Over Tightened Section Stuck Halp!

Mardi13

Oh, help. I have had this lovely little eyedropper for a mere 24 hours and have already screwed it up. Really, I shouldn't be allowed near these things...anyhow, it was leaking a smidge and I tightened it some more, and now it WILL. NOT. BUDGE. I already damaged it a tiny bit trying to get it off and am now totally terrified. I pulled out the nib and feed and the pen is soaking in water in case there is dried ink in there adding to the problem, but I can't move it, and I can see that it is a bit off kilter. Help!

I'm an idiot. Sheesh.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mardi13

• watch_art

• Freddy

• KBeezie

what kind of eye dropper? The materials can have an impact on the advice given (ie: soaking, the manner of working it out, etc).

Also was any kind of lubricant used on the section threads? (silicone grease for example, which is usually an essential item for all eye-droppers to prevent them from leaking if they don't have some other means like an o-ring or such).

Edited by KBeezie

Is it hard rubber? Hard rubber becomes very difficult to unscrew once it's over tightened because it ends up acting like suction cups. Usually, applying some heat (if it really is hard rubber) can help loosen up the section.

get a couple of rubber grippy pad things or some inner tube for bicycle tires - and put a bit around the barrel and a bit around the section - and TURN.

When you put it together in the future, just snug enough is all it will need.

What Shawn said..Turn..don't panic..be patient..and

rubber glove{s} work well..too.

Lesson learned.

Fred

Practise is the best of all instructions

~ Syrus ~

It shouldn't really matter what kind of pen it is - she just needs more grip - and rubber stuff will help. With silicon grease I find that what would normally be a snug fit becomes REALLY tight. The grease makes it harder to unscrew at times. :)

It shouldn't really matter what kind of pen it is - she just needs more grip - and rubber stuff will help. With silicon grease I find that what would normally be a snug fit becomes REALLY tight. The grease makes it harder to unscrew at times. :)

True, but the grease would have also prevented the leakage that prompted the OP to twist it tighter in the first place. :P This is of course assuming, that no silicone grease was used.

Leakage at the section joint happens when the threads

are not cleanse of ink..so clean threads

with generic Q-Tip and apply a minuscule bit of

silicone grease to prevent. Another cause..

for leaking could be the pen was shaken and ink leaked

in cap..which appears as the section - joint leakin'...

Again..some patience and perseverance...

Turn..Turn..with your rubber thingy of choice...

Fred

I am going to leave it until tomorrow. I tried grippy stuff and it didn't work. I am actually not sure if it is BHR or plastic-type, it's a no-name pen, black.

Thanks. I will try to keep breathing ,and worse case scenario it goes into the "taking these to the hospital" group.

If you can get the feed out, can't you just refill through the front opening? I'm sure you can get it loose by turning with greater force, but if you think you can't get it done and it's a cheap pen, I'd just forget about it.

I use rubber bands wrapped multiple times around both parts. They seem to work better on really small stuff than larger rubber grips...

When that failed I have VERY GENTLY used a pair of pliers with the rubber bands as a cushion (and I mean very gently....) But I am used to using pliers on plastic pieces to gently unscrew them without damaging them (we used to race RC cars back in the days of yore...) There is kind of a tipping point where things will go badly.

Good luck.

Fledermaus89 ( I like that tag) - it wasn't a cheap pen. I might try the rubber band idea, but I caused damage with the pliers, so no more of that! And I thought about the idea of refilling through the opening, but I would really like to get it undone...

...anyhow, thanks all for the input.

Fledermaus89 ( I like that tag) - it wasn't a cheap pen. I might try the rubber band idea, but I caused damage with the pliers, so no more of that! And I thought about the idea of refilling through the opening, but I would really like to get it undone...

...anyhow, thanks all for the input.

I use "KD 135 spark plug pliers"..which will not damage your

pen..For your consideration..good thread re: section removal

tool....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/205670-what-is-a-section-tool-really-called/

Please do not use pliers..even with rubber boots..they can

cause damage..

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/Photos/tools/motor_spec_k110_pliers_combo_plain_f_cropped_inset_w560_h233.jpg

If you do use 'em remove the serrated area and place rubber over...

Fred

Ordered the pliers from a tool website, $21 w/shipping.

Be careful, whatever you do! I've had this exact problem, and stupidly used pliers. Like Freddy alluded to, they dug into the section, scratching a ring into it, right where my fingers go to hold on when writing. It did come apart, but now I've got a "damaged" pen. It's only just slightly annoying and the pen still writes beautifully, but just be careful and be patient! I'm just glad this happened to me on a cheap pen!

Edited by Kristene

I have a bottle of this Potion No. 7 on order.

http://www.pensburymanor.com/pensburymanor/Pen_Potion_No.7.html

I haven’t used it yet so can’t verify how well it works, but it was developed for Wahl-Eversharp pens which have notoriously stubborn and delicate sections. Might be worth looking into?

In my very limited experience patience is the key.

Best of luck with it.

Thank you Nanor. I sent it off to someone who very kindly offered to fix it because I lost my nerve. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to get at all into doing repairs myself.

• 2 months later...

Made a new section this morning. :)

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/gem-4.jpg?w=700&h=
http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/gem-2.jpg?w=700&h=
http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/gem-1.jpg?w=1000&h=