What Does "jinhao" Mean As A Chinese Word?

DaveBj

Never mind the phonetic, English translation. Translate the written name.

Warning : The year is 2015, and the spoken language is Mandarin. Even

they don't know what things mean. :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveBj

• Sasha Royale

• Tenkai

• dbs

So what, then, does JinBao mean?

I'm in the same boat as DaveBj.

Jim

As a data analyst, I must wonder what the probability is that two people own JinHao fountain pens and JinBao euphoniums. ;-)

Jim Williams

N9EJR Extra Class

Euphonium Player around several towns

Boy, what a can of worms ! And, this is only Mandarin. What about the Cantonese dialect ?

Sometimes, I could swear that "Babel" was a Chinese city. :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

So what, then, does JinBao mean?

I'm in the same boat as DaveBj.

Jim

As a data analyst, I must wonder what the probability is that two people own JinHao fountain pens and JinBao euphoniums. ;-)

I may be the only one, at least in this country; how cool is that?

(Probabilities would run higher in China, tho.)

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

In terms of the catchword, Jinhao stands for "Golden Rich Rednecks", which sounds sort of rustic in Chinese tone. Further, except me, any one else think the logo of Jinhao looks like an imitation of Coach logo?

• 5 years later...
On 5/11/2014 at 5:38 PM, Seele said:

豪 cannot possibly be "oyster" without a radical making it 蠔 .

On 5/12/2014 at 8:40 AM, Tenkai said:

My bad, oyster is the one with the bug character in front. >__<

Yup, Seele is right about

Golden Chivalry. :)

On a side note, they do have the balls to make clones. Though they have wonderful designs too :D

technically you are both right. That's what they were going for. Jinhao is the manufactor's actual brand. The company behind it is based in Shanghai which still considered part of southern china.

• 4 weeks later...

You are all wrong.

Jin, means gold, no issue here.

But "Hao", in Chinese is "毫“. Means the tail hair of weasel. In old days when people were still using brush pen. The best brush pen called "狼毫“,where 狼 means weasel here. The brush is made of tail hair of a weasel due to its spring constant, water saturation etc...

Jinhao, means the nib is made of the gold tail hair of weasel. Means the best of the pen in its class. 

6 hours ago, dbs said:

You are all wrong.

Jin, means gold, no issue here.

But "Hao", in Chinese is "毫“.

Are you seriously claiming that the Jinhao brand name is 金毫, not 金豪, in Chinese?

Here's a product image from a listing by the Jinhao Official Flagship Store 金豪文具旗舰店 on Taobao:

O1CN01p0oUIn227wN8cysZc_!!2842117074.jpg

and this was Jinhao's official website, outside of Chinese marketplace platforms such as JD.com and Taobao:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110504141204/http://www.jinhaopen.com/en/indexen.asp

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:35 PM, A Smug Dill said:

Are you seriously claiming that the Jinhao brand name is 金毫, not 金豪, in Chinese?

豪,here is to mimic "毫". Same pronunciation.

說文  作豪。籀文作毫 (copy from Kangxi dictionary

0593.gif

Dear me, and here I was, thinking Jinhao meant "Jello". ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

More seriously, I think they intentionally chose ambiguity and the discussion sounds like arguing if Parker is related to car-parking people at restaurant doors or whether "Waterman" refers to men who use water-based inks (while in these cases the reason for the name is obviously unrelated).

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I'm with @txomsy on this one. Jinhao ambiguously evokes something like Goldlux. There is no deep meaning to be found, only a vague impression of precious magnificence, and even then it's stretching it.

To go further would be to speculate that "er" in the ancient Indo-European languages meant "to wander, to travel". Therefore, Parker means "to stroll in a park" and Waterman expresses a certain perplexity, "What are you doing here, man?".

6 hours ago, txomsy said:

More seriously, I think they intentionally chose ambiguity and the discussion sounds like arguing if Parker is related to car-parking people at restaurant doors…

1 hour ago, VillersCotterets said:

To go further would be to speculate that "er" in the ancient Indo-European languages meant "to wander, to travel". Therefore, Parker means "to stroll in a park"…

I couldn't have put it better myself if I tried.

I think it's cool and great that someone has an alternative interpretation of the name to offer, and I even enjoyed the appeal to authority by citing Kangxi Dictionary (which, in turn, cites sources far further back in antiquity). But preferring one interpretation of some other entity's proper noun of a name, that wasn't chosen by oneself in the first place, does not make one the voice of authority and everyone else (who does not concur) “wrong”. Being classically educated opens up possibilities not seen by others, but does not make one an expert in what someone else — with whom one is not acquainted or affiliated — decided for a company name in the second half of the Eighties.

There's a difference between, “You could all be wrong, because there is also this possible interpretation,” and a definite, “You are all wrong.” In choosing to make the latter statement, @dbs has certainly erred, and the question is only how and by how much.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I did a little Google in the Hong Kong and Taiwan areas and found no clear explanation.

However, I was a little surprised to find that even Chinese speakers were asking about the meaning of the proper noun "金豪" in general.

The origin of the name of a brand is always the name of the person or organization that named it, so it should be possible for them to explain it.

There may be a reason why they don't give an explanation for the brand name that Chinese speakers have to ask questions about.

As for @dbs' explanation, I respect the opinion that it is strictly speculative since no manufacturer's reference is quoted so far.

But that explanation is very clear to me, being in a culture of Chinese characters. And I like it because it fits me very well.

There are many cases in Japan where an appropriate character has been designated as an old character and is therefore written in the new character, even when it is obvious that it was originally an old character.

Well, to avoid heating up the controversy, Jin Hao may be just Jin Hao, as others have said.

😅