No More Fountain Pens In Mexico

hecya

I thought it was interesting that the city I just moved to had a store that was pretty much dedicated to fountain pens of all kinds. Appointments in downtown Cincinnati was where I bought my Lamy Safari and Al-Star. I only recently became interested in pens so I haven't looked much but it seems like there isn't much in terms of brick and mortar shops in most places, like hecya is saying. However I think it might also depend a lot on the market.

I was in Hong Kong earlier this year and I think I found at least three shops that carried Lamys, Crosses, Watermans, Pilots, and other pens I missed. It was fairly easy to hunt down pens there. A cursory Google search found at least 10 different stores there.

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• a m a r g o

• penrivers

• Bremsstrahlung

Kind of surprised you had a 'larger' selection to begin with. Around here the only retailer that sells some is Staples, and those are mainly just Sheaffer/Cross/Parker, most of them I have no particular interest in, especially at the prices. And then one or two types of cartridges. You just simply don't see them anywhere else, hence why all my pen purchases have been online.

There's a stationery store chain in Mexico City which sells an acceptable selection of Lamy, some Kaweco, a bit of Sheaffer, Parker, Cross, Faber-Castell, Waterman and Caran d'Ache and recently started carrying Pilot. Everything's overpriced, though, and their ink selection is underwhelming at best.

Buen amigo, creo que necesitas caminar la preciosa Cd de México especialmente en las calles de el centro. No quiero asustarte pero si caminas Tepito encontrarás

valiosa información, los empleados de Nacional Monte de Piedad te pueden avisar sobre colecciones, coleccionistas,y humildes tiendas de servicio y mantenimiento de plumas fuentes.

Buena suerte

También puedes contactar Isellpens, peytonstreetpens, pendemonium, and specially from Gouletpens , i just received from Alex Ross and Greg Shelton from Goulet

2 pilot bottles of Iroshizuku Shin Kai, Take sumi, and one bottle of J Herbin cacao du Bresil from a friend in Australia. Given the relative short distances among Goulet

and México city woulndt be to bad to investigate that option for you.

Edited by penrivers

Es verdad, no lo había pensado, pero en Monte de Piedad pueden haber cosas muy interesantes. Sobre la calle de 5 de Mayo también he visto una que otra tienda especializada.

In DFW (Dallas Fort Worth metroplex) all we have is a Paradise Pen Store for more than the odd Zebra FP or low end FPs at Staples or Office Depot (used to at Office Max, but they have been purchased by OD and closing many of them). Little Rock Arkansas, on the other hand, has VanNess Pens. In addition to pens, they sell other things, which enables them to continue to have a pen shop with other items (appliances, etc) to keep the rent paid. There used to be a pen shop named Pen Write, but it closed before I moved to DFW in 2005. So, most of my pen purchases are online of one sort or another.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I feel very privileged to live in a country that has good links/shops that stock a wide range of fountain pens. I hope the economy/sales of fountain pens strikes back and start to a come back!

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

That's a shame! But I have to admit it is rare I buy pen from a high street shop as they tend to bw far more expensive then online.

Snap I do the same. I went into one Websters shop once and they were good and gave me the same deal on the pen that was on-line.

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

In downtown México aré some nice shops. Specially in 5 de mayo. There is Miguel Angel with the best collection in my opinion also some blocks away walking to the Zocalo there are some little old stationery stores. One of them, near La Blanca Cafe, with an amazing collection of pens. The have some on display but if you ask you will be surprised !!! Also in Nuevo León avenue, one block for viaducto there a very nice shop with a very nice collection of new pens. Also some department stores, like Palacio de Hierro that has a MB boutique inside, Liverpool, snob runs have some nice pens. Whenever you want we may organize a Pen Safari!!!

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

That sounds like a great idea, if you ever do it remember to take pictures and report. Kind of like how the Indian members describe their walk-abouts and pen huntings in Indian cities...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 3 weeks later...

In DFW (Dallas Fort Worth metroplex) all we have is a Paradise Pen Store for more than the odd Zebra FP or low end FPs at Staples or Office Depot (used to at Office Max, but they have been purchased by OD and closing many of them). Little Rock Arkansas, on the other hand, has VanNess Pens. In addition to pens, they sell other things, which enables them to continue to have a pen shop with other items (appliances, etc) to keep the rent paid. There used to be a pen shop named Pen Write, but it closed before I moved to DFW in 2005. So, most of my pen purchases are online of one sort or another.

I was just in Paradise Pens in Dallas. It was a great experience. The people in the shop were so nice to talk with and of course I bought a couple pens. (Pilot VP F and Lamy Vista). Park on the upper level SE corner and you are very close to their shop on level 2.

Grace and peace to you

:)

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great pen department at a local office supply store...

But now it is gone.

I go to Holt's in Philadelphia when I'm in town, but they do not discount the pens much.

So I look at their pens but only buy their cigars.

I get my (non-vintage) pens and ink from dealers in the FPN community.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

Don't worry, it's how "big business" operates. If they can't sell a particular product by the truckload, they will stop carrying it at all. Then small businesses can re-open.

Hi, In Mexico you can find Visconti, Aurora, Montegrapa, Lamy, Faber, Cross, S.T. Dupont, Mont Blanc, Kaweco, Stipula, Pelikan and many others.

So, you have a big market, the only thing is that they are more expensive than in the U.S.A.

Now it's your chance to start your own little fountain pen business!

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

Here in Reno we had one small pen shop. A printing business that sold a variety of fountain pens and ballpoints. All the little bit nicer stuff, and a good selection of refills and inks.

It closed without warning.... I'm sooooo sad. I've bought several pens there. :crybaby:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Hi, In Mexico you can find Visconti, Aurora, Montegrapa, Lamy, Faber, Cross, S.T. Dupont, Mont Blanc, Kaweco, Stipula, Pelikan and many others.

So, you have a big market, the only thing is that they are more expensive than in the U.S.A.

I had not seen this topic before, sorry. Well, it will be more expensive to go to the US and buy them cheaper....

Since I am a vintage pen collector (those produced before the WWII to give a hint) there is still a lot of them around... main American brands (Sheaffers, Parker, Eversharp...) most in pretty good shape, also Pelikan but you have to be careful with fakes and mixed parts form different pens that do not go together, with fake nibs too (Patrician, Conklin and Pelikan specially), but you can easily find Mexican produced Esterbrook for those who love Esties... I guess zepp is right, it is always possible to start a pen business !!! Trade, we need more trades....

Ariel

• 4 weeks later...

Amigo,

En el DF hay (por lo menos que yo conozco y he visitado) 4 tiendas especializadas,

Plumas Miguel Angel (en el centro), la casa de la pluma en nuevo león casi esquina con insurgentes, la casa de la pluma en plaza inn y Plufi en plaza san Geronimo.

En 5 de mayo (muy cerca de plumas Miguel Angel) hay una papelería donde venden plumas antiguas de todo tipo, ahí he comprado Parker 51 y Schaffer targas.

Estos datos te los paso por si necesitas tiendas especializadas, pero si te gusta comprar en tiendas no especializadas, en Liverpool (por lo menos de insurgentes) y en hiperlumen hay muchas plumas fuentes.

And Mexico is not, by any possible measure a small economy, it is actually the 12th economy in the world and Mexico City as a stand alone is one of the largest markets in the world, it is easier to spot anything here than it is to do so in the most of the world, but you have to be willing to do some exploring.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I live in the north of Mexico and you can get several (commercial lineups) pens form waterman, montblanc and parker elsewhere from office depot to sanborn's, but let´s face it, a poor man's pen dealership is the internet.

I have gotten most of my pens in ebay and the prices I got are nowhere close to those found in retailers or specialized pen stores so vive´le´net.

It is very difficult to find pen enthusiasts around you but keep looking, 3 of my fellows have already started a modest but growing collection.

By the way I just commited a sin, I exchanged a used Lorenzo de Medici (montblanc) for a new Octavian.

Agreed. It's hard to find Fountain Pens these days. There's a lot of technologies these days ( Mobiles, Tablets). I use fountain pens everyday but nowadays i have to use ball pens.