archivable. I like the idea that I can customize the notebook, add things, file papers until I get home. Just a nice notebook. I also find that when I am not seated at a desk the TN is a very nice notebook to use. I also used it to take notes at a class I am taking. Good stuff.

I use a small fauxdori that I made with 4.25x5.5 inserts of various papers. I purchased a piece of leather off ebay to make an A-5 sized one this weekend/next week. I much prefer the fauxdoris that I have found via FB and etsy. As for popularity, other than the FB groups I belong to, I'm not sure how popular they are.

I use one, Passport size, to carry my passport. I find it's a very handsome case and useful for making to-do lists and notes while out and about, but as a daily journal, it's too small. A friend made me one, too (also passport size), and it's holding four of the notebook inserts that I've already filled.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts. Several folk pointed out the time period I cited was around the time people think of new diaries, planners, etc for a coming year. Which is true and I had not given that consideration because of the range of potential for the Midori system.

Many also pointed out both the expense of the Midori system together with the initial excitement which surrounds a 'new' product/concept. I think both of these points make a lot of sense.

To all using the Midori, I hope it continues to be useful for you.

For myself, I do like the idea of several notebooks combined in one holder -- a sort of portfolio if you will. I now use several notebooks anyway, which works fine when my briefcase or knockaround bag is with me. Eventually I may bite for the Midori or similar.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

If I was looking AGAIN, I think I'd go with one of the very, very many less-expensive options for essentially the same thing. But the idea is superb, and has definitely worked well for me, anyway.

I echo "mongrelnomad' comments. I too used to use a Midori all the time. I bought 2014 diaries, set myself up, got it all going well. Then I added my 6th Design.Y book to my collection and I have not touched the Midori since. The EP record is nothing short of a masterpiece of a book for me. It cost me a fortune with UK tax and customs charges but I prefer that to the Midori. No contest for me at the moment. However I have no doubt in time that i will again change my mind! LOL

The EP record is nothing short of a masterpiece of a book for me.

Absolutely. I simply cannot use any other notebook. Cost be damned (~$200 is well worth it IMO).

Too many pens; too little writing.

The EP Record looks pretty, but that price? For a single-use journal? I can't do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I got one recently and I like it a lot. I like the long narrow format because it is conducive to writing lists, the paper quality is excellent, very FP friendly. It's extremely customizable both in terms of the wide variety of inserts available and the way in which they can be arranged. I particularly like the calendar insert that isn't preprinted with a specific month or year, which means you can use it for discontinuous blocks of time. Using three ring binders is a pain for a left handed writer like me, so that's another advantage of the MTN for me over a competing format. I see that some people have complained about the cost but that's not an issue for me. Based on using it for a few weeks now, I'd say it's great.

I like the different formats that are available. My big complaint is the perforated pages in the passport-sized refills. For some reason, that bothers me that the pages may come out accidentally.

Maybe they could have a few perfs in the back but not all. I use them anyway since Pelle went out of business and I can't find any refills.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

I like the different formats that are available. My big complaint is the perforated pages in the passport-sized refills. For some reason, that bothers me that the pages may come out accidentally.

Maybe they could have a few perfs in the back but not all. I use them anyway since Pelle went out of business and I can't find any refills.

Haha, see, I wish the regular size was perforated! :D Or half-and-half at least.

I've had my Midori TN large since 2012 and I use it every day. I have two notebooks inside; blank monthly diary refill that I customise myself and lightweight paper refill. I also have the kraft file and the plastic zip pockets. The leather has held up really well over the two years and has developed a lovely patina.

Initially I hated the size of it and found it too awkward. When I started transitioning to my new job 12 months ago I started using it daily instead of sporadically. Now, it's a huge part of my life. I still would prefer something in a bigger size and I am seriously considering a Fenner Crafts A4 cover. A colleague has a Hobonichi Techo and while I love the paper of the Techo the size really just is a deal breaker for me, even in the A5 Cousin. I haven't made any custom inserts. I've replaced the diary twice and the lightweight paper three times.

Definitely not a flash in the pan for me, have had mine for about 18 months and used on a daily basis. I have only bought one other notebook in that period and that's a Midori cotton NB A5 sized for when I need that bit more writing real estate!

I love the insert format, the leather quality, and that it slips in my jacket pocket when travelling which means tickets, boarding passes, customs clearance forms, and all the other documents needed when travelling, are all in one neat accessible place, I hope I never have to be without mine!

No, not a flash in the pen... I use my two every single day and even made my own. I still find the modular idea great and adapt it to my needs wherever possible- scheduling, planning, journaling, book research +writing book, finances, studies etc. And of course as an actual travel journal. Since I make my own inserts paper is never an issue, the system allows me to build whatever I need, I even incorporate other systems.

Best thing since fountain pens. Facebook is abuzz with different groups wheee thousands of people participate.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb282/Borderlineescape/JournalandPelikanforFountainPenNetworkSiggie-1-1.jpg

"I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith."

No, not a flash in the pen... I use my two every single day and even made my own. I still find the modular idea great and adapt it to my needs wherever possible- scheduling, planning, journaling, book research +writing book, finances, studies etc. And of course as an actual travel journal. Since I make my own inserts paper is never an issue, the system allows me to build whatever I need, I even incorporate other systems.

Best thing since fountain pens. Facebook is abuzz with different groups wheee thousands of people participate.

What paper do you use for your inserts? I've made a few inserts using just regular inkjet office paper - fine for scratch paper - but I want to print my own weekly insert, and I need it to be thin but still take ink well. What do you use?

Is the weird paper size part of the draw? I don't quite get the narrowness and am looking to make my own version in a more standard size. Maybe the narrower size is meant to be put in a jacket pocket or something? Thus, allowing you to "travel" with it and keep it with you at all times?

Is the weird paper size part of the draw? I don't quite get the narrowness and am looking to make my own version in a more standard size. Maybe the narrower size is meant to be put in a jacket pocket or something? Thus, allowing you to "travel" with it and keep it with you at all times?

The narrower size does make it easier to carry it with you. It fits into the back pocket of jeans. And just the size itself "feels" easier to carry around.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire