Chinese 'curved Nib' Fountain Pens - Worth Looking At Or Not?

Eclectica

Hi all,

Being a curious type of person, some time ago I was intrigued to see some Chinese pens described as having 'curved nibs' such as this:

http://m2.uxcell.com/photo_new/20120713/c/ux_a12071300ux0223_ux_c.jpg

I am slightly tempted to try one, but wish to know a bit more before making a decision. :unsure:

Now my questions are along the lines of:

i) Are these a bit of a gimmick?

ii) Are there variants on the 'curved nib' theme?

iii) Are they worth the effort (how easy are they to use) and are the actual results disappointing?

iv) If you have one, is it a pen which you 'go to', or does something hold you back for most situations (i.e. except doodling, playing, etc.)

...and any comments on their practical use etc. much appreciated.

Best.

E. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• KBeezie

• Algester

• Eclectica

Triumph nibbed Sheaffers have an upturned nib designed to make a bigger sweet spot for writing.

Duke 209 is sometimes sold with this type of nib (or with two sections, one with regular nib and one with curved nib). They are usually around $10-$12 on eBay (shipping included) so it's worth a shot. My Duke 209 FP has a regular nib and is a good writer.

Dan

I bought a Jinhao 250 with the "calligraphy" nib. The Pen was only 5.00 so I took a chance.

I believe it's just a gimmick, however, I don't regret buying the pen as I could see how it could work.

It's fun, but will take a lot of practice to get any effect other than the felt tip marker one :D

They're called Fude or Calligraphy nibs. If you think about how you'd hold a calligraphy brush, up at 90 degrees writing it's a fine line, you bear down to something like 30 degree writing angle and you got a bloody felt marker.

Not really a gimmick per say, just an extremely inexpensive way of achieving some kind of line variation without having to work it into a stub nib.

I still have the nib just sitting around since I replaced it with a 'normal'-ish one.

fpn_1399503255__x450_fude.jpg

Needless to say, it takes a bit of work to be used, and even more work to 'adjust' them.

Edited by KBeezie

I have one of the Duke 209's that came with a nib like that. I must say,I tried it and it and compared to 'western" calligraphy nibs, it is completely counter-intuitive (to me) so the nib is lying in wait until I have more time fiddle around with it. It is certainly not a gimmick, just an easy way of getting the brush effect with a pen. If you check YouTube for 'fude nib' or 'fude pen', you can see what you can (or could after serious practice) do with it.

PS: the DUke 209 is a very nice pen by the way, also with a regular nib :)

Edited by erpe

I remember when Sbrebrown reviewed a Jinhao X750 with a Fude nib. But he didn't really get fancy with it, just treated it like a huge signature nib :P

Edited by KBeezie

I would like to know whether it is an effective design for "Chinese Calligraphy", not whether western writers find it so.

Are there members, who practice "Chinese Calligraphy", able to offer evaluation ? .

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I would like to know whether it is an effective design for "Chinese Calligraphy", not whether western writers find it so.

Are there members, who practice "Chinese Calligraphy", able to offer evaluation ? .

I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

I am an amateur at Chinese calligraphy (both brush pen and "stiff" pen) so take this with a grain of salt. I think these fude nibs are gimmicky, they do not give a writing experience similar to either type of pens, and they are finicky to use. I mean, who would want to constantly change their angle of writing, when a brush pen could achieve much better line variation without the hassle? From what I read on Chinese calligraphy websites, I don't think many (if any) practitioners use fude nibs.

With that said however I believe that masters of brush pen calligraphy might be able to use such nibs and produce beautiful handwriting, but then again they can probably use any pen to good effect.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

I am an amateur at Chinese calligraphy (both brush pen and "stiff" pen) so take this with a grain of salt. I think these fude nibs are gimmicky, they do not give a writing experience similar to either type of pens, and they are finicky to use. I mean, who would want to constantly change their angle of writing, when a brush pen could achieve much better line variation without the hassle? From what I read on Chinese calligraphy websites, I don't think many (if any) practitioners use fude nibs.

With that said however I believe that masters of brush pen calligraphy might be able to use such nibs and produce beautiful handwriting, but then again they can probably use any pen to good effect.

Seems like in that respect it might just be better to spend $20 for a "Brush" Pen like these Konrads. http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Konrad_Brush_Pens_s/1076.htm

edit: or a $5 one. http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Refillable_Carbon_Brush_Pen_p/plat-cftr-250.htm

Edited by KBeezie

in all honesty fude nibs are a bit unweildly to write on I bought a Sailor Fude de Mannen with a 55 degree incline I know how to write with them but I dont want to be reminded of the days I used to write chinese calligraphy with those brushes... <_< maybe I should have bought that 33 degree incline

screw it I take that back it does write like a brush no mistake about it I still get nightmares from it though... It's a good pen if you actually know how to write with it its not gimmicky unless you are not accustomed to writing with chinese calligraphy but I would not recommend this for the small box writing also known as chinese composition writing paper

http://i.imgur.com/wiufUG6l.jpg

PS: I never had good penmanship in both English and Chinese unless I slowed my pace down

Edited by Algester

Masters seem to be able to do wonderful work with a household broom or an uprooted weed. I guess the question is would they want to work with a Fude nib?

ron

I own a Sailor pen with a nib like this. I didn't care for it at all in either English or Chinese.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Some great comments and discussion here, which highlights one of the many things I love about fountain pens is that there is always more to learn about;

- like the 'Fude' nib - (now I know what it is called - many thanks! :D ).

In searching for this, a whole new series of wonderfully artistic and creative nibs appeared, mostly Japanese - King Eagle nibs, Concorde, Dorsal fin - cool! :)

Fountain pens are truly great!!

Happy writing folks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

I bought a Sailor calligraphy nib as a gift to my father.

This is some writing sample:

http://i.imgur.com/2OD301v.jpg

Copy "美工笔书法" and search on google, you'll find many nice works by a calligraphy nib. But I believe you need to learn how to use it and practice a lot.