Looks Like Twsbi Owners Seek To Customize More Than For Other Pens?

Moshe ben David

I have a D580 and a VAC700 both in broad nib. Both nibs are nice but for general use purpose use I swapped the nib in the vac700 for a fine duofold international nib I have from a broken pen.

Works like a charm but since the duofold feed won't fit, I use the original twsbi feed and the setup works perfectly: nib is smooth, wet and the pen never skips.

http://i.imgur.com/B3IOAyu.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/ydJ3okD.jpg?1

That pen with a full fill of ink is a true workhorse!!!

http://i.imgur.com/ZRe2FLj.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/mBay8ZH.jpg?1

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• 23Larsen

• Moshe ben David

• mikehodgman

some people also like to modify the nibs into semi-flex category just for the sake of it, though I'd like to see someone chuck in a gold nib into one of the pens if that will change the writing experience

Guilty of both. Thinning the thickness and streamlining the tines of the Vac extra fine nib actually worked quite well, until I got greedy and tried adding some wings as well, at which point it crashed and burned. Prior to the greed:

fpn_1400681999__twsbispring.jpg

Now it sports a soft-fine nib from a Platinum Century #3776, which is absolutely splendid.

fpn_1400682157__twsbigold01.jpg

Aesthetically I'm not a huge fan of the TWSBI trim with the gold nib (your Duofold nib looks heaps better in that respect, frenchguy86), but the writing experience is just what I had in mind. Simply a case of putting the Platinum nib on the TWSBI feed and away I went.

fpn_1400682297__twsbigold02.jpg

I suspect it's not so much that TWSBI owners are tweakers and fiddlers, just that the tweakers and fiddlers are drawn to TWSBIs as being tweak and fiddle-friendly.

Cheers, Al

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a FP newbie. more or less haven't touched FP since i was in grade school playing with my father's pens. some 30 yrs later, as in now, i decided i need to improve my penmanship. so, i bought a FP. TWSBI 580 in M. since i don't know anything about FP, i looked around, read a ton of reviews, check prices, and i decided on TWSBI 580. why this pen when there are other great beginner's pen?

one thing that popped out to me even with all those issues with nib not working properly on occasions, too dry, too wet, baby bottom, cracked parts.. i read when it writes, it writes like a dream. so i took time to read about how to work the nib. read about how to tune the nib, how to fix problems, and ordered the pen.

it came few days ago. i took it out of the box, flushed it with soap and water. took a look at the nib under the magnifying glass.. made few adjustments.. and it does write like a dream :) much better than writing with ball point pen, or my Mount Blanc rollerball pen. i might decide later on to smooth out the nib just a little, but i don't see how that will improve this nib. of course, that's just a newbie's opinion. i'm sure there are other pens with much better performance.

as long as the pen doesn't crack as some of 580s do, i don't see how this pen can be any better. love way it writes with Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses.

I could not agree more. I have had my Micarta v2 for a couple of weeks now, absolutely loving it. Bought mine from Pendleton Brown and with his work this pen writes better than anything else i have tried.

I´m considering getting a second one. The Micarta wont be around for much longer and this might well be my grail pen. This time ill have it with the frosted and flex option from PB.

I saw your review of the nib on a TWSBI mini, looked very tempting :)