Hello From New Mexico, Usa

slipstream13

Hi,

I am new to the "official" world of pen collecting, but have had a fascination with the fountain pen, stationery, and ink since I was about 13. I was living in Japan at the time, and became enamored of the variety of writing paper and pens (particularly fountain pens) available. My best writing pen remains to this day, 30 years later, a pen that probably cost $.50 usd, and is cheap looking and feeling. However, put a cartridge in it, and it will flow every time.

I have since been acquiring inexpensive ($15.00 and less) pens that come from China. I have a Dark Green Bulow x450, an Ivory Jinhao x750, and the current prize of the collection, a TWSBI Vac 700 received as a gift from another collector who just didn't like it. I am currently waiting on two Baoer 388 pens, and one Jinhao 250 and x450. I cannot yet afford the more expensive Parkers, Montblancs, and Cross's. But, someday.....

Anyway, just dropping in to say Hi, and a little about my collecting. :)

The pen will always be mightier than the sword

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theverdictis

• slipstream13

• AndrewC

• estie1948

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to FPN!

Enjoy :D

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

Thank you! I have been using this forum as a guide for the past few days while hunting down different pens and inks so, I figured I would join :)

The pen will always be mightier than the sword

Hi and welcome to FPN

I hope we can fire up your interest in fountainpens even further....

By the way, what a nice avatar did you choose. Very tasteful.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thank you! I have been using this forum as a guide for the past few days while hunting down different pens and inks so, I figured I would join :)

Good times, any specific pens/inks that have taken your fancy?

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

:W2FPN:

If you don't mind heavy (and top-heavy) pens, you might think about the Kaigelu 316. Mine was $25, which is a bit over the $15 you're looking at, but not way over.

My Baoer 388 was too dry when I first got it, but after getting brass sheets and opening up the tines a bit, it's been really impressing me.

Welcome, there seems to be a few of us here from the Land o' Entrapment ;) Although i have yet to get there, I've found the Japanese pens and paper to be what I enjoy so far.

Hello and welcome. I am glad you have joined us. Please make yourself right at home and don't be shy about asking questions or stating your opinions. I hope you enjoy the time you spend with us.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Welcome to FPN and this hobby. I don't know where you are in the beautiful Land of Enchantment, but there is a pen club there. You just missed their recent meetup, but if you contact Mike he could put you in touch with some of the folks near you and you could maybe get together. It is always fun to meet with other folks, as we always like to show off our toys. It is a great way to check out other pens and inks. Anyway, I am pasting the email I copied from Pentrace (another pen collectors website) here so you can use it if you wish.

• NMPCC - New Mexico Pen Collector's Club Meeting - 5-10-2014 @ 2:00 - 5:00

Posted by Mike Smukulahttp://cdn.boardhost.com/invisible.gifhttp://cdn.boardhost.com/user_silhouette.pnghttp://cdn.boardhost.com/invisible.gifhttp://cdn.boardhost.com/mail_light.png on May 6, 2014, 3:50 pm

This coming Saturday, the 10th of May, is the "NMPCC", New Mexico Pen Collector's Club Meeting. It will be held at the Pen n Pad Stationary Store in Albuquerque, New Mexico @ 8236 Menaul Blvd. NE.

The Theme for the meeting will be "Unusual Nibs"

We will also be discussing our program that 3 of our members have been working on for the last 2 months called
    "Pen Certification".

As well, our Buy, Sell and Trade table will be up and running as usual! so bring some money to buy something, or Bring something to trade, or bring something to sell! to support our Club!

Any questions, just give Mike a call @ 505-263-9591 or e-mail @ MikesVintagePens@Gmail.com

Best Regards,
    AND
    Happy Collecting,
    Mike

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Hello and :W2FPN:, enjoy the forum.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

:W2FPN:

I used to live in NM near Madrid and Cerrillos. Welcome! Enjoy your pens.

Welcome, Slipstream !

I think the Jinhao x250 is the best writer of my economy pens. The "50-cent" pen describes the Sheaffer cartridge pen that I bought

in the school store in 1960. Silver cap, transparent body. $0.79 with two cartridges. Still works, when I can find the cartridges. Fond

memories.

This is how I keep my cartridge pens clean. Takes one minute. Flushed promptly, there is no dried ink, and the pen is ready for next

use, whenever that is.

fpn_1357109297__earbulbs.jpg

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Greetings from northern California and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great t have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome! I'm a big fan of Chinese and Japanese pens also. I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Hero 100, and then my Chinese pen collection will probably stabilize. At least until the TWSBI 580 AL comes out! :D

Welcome to FPN. I'm glad you like the TWSBI Vac 700. I have two inked pens in my pocket today, one of them is a Vac 700. It's a great writer. Nearly the equal of pens costing several times as much. Also, I used to live in New Mexico. I spent first grade and part of second grade at Walker Air Force Base Elementary School, but I'm not telling how long ago that was.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006