Customs And Excise Duty, Import Vat When Ordering From Japan To The Uk

Sach

How often do people get charged on ordering from Japan to a UK address? I've just bought my first Japanese pens, to a total of around $630. How likely is it that I'll have to pay customs/excise, import VAT?

Edited by Sach

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• Sach

• Bo Bo Olson

• Guernseytim

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought photography stuff from the US before, sometimes customs stop it and fleece me, sometimes they don't.

Sometimes couriers are prepaid import taxes by the vendor.

yep, that much will catch some one's eye...and then that much is worth doing the paper work on.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think a lot depends on what the seller declares on the Customs Form. I buy a lot of things from China, where it is usual to declare things as a "Gift" and understate the value. Only once have I had to pay VAT (on the value of the goods and the shipping cost) and the dreaded Post Office administration fee (£8).

In my experience stuff from China gets through without charge; stuff from the US does not. My one recent pen shipment from Amazon.uk via Japan which exceeded the Customs limit of £15 (a Pilot Custom 74) escaped charge - the seller declared it as a gift and value $20, which was nice.

I doubt you will be so lucky, so I would expect a 20% VAT surcharge and an admin fee from your delivery agent.

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

I found stuff from Japan often got through but I've been charged the last 4 times.

What's the maximum order value that got through?