Converters Defined? Totally New, Lots Of Questions!

bc.hiker

I'm so new to fountain pens and have questions. Thanks for your patience....

Converters ~ Why are they used? Their advantages? Are they only for cartridge pens?

I see them FS on Amazon & eBay, but am not clear on their definition, function and advantage. It looks like they're a very good thing - but if someone can clarify to anyone here who's totally green and just getting their feet wet with fountain pens that would be great. Any answers or help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bc.hiker

• jar

• F104

• scully012

Top Posters In This Topic

Converters are a substitute for cartridges. You need to make sure though that you get the appropriate converter for your pens filling system.

My Website

Converters allow you to use bottled ink in a pen that is designed for cartridges. This ink is usually cheaper and allows a MUCH broader choice of ink colors and properties, but as jar said above, make sure you have the right one for your pen!

One thing to note is that the converter is essentially a detachable piston filling mechanism--in most cases--and while bringing the flexibility in ink choice and reusability of the piston system to a pen without an integral piston system, also brings simpler maintenance and/or replacement than a fixed piston. It usually doesn't have the same capacity as a fixed piston system (it will hold less ink), but that's not always a bad thing.

You use the converters instead of cartridges. You buy a bottle of ink of your choice and you can draw the ink into the converter. This eliminates the need for cartridges as whenever you're running low, you can just use the converter to get the ink from an ink bottle. I prefer converters just because I feel there is a nice selection of great inks out there so you can try various kinds.

Edited by SujiCorp12345

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

A converter 'converts' a cartridge filling pen into one with a filling mechanism. This allows you to use bottled ink.

They also prevent more plastic ending up in landfills. Which is a point I use when trying to "convert" green inclined people to the wicked ways of fountain pens. As others have said, you can use bottled ink with a converter, and there are many more bottled colors than there are carts.

A couple good places to go for excellent reading material about fountain pens, besides here, Pentrace, & FP Geeks (other websites) is

Richard Binder's site (see Reference Pages) http://www.richardspens.com/

PenHero (check Pen Bookmarks for a list of pen related websites) http://penhero.com/

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

A big thanks to all of you for your very clear, helpful answers. I get it now. Really appreciate all of your help.

As it turns out the pen in question is a Sheaffer Targa 585 Slim - so I think it might be harder to find a converter because of the slim barrel? I'll look to see if there's a Sheaffer group where I can submit that question. I did see 2 Sheaffer slim converters on eBay, but they were pretty pricey. Maybe due to the scarcity of the converter - just guessing!

Again, many thanks for your help!!! :)

Hi,

For the Sheaffer slim pens, the original converters are becoming quite uncommon and more costly to find. Sheaffer often provides a version of the Monteverde mini converter for the slim Targa pens. If you can find a small international-sized converter, some of them fit.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I like converters especially piston ones as it holds less ink (I don't write too much), as well as reminds me to rinse the nib every now and then.

It is modular as well, easy to replace and clean.

That being said, so a twist converter is a piston converter, then a cartridge is an eyedropper converter? ^^"

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

Soooooo ------------- Yes !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

You can also clean and refill your used cartridge. I sold a Targa Slim a while back, and finding a converter for it was HARD. I ended up buying the short Monteverde converter since some folks said they fit, but it didn't in my case. Maybe Monteverde has more than one type of mini converter.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!

-Tommy