Platinum #3776 Century Black In Black With Uef Nib

Pen2009

After having waited close to 3 months from the initial order, the #3776 black in black with UEF was delivered to my home yesterday.

As there is no stock available at the time of ordering, Platinum handled this as an order-on-demand. So, my #3776 black in black was fresh off Platinum's production.

The slip seal and the friction closing of the cap are similar to the rest of #3776 Century line models. The nib is what this pen separates from the rest. I looked it with my loupe and the tines are in perfect alignment and the tip of the nib is created only an experienced craftman can do. I don't believe any Western companies can do this in house.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4742_zpsf9de800a.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4743_zps00eb27b5.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4744_zpsd5939445.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4745_zpse75cfc56.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4746_zps0e265639.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4747_zpsea965a6d.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4748_zpsb39cb47e.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4749_zpsf434521f.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4750_zps291782ae.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4751_zps668df9e7.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4752_zps28278a59.jpg

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• KBeezie

• sotto2

• Albinoni

This nib looks like it's very fine. What grade size is a UEF nib? What can it do?

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I think UEF = Ultra-Extra-Fine? Certainly looks to come to an ultraextrafine tip!! A writing sample would be great, though...

Whuh? No writing sample with that cool UEF nib?

+1

That nib looks sharp enough to be used as a weapon. Guess the pen can be as deadly as the sword.

I believe in the third photo the pen is actually resting on an extensive writing sample. But the line is so thin that it passes in between the pixels of the digital camera, and so it did not reproduce in the photograph. In digital image processing terms this is known as Platinum Ultra-Extra-Fine Aliasing Disappearance Syndrome, or PUEFADS.

ron

Yes, I have observed a similar phenomenon when the brilliant comments that I have typed into my posts failed to show up in the final versions: Brilliant Expressions Digitally Filtered Offline Gateway (BEDFOG).

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Hmmmmmm........well, Pen2009, the rule here says: without pictures it didn't happen.

What possible use can it be if you aren't going to write with it? :P

Is Platinum the same company as Sailor

Platimun is one of the remaining "Big Three" Japanese fountain pen & nib manufacturers. The other two are Namiki/Pilot & Sailor. Nakaya is an off-shoot of Platinum.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Now, add a little flex to that beautiful nib and you may have a Spencerian Supper Pen!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Nice pictures, I have a 3776 Black in Black coming from a Rakuten store but with a Soft Fine instead of a UEF, 91,000 yen shipped (79,000 or so before consumption tax and shipping). Hope to get it by this weekend if not monday (Shipped via EMS shows having left Tokyo now). The Pictures you have are making the wait a little harder.

I already have a Platinum PTL-5000 with an 14K Extra-Fine Nib (Can only imagine how tiny the ultra fine would have felt), so I wanted to try Platinum's Soft fine (have a Pilot Falcon with a Soft Fine already).

Now, add a little flex to that beautiful nib and you may have a Spencerian Supper Pen!

:P A SUEF nib eh?

Is Platinum the same company as Sailor

Platimun is one of the remaining "Big Three" Japanese fountain pen & nib manufacturers. The other two are Namiki/Pilot & Sailor. Nakaya is an off-shoot of Platinum.

I wouldn't feel bad Albinoni, for a short while I thought Platinum and Platignum were the same company with an 'engrish' spelling, but they're not even part of the same continent.
Edited by KBeezie

I would love to see a writing sample from a Platinum UEF nib right next to one made by a three-tined Platinum music MUSIC.

It would be neat to see a Western cursive script comparison.

Edited by tinta

I would love to see a writing sample from a Platinum UEF nib right next to one made by a three-tined Platinum music MUSIC.

It would be neat to see a Western cursive script comparison.

Seems the Nib Nook doesn't have a Platinum Music nib on the list, just the Sailor's

fpn_1400205314__platnibs.jpg

(And the above doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the 3-tine design of the music nib)

Edited by KBeezie

Good Lordy!

Been shopping at Goulet's for a couple of years now,... but I didn't know this Nib Nook even existed. (Not quite sure how to operate this function.)

Too fine!

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Good Lordy!

Been shopping at Goulet's for a couple of years now,... but I didn't know this Nib Nook even existed. (Not quite sure how to operate this function.)

You just select a pen (or specific nibs in the individual dropdowns) from the drop down and the pictures of write samples show up below so you can look at some generic write samples of each side by side.

It's been handy for me if I want to compare two very similar pens or nibs since they generally do the exact same thing with each pen (though scanning them consistently would be nice but not that bad :P)

Edited by KBeezie

Nice pictures, I have a 3776 Black in Black coming from a Rakuten store but with a Soft Fine instead of a UEF, 91,000 yen shipped (79,000 or so before consumption tax and shipping). Hope to get it by this weekend if not monday (Shipped via EMS shows having left Tokyo now). The Pictures you have are making the wait a little harder.

I already have a Platinum PTL-5000 with an 14K Extra-Fine Nib (Can only imagine how tiny the ultra fine would have felt), so I wanted to try Platinum's Soft fine (have a Pilot Falcon with a Soft Fine already).

:P A SUEF nib eh?

I wouldn't feel bad Albinoni, for a short while I thought Platinum and Platignum were the same company with an 'engrish' spelling, but they're not even part of the same continent.

Isn't Platignum from the UK