Inky Learning Curve

ellenspn

I test my inks in a notebook using a dip pen. But now I'm realizing that I need to also test them in pens before I jump in and buy some.

I bought a fine black Preppy at the Chicago Pen Show and decided to fill it with Organics Studio's HMS Beagle. Bad decision. Right away the lines it was making were very wide and the pen was leaking ink practically onto the paper. Of course I have a whole bottle of it. Obviously the Preppy was the wrong pen for it. I turned around 180* and cleaned and filled the Preppy with Noodlers KTC. So far it's behaving itself quite well, but give it time.

Now I have to figure out what pen I have can handle the HMS Beagle. Maybe something will come in the mail that will need a free flowing ink like that. I have some Chinese pens winging its way to me.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ellenspn

• AndrewC

• Sandy1

• ac12

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Although they don't have all the inks we might want to try, Goulet Pens has a lot. http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_s/1198.htm Take a look, and then maybe order some samples. For a small amount of money you can get sample os ink to test drive in your pens. You can also post a WTB in the Classifieds for samples of certain inks that you can't get elsewhere and someone might have it. After you build up a supply of samples you don't like, you can trade 'em for others. I have saved lots of money using the samples.

Edited by AndrewC

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Try a Pilot 78G. Mine is a dry writer.

I put Noodler's Emerald City Green into the 78G because it BLOTTED out of my test pens.

so far so good.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi,

Definitely give OSHMSB a fair go in another pen. As much as I like the Preppy, I've found them to be too inconsistent to be used for more than generating simple samples.

Also, if a kitchen detergent was used for cleaning the pen, it might not've been thoroughly removed by the subsequent rinses.

I've also found that diluting an ink with a bit of [distilled] water can slow the flow somewhat; and by lowering the dye load per unit volume, the the ink on paper isn't so dark as to submerge the hue. (If you try that, do so with a few ml, rather than the entire bottle.)

I've seen OSHMSB described as a 'fast dry' ink, so if it achieves that property by virtue of high absorption, then it is likely there will be greater line-width gain (spread) and bleed- show-through than more conventional slower drying inks, especially on uncoated copy/print papers and those with a modest degree of calendering.

I look forward to reading more of your inky adventures.

Bye,

S1

__ __

Dilution - A Rough Guide @ Post № 23 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218161-need-help-selecting-my-first-japanese-pens/?p=2315439

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Although they don't have all the inks we might want to try, Goulet Pens has a lot. http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_s/1198.htm Take a look, and then maybe order some samples. For a small amount of money you can get sample os ink to test drive in your pens. You can also post a WTB in the Classifieds for samples of certain inks that you can't get elsewhere and someone might have it. After you build up a supply of samples you don't like, you can trade 'em for others. I have saved lots of money using the samples.

I did have samples and did test, but with a dip pen, but I have to use an actual fountain pen to test as well.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

I've seen OSHMSB described as a 'fast dry' ink, so if it achieves that property by virtue of high absorption, then it is likely there will be greater line-width gain (spread) and bleed- show-through than more conventional slower drying inks, especially on uncoated copy/print papers and those with a modest degree of calendering.

__ __

Dilution - A Rough Guide @ Post № 23 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218161-need-help-selecting-my-first-japanese-pens/?p=2315439

Yes it's a very fast dry and that's part of the attraction. That makes total sense now. I just need to get it in a more miserly pen. Thanks!

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

Yes it's a very fast dry and that's part of the attraction. That makes total sense now. I just need to get it in a more miserly pen. Thanks!

I haven't tried that ink, but I have tried OS Charles Darwin. It's the fastest drying ink I've ever seen. And super black. But I had terrible bleed through problems with it, even in a pen with an Asian F nib on it.

Definitely sounds as if HMS Beagle has similar behavior (thanks for the heads up). Yeah, a drier pen may be the way to go for you. I'm now thinking that I might try the rest of my sample of OSCD in my Platinum Plaisir, because it tends to write dry.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."