Thoughts On The Lamy Cp1

camoandconcrete

Hey all,

I have been interested in the CP1 for some time now, but there aren't many reviews of it online and not much info as well. I was hoping if anyone owns it, they could provide some thoughts.

I love its minimally minimal look and was thinking it could be a good pen to toss into my bag, go and not have to worry too much about it.

Thanks!

Edited by MiamiArchStudent

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• camoandconcrete

• soapytwist

• Gump

• bayindirh

The CP1 in matte black was my second FP and I still own it. It is extremely well constructed with a heft that is pleasing to me. The main negative I have heard associated with this pen is its diameter, but that's simply a matter of personal preference. The steel nibs are interchangeable with the Safari, Al-Star, Nexx, etc., which is quite nice. I have 4-5 different nibs that I switch out on my pens and it's a very simple process.

Overall, I would only urge you to consider its diameter as a potential negative. Great pen otherwise.

The link has broken to my review in the Reviews section. Click on the link in my sig - scroll down and the CP1 is at Day Five.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Good pen, standard Lamy steel nib. You either like the width of the barrel or you don't. Black ones can get scratched or marred, but you have to work at it. My only real design quibble is that the section material is a bit thin and you have to be careful when tightening not to overtighten. There is the higher-cost one with the better nib but IMO that is overpriced.

Edited by J English Smith

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I LIKE it.

It is one of the few slimline pens still made. And I LIKE slimline pens. I retired my 2000 into my collection because it is too FAT for comfortable writing.

I like the ability to change nibs. If I want a different nib, I just buy a $15 nib, I don't have to buy new pen.

The pen's writing performance depends heavily on the specific nib on the pen. A good nib will feel nice to write with, a bad nib will give you all sorts of problems. I've used XF, F, 1.1 nibs on mine.

My only semi-negative comment is, when posted, the center of gravity/balance point moves just a bit too far to the back of the pen. On my other pens that I like, the balance point isn't so far to the back. But like pen diameter, how you feel about the balance is individual.

Personally, I would not "toss it into the bag." Especially not the black one, as that could chip off the black coating. If you do that, get the silver colored one, as it does not have the black coating to chip off.

BTW, a black cp1 with a black nib looks pretty neat. :)

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I LIKE it.

It is one of the few slimline pens still made. And I LIKE slimline pens. I retired my 2000 into my collection because it is too FAT for comfortable writing.

I like the ability to change nibs. If I want a different nib, I just buy a $15 nib, I don't have to buy new pen.

The pen's writing performance depends heavily on the specific nib on the pen. A good nib will feel nice to write with, a bad nib will give you all sorts of problems. I've used XF, F, 1.1 nibs on mine.

My only semi-negative comment is, when posted, the center of gravity/balance point moves just a bit too far to the back of the pen. On my other pens that I like, the balance point isn't so far to the back. But like pen diameter, how you feel about the balance is individual.

Personally, I would not "toss it into the bag." Especially not the black one, as that could chip off the black coating. If you do that, get the silver colored one, as it does not have the black coating to chip off.

BTW, a black cp1 with a black nib looks pretty neat. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I like the pen a lot, but I'm not sure if I'll be bothered by the diameter of the pen...only one way to find out.

Also, I was under the impression the black one was Makrolon just like the 2000? Is it a thin lacquer over a base metal?

No it is not Makaron, it just looks like it. It is about a thick as a no 2 pencil. It is a Lamy nib so not different in that regard. Right now it is my daily carry instead of my Lamy 2000. If you can go to a store and try it out, a CP 1 and a Logo. If you want a thin Lamy pen it is a good choice. If you think a Safari or Twsbi/Pelikan M200 is the right thickness you might want to skip this pen.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

Love mine. Very solid little pen, writes like a Lamy (plus for me). It is thin, which works well for my very small hands. I can see how others might be bothered by that. I carry it with me daily. Great on its own, and a nice change of pace for my hands on heavy writing days.

Wish I'd discovered it sooner.

• 2 years later...

I just spent a morning going through my pens and found an old stainless steel version of the cp1. Put a new EF nib on it and inked it with Aurora blue.

In the past, I never really liked the thinness of the pen. But now I'm quite intrigued ... it handles like a pencil! Even writes like one! An antidote to more flashy pens, the humble appearance belies the incredibly detailed design and manufacturing - not a pen for everybody, but a good choice for slightly obsessive design enthusiasts. Unlike recent designs, there is solid thinking behind this one.

So that's why I'm reviving this thread. Does anybody else have a love for the old version cp1?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have one and love it. Mine is a modern matte black one, inked with Lamy black. It handles very uniquely and is a beautiful writer. It's really very minimalistic and detailed, which why I bought it in the first place. I'm not a fond of flashy pens that live not to write but show themselves.

I don't have the old version but, it deserves the same love with the new version if you ask me.