Kaweco Sport Classic Or Pilot Metropolitan

mrzas

My first post woo

I was if you could help me decide between an extra fine Kaweco and fine Pilot metro as an everyday carry pen. I will mainly be using it in university and hospital writing on crappy paper and just wondering what your opinions are of these two pens.... and if you have ever had one of these in your pocket whilst wearing lead gowns or had to clean blood/contrast media of them

Thanks for all the help :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrzas

• Moshe ben David

• hot cocoa

• tedd

I would go for the pilot. I have never used a Kaweco Sport, but the Pilot seems like a better bang for your buck. With the Pilot you get a reliable nib, metal construction, and a decent converter for using bottled ink. The only downside I can see is that you cannot really post the cap very well. My metro has faired me well in the classroom environment. Both pens have their supporters.

Another vote for the Metropolitan, while the Kaweco is a good pen, it can be difficult to write with unless you post it.

-Andy

I have/ LOVE/ regularly use both.

If you keep it in your pocket, go for Kaweco. Otherwise Metropolitan is cheaper (at least here) option.

From convenience stand point, Pilot converter is readily available, whereas Kaweco... not so much. I have seen a video clip of attaching a ink sac on the back of the international converter and use it as a squeeze converter for Kaweco, but seems like more hassle than worth it. Pilot cartridges have better ink capacity as well, which you can refill with an ink syringe.

I vote for the Metropolitan. The availability of the fine and medium nib, the still slim size, and the sturdy clip (that won't slide around like the Kaweco) make it the winner here IMO. I like the Kaweco as a tag along pocket pen and personally carry it more than my metro, but I think that a Metro with a Con-50 converter will be much more enjoyable.

I'd personally probably pick the Kaweco Sport, because I love small pocket pens and the Sport can be converted to eyedropper, but if you're looking for a general purpose pen, the Metropolitan might be better.

Never had a Kaweco pen at all (they seem too small for me, but they are pocket pens with normal size when posted), but I really like my Pilot Metropolitan Bronze Lizard with a medium nib, and I just ordered a black crocodile with a fine nib. My metro has been very durable that nothing happened other than an extremely tiny dent on the bottom of the barrel when it fell from about 3 feet onto tile. The medium nib on it is very smooth, starts right up. Probably my only gripe with it is that the outside of the body can be too slick depending on how you're handling it.

If I don't mind the medium (western fine) nib, then it's usually my carry pen for it's durable and reliable so far. Otherwise I have a vintage Pilot Elite "Big Cap" with an extra fine nib that's small like the Kaweco but probably a little thinner. Hoping the Black crocodile fills the void in the middle, being a beater pen but finer on the line width (but not too fine, thus smooth).

Besides, it's only $15 ($20 if you want the Con-50 converter, but the converter it comes with, takes in so much ink for just a single squeeze of the sac, and does nicer than the separate Con-20 squeeze one you can get with just the tiny little squeeze window). it's also very easy to fill a used Pilot cartridge (very wide mouth, probably why it flows well, the feed is the only bottleneck).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pmetro/uncapped.jpg

If you got crappy paper, go with the Fine Nib (Japanese Fine), less likely to bleed and feather. Kaweco's extra-fine is still thicker than the Metro's Medium.

fpn_1399689603__pmetro_kaweco.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

I don't have a Kaweco so can't comment on it.

I have had my Pilot Metropolitan Violet Leopard for 4 weeks. It is a solid pen. Good writer. Always starts up. Has never skipped on me. The Medium nib is a little thicker than I like but that was the only one available at the time. Now that the Fine nib is available, the colors I want are "out of stock" (grumble). I love this pen enough to want one in Fine point. And I want to get some as gifts to see who I can get hooked onto FPs. ;)

I don't think you can go wrong with the Metro.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I've always had trouble with the smaller size of the Kawecos, and I really like a Japanese fine nib, so the Pilot Metropolitan would be my choice.

Both, and then see which you prefer and pass on the other. I love Pilots as they just write such a nice line, and Kaweco sports are handy to stash anywhere and have more nib options. I think the difference in your ink capacities in these pens in negligible, so really it comes down to form factor, and sometimes a preference is hard to pin down without handling them in person.

I am a huge fan of Pilot Pens. I like the Metropolitan. For practicality's sake, I think the Metropolitan would work out better in the long run. It's got a metal body, a excellent steel nib, and writes really well. You can use cartridges as you may run out of ink in the middle of something, or you can fill it up at the end of a work week. If it gets lost or stolen, it is easily replaceable. It comes in several colors and patterns and in a fine nib (finally!)

The Kawaco Sport is a nice travelling fountain pen, but it is plastic (unless you get the metal one) and limits you to cartridges. You would also need a clip in case you want to clip it to a pocket for easy access. (Sold separately like Fisher Bullet Space Pens) It retails for $25 (?- I bought mine at Flax Art here in SF for $27.50), so it may be more costly of a replacement. It can get scuffed up in the pocket if you keep it with your pants. (Learned that the hard way) Shirt pocket is better.

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

My first post woo

had to clean blood/contrast media off them

Thanks for all the help :D

First off WELCOME and a great big "HEY!" from Texas!

I think contaminates will be easier to remove from a metal pen. Plastics scratch easily and gives blood and ? places to hide.

The snap on cap, which I personally dislike, does make it easier to put the pen in use. My suggestion would be Pilot, for the reasons I stated.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

I think the Pilot is more pen for your money and will work for more people BUT the Kaweco has more character. I would personally pick the Kaweco. If you are truly worried about getting blood all over the pen the metal Metropolitan will be more sanitary....that said I would use a cheap Bic for blood showers so that I could toss them. Have you considered a Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy?

I like the Kaweco Sports much better than the Metro, they're fun and easy to carry. Based on your description I would agree with Paul that the snap cap and being metal might fit your current needs better. With one Great Big Caveat. For me, the step down from the barrel to the section is the sharpest, meanest step on the market.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Metro. I have a fine bibbed one that I love. In fact I had a couple others that that I gave to some folks to convert them to fountain pens. Mine posts securely, has great flow, and is comfortable for long writing sessions. For the money it is hard to beat. I had a Kaweco a while back. It felt cheaply made by comparison.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

I really love my Kaweco, but I lucked out in getting the smoothest, most responsive F nib that I have ever used, on any pen. Also, the size and the shape of the pen are perfect for my hand. I refill cartridges with a syringe in a second when I'm home. But do try to at least hold them both; your hand might tell you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, first i would like to say thanks for all the advice and second of all sorry for the late reply was having my finals.

I think the Pilot is more pen for your money and will work for more people BUT the Kaweco has more character. I would personally pick the Kaweco. If you are truly worried about getting blood all over the pen the metal Metropolitan will be more sanitary....that said I would use a cheap Bic for blood showers so that I could toss them. Have you considered a Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy?

have to say your suggestion of pilot varsity does make a bit more sense than taking something valuable in to a situation where i might just have to bin it :thumbup: just means i am going to buy a few pilot varsitys when i finally find a fine nib pilot metropolitan in the uk :mellow:

The Pilot has much greater ink capacity than the Kaweco. I've found that the Pilot nib is very smooth directly out of the box and I like the extra fineness of it too! Even the older medium was an excellent nib- extremely smooth.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I would go with the Metropolitan simply cause it has a slide on cap rather than a screw on cap, it would be more convenient to use in an hectic environment, though both pens are excellent writers and easy to clean.

I have a Kaweco AC Sport and love it but for your usage the Pilot looks like a better fit.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!