New(?) Unnamed Jinhao Review

Finalist

WOW!

I ordered this Jinhao from Amazon on April 25th and the delivery was suppose to be around June 9th. It arrived yesterday. Pretty fast IMO from China.

I can't find pics of this exact non threaded FP Jinhao anywhere except the Amazon page where I ordered it. There are Jinhaos much like it called the M2, but they have threads. This is a snap on cap.

My first impression after tearing open the envelope was, "Wow, much nicer case that I anticipated! Very TWSBI like." Once I open it from the plastic case My second thought was, " WOW!, it's so much heavier than I thought it would be." The item description on Amazon says a whole lot of nothing, so I thought it was going to be a plastic pen. I'm fine with that, but the metal is a very pleasing bonus. In hand the weight compares to a Jinhao 159. The other impressive feature is how the cap snaps on (see below for details).

Details:

The section is much thinner than the Jinhao 159. The most tapered portion is slightly bigger than a typical ball point.

The nib is a smaller size than the Jinhao 159. Standard line width is very close to the Jinhao 159, but this unnamed Jinhao's nib doesn't offer the fatter line variation of the 159's nib. I'd say the nib is smooth out of the box like the 15, and I won't be messing with it at all.

Much to my surprise the cap fastens to the first ring close to the nib. I thought it would fasten to the middle ring. The cap has an inner cap that grabs the first ring VERY tightly almost like a vacuum action is taking place. The feeling is very much one of quality as the cap first has a soft feel in replacing, and then a solid click sound. Same feeling and function when posting.

You can easily use this FP without the cap posted or not. It's a great, versatile size either way for me.

The furniture is plenty good enough for a $13 pen that I'd pay much more for. The clip is the only area that deserves a little more quality as the plating or casting seems like it could use an upgrade if they charged more. I actually like the little shield design on the clip, but the manufacturing of the clip could be better. Charge another $10, improve the clip quality and this is an A+ FP for $23. For $13 it's a B+ to A-. If they offered nib options and improved all the furniture this would be a $50-$75 FP IMO.

Because this is such a good pen, and it snaps so well for quick use it has moved into the top spot with my TWSBI mini as my go to quick note taking FP.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Finalist

• richardandtracy

• kokopelli_TR

• maverick777

It reminds me Nemosine Singularity. Maybe number 5 Knox nibs can fit this one.

Hmm.

Still never seen one anywhere else. It is a fine looking pen though.

Could you tell us what are the dimensions, weight and barrel material? It does look like the Century Mk2, but comparing it with the 159, possibly it's larger in diameter than that.

Regards,

Richard

Here are some measurements.

Total weight with a majority of the converter filled is 1.5 oz.

Length with cap is 5.25"

Length without cap is 4.5"

Length with cap posted is 6.0625"

I'm surprised Jinhao doesn't have a catalog? They have so many FP designs scattered all over the place.

Anyhow, I really, really like this pen. I'd take this $13 pen over anything Office max or Staples sells for $40-$100.

Edited by Finalist

I knew it reminded me of one of my pens. It is very similar to a Jinhao Century, except that this pen cap is clip on, whilst the Century is a screw on cap.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I knew it reminded me of one of my pens. It is very similar to a Jinhao Century, except that this pen cap is clip on, whilst the Century is a screw on cap.

I like the black screw on in your link. Are those all acrylic? Mine is all metal cap and barrel except maybe the section, but even that is hard to tell.

Yep, the cap & barrel on the Century are all acrylic. Unfortunately for balance, the barrel finial is a honking lump of brass. I have not been able to get this one out on my blue Jinhao Century despite heating it like a Kaigelu 316. I think it'll have to be machined off in the lathe.

The section is actually brass with a really durable paint job.

Regards,

Richard.