Waterman's 14K C/f 1928? Is It Worth Anything ?

londonbooks

Just acquired this Waterman's C/F in excellent working condition. There is a date still partly visible on the barrel that say's "C 1928" and underneath the letters F.T.C and I think a $. It is barely visible but I think that's what it says.

Edited by londonbooks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• londonbooks

• Left FPN

• RMN

• athenian

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one really similar on eBay recently but can't recall what price it went for.

A 1928 C/F will have immense value.

Well that is good news. I'm not positive it is a 1928 but I will get it checked out somehow. Thanks.

English humour....dry.

It is definitely not 1928 but it is a nice looking pen with value, say £40 to £70. Ebay Completed listings will provide an average cost.

Are the marks an impression, or a "chalk mark" that just lies on the surface. If its the latter, then these are my speculations: 1928 might be a model number from the very last days of Waterman in the US when they were a sock-puppet of Bic (the student C/C was sold in that patch as the 298), FTC I think refers to Federal Tax {something with C}, and the $ would have been followed with a price-- probably $15, or a little more.

If the chalk mark is in place, it probably hasn't seen a lot of use, and the "buttresses" on the section are in really good shape, so whatever the going range is, yours will be at the fat end of it.

As far as date goes, Doc Brown and whimsical Englishmen ;) left to one side, it's probably 1953 - c. 1961 (the latter date being the latest I've seen ads from US stockists offering domestic Waterman pens).

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Are the marks an impression, or a "chalk mark" that just lies on the surface. If its the latter, then these are my speculations: 1928 might be a model number from the very last days of Waterman in the US when they were a sock-puppet of Bic (the student C/C was sold in that patch as the 298), FTC I think refers to Federal Tax {something with C}, and the $ would have been followed with a price-- probably $15, or a little more.

If the chalk mark is in place, it probably hasn't seen a lot of use, and the "buttresses" on the section are in really good shape, so whatever the going range is, yours will be at the fat end of it.

As far as date goes, Doc Brown and whimsical Englishmen ;) left to one side, it's probably 1953 - c. 1961 (the latter date being the latest I've seen ads from US stockists offering domestic Waterman pens).

The writing is as you said "chalk marks" nearly rubbed off so I'm not sure what it says. I did a little research and now know it was probably made in the 1950s. Also, the cartridge with it is not available now so that increases the value of the pen as a whole. It's in excellent condition overall - no scratches or dings.

Yeah, I would be very careful with that cartridge and get a nice syringe for refilling.

I'm not sure if Amazon still carries the C/F converters, could not find it just now.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Yeah, I would be very careful with that cartridge and get a nice syringe for refilling.

I'm not sure if Amazon still carries the C/F converters, could not find it just now.

D.ick

I do have a syringe so the pen is ready to write.

That sentence in your signature should now read:

Please don't chew on the C/F-cartridge....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have 31 of the beasts, and that would make a lovely #32.

You can still buy converters for them; several threads on the topic should be searchable.

The cartridges are scarce but do turn up. I donated some empties to a member recently.

Glenn.

I think I just bought this pen. It definitely looks nice.

I think I just bought this pen. It definitely looks nice.

I don't know if we can talk about an ebay sale on this website but the pen you bought and the one mentioned here are the same.

I don't know if we can talk about an ebay sale on this website but the pen you bought and the one mentioned here are the same.

Ok. Thanks. As I said, it definitely looks great.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post - but I just saw it and can't help but chime in.....

I have a been collecting C\Fs (and C\Cs) with chalk marks for a while now. I also have saved pics that people post here or on Ebay.

The format for C\F and C\C chalk marks was something like this..

First line; C\F 1250 (this could be 595, 875, 1250, or 1500 for C\Fs - 295 or 298 for C\Cs)

Second line: MED FLEX or some other description of the nib. Saying these are fleixible is a bit of an overstatement

Third LIne: $12.50 F.T.I. (the price and model number always seem to match, and I think the FTI is Fed Tax Included??)

KD3 (not all pens have this last line - i think this identified the model subtypes, color,nib size etc?)

An interesting observations is that while Wterman the advertisements always shows the pen as c/f, with lower case letter and a right leaning slash mark /, the chalk marks are always upper case and sometime have right and sometimes left leaning slashes....

Anyone with photos of chalk marks they want to share please let me know off line.

Kevin