Parker 51 - Need Help Identifying

PenFetish

I have a mystery Parker 51 in Cocoa, but I don't know which model. There are a few anomalies that I cannot figure out. The date code is 9, surrounded by the 3 dots, so I assume it is a 1949 version. The nib is gold, a firm XF. Other than these two details, nothing is as usual.

When comparing with a regular 51:

The silver cap is 1/8" longer

The arrow is 1/8" longer

The length of the barrel is shorter by 1/4"

The nib section is shorter by 1/8"

The cap is more tapered and has a smaller jewel on the end

It looks like a 61 cap, but won't fit a 61

The overall pen length when capped is about 1/8" shorter

The barrel widths are the same.

It's not small enough to be a Demi, and not new enough to be a MK III transitional - as the end of the barrel is round. Since the nib is gold and the jewel is not black, I don't think it can be a Special.

The Aerometric Filler is fully enclosed with a black plastic endcap, and says "...Press 6 times..." So it's a mystery. This cap does not fit any other Parker pen that I own, not a 51 or a 61.

If anyone has ideas, I would love to know what you think. I took lots of pictures of the mystery pen side-by side with a regular 51 and a 61.

Many Thanks!

post-90135-0-06111300-1399577982.jpg

post-90135-0-79100700-1399578004.jpg

post-90135-0-68108800-1399578058.jpg

post-90135-0-63981100-1399578070.jpg

post-90135-0-16589700-1399578078.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenFetish

• FarmBoy

• TimGirdler

• joss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a nice comparison and you provide some interesting arguments on your mystery pen.

The cocoa pen does look like an early Parker 51 Demi with its typical shorter ink sleeve in shiny metal. The short ink sleeve in shiny metal is found on early Demi's only and that fits well with date code 9 of the pen. So when you argue that the pen is too long to be a Demi, do you refer to the total length of the pen (pen plus barrel) or the pen alone?

The cap on the cocoa pen, including its gold clip, looks like it belongs to a Parker 61. Parker 61 caps can be found in two different lengths. If I remember well, the caps on early P61 pens were longer compared to later production pens. I am not sure whether the long and short P61 caps are interchangeable. If they are not, this might be the reason why the long cap does not fit to your turquoise Parker 61 pen.

These are just thoughts.

What are the markings on the cap of the cocoa pen?

Does the cap of the blue P51 fit to the cocoa pen?

Edited by joris

If the pen has a 9 with three dots it would mean it was made in the 1st quarter of 1949. I'm thinking the cap and pen are a mismatch. A later Aerometric cap with an earlier body. Also, the pen does appear to be a Demi size.

I think that cap would be from a MKII 51 from about 1969-1971. Does it have "51" etched on the sides of the cap?

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Thanks Joris & Florida Blue -

The cap has PARKER marked on one side of it, and MADE IN USA on the other side. No other markings.

The cap on the Blue 51 does not fit on the Cocoa pen. None of the pictured pens have interchangeable caps, they are all unique.

As for the Demi size, I thought the overall length would be considerably shorter, both with and without the cap on ... much more the just 1/8".

I came to the same conclusion ... a mismatched FrankenPen. Now to find the opposite mate, that may take a lifetime of searching!

The Cocoa 51 is a Demi and you have the wrong cap.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Yes, I believe the cap is really for a 61, but somehow it got attached to this 51 and was sold "as is" for a project pen. There is a 2 mm difference between the 61 caps, and that fits in with the 61 cap changes between MK I and MK II.

Did you consider a true 51 Demi cap with a 61 clip? If the original clip was lost, it could be replaced with another clip.

It's likely that the cap on the Demi Cocoa has four fingers in the cap. Parker switched to this--even on the later, non-Mark III "51"s. As such, the fingers grab the shell (the hood), not the clutch ring--that's why this cap works.

The pen itself looks to be in really good shape. The chrome sac guard is in good shape and it has the earlier full sac guard. In my opinion, it would be well worth trying to find a Demi cap that will go along with your Demi pen. You'd have a VERY nice pen.

If you don't care to search for a cap and want to unload the pen, contact through my website below.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

The Demi 51 pictured is a first or second year example and would have had a standard clutch basket type cap not a finger clutch cap.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The clutch in this Demi cap is the long version with 5 ports. And I do believe it is grabbing the shell, not the ring.

I remeasured the barrel width again, right at the clutch ring. It is ever so slightly smaller by only .75 mm.

I needed a micrometer to measure this small difference.

I am on a hunt now for an early version Slender/Demi cap. I think this is the only way to tell if it's a standard size.

Many thanks, everyone for your ideas. I will let you know if I ever find another early Demi cap to try on for size.

The Demi 51 pictured is a first or second year example and would have had a standard clutch basket type cap not a finger clutch cap.

I think you've completely misunderstood what I was trying to say, and it could be because I wasn't as clear as possible. Allow me to clarify:

Of course the pen pictured would need a cap with a Demi-sized clutch in it. The point I was making is this: The cap that is with the pen now is not the right cap and the cap the pen has now is likely a later Parker cap with fingers that hold the shell, not a clutch that engages with the clutch ring on the pen--which is why the cap seems to "work" on the pen.

Blessings,

Tim

Edited by TimGirdler

The clutch in this Demi cap is the long version with 5 ports. And I do believe it is grabbing the shell, not the ring.

I remeasured the barrel width again, right at the clutch ring. It is ever so slightly smaller by only .75 mm.

I needed a micrometer to measure this small difference.

I am on a hunt now for an early version Slender/Demi cap. I think this is the only way to tell if it's a standard size.

Many thanks, everyone for your ideas. I will let you know if I ever find another early Demi cap to try on for size.

If you do search for a new cap, make sure you search for an aero cap from the same era as the body of the pen. They're probably not that hard to find and you'll have made a great, germane pen out of a frankenpen.

Blessings,

Tim

I think you've completely misunderstood what I was trying to say, and it could be because I wasn't as clear as possible. Allow me to clarify:

Of course the pen pictured would need a cap with a Demi-sized clutch in it. The point I was making is this: The cap that is with the pen now is not the right cap and the cap the pen has now is likely a later Parker cap with fingers that hold the shell, not a clutch that engages with the clutch ring on the pen--which is why the cap seems to "work" on the pen.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim

No worries, I'm actually in agreement, I was just summarizing on an iDevice and sensed hesitation to accept what we both stated, namely the pen has the wrong cap.

T

Tim

No worries, I'm actually in agreement, I was just summarizing on an iDevice and sensed hesitation to accept what we both stated, namely the pen has the wrong cap.

T

Cool. Sometimes I think, despite my best efforts, I'm clear as mud. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those times.

Blessings,

Tim

Yes, I understand. The cap is a mismatch, and I need to find the same early style for a replacement. Even though this cap "works" it doesn't feel right to me. It puts a lot of pressure on the shell which I believe will eventually cause some wear marks. Having the right replacement cap that uses the clutch ring instead, will prevent any damage to the plastic shell. For now, I am storing it with no cap until I find the correct replacement.

Thanks All. This is my first post on FPN and the help is much appreciated!

Donna

Donna, some good news is that the Lucite the hood is made out of is pretty stout stuff. If the cap only lightly scratches the cap over time (versus gouging it), that material responds well to polishing.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Yes, I believe the cap is really for a 61

I agree. If it was for a 51 it would have "51" on that cap as a MKII cap. An early Lustraloy aero 51 cap shouldn't be hard to find. They were common pens. Cocoa is a nice color and one of the harder to find in the wild.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I agree. If it was for a 51 it would have "51" on that cap as a MKII cap. An early Lustraloy aero 51 cap shouldn't be hard to find. They were common pens. Cocoa is a nice color and one of the harder to find in the wild.

Maybe I missed something here but can the experts confirm that he Demi cocoa pen needs the shorter Demi cap and not the regular cap of a P51? The Demi caps are not that easy to find right?

Edited by joris

I thought I confirmed that the pen needs a Demi cap.