Do You Save Your Ink Samples?

Tina Lee

Wow, fantastic response. These are all great ideas! I'm definitely going to invest in a glass dip pen, and maybe some Goulet racks.

I've been looking at the R&K glass dip pens on the Goulet website ever since I saw mention of it above. I just can't decide between the blue/black or the blue/gold. I like both of them! But I can only choose one. (sigh)

I was also wondering ... where do you keep your glass pen? They look fragile?

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Tina Lee

• Tas

• FayeV

I've been looking at the R&K glass dip pens on the Goulet website ever since I saw mention of it above. I just can't decide between the blue/black or the blue/gold. I like both of them! But I can only choose one. (sigh)

I was also wondering ... where do you keep your glass pen? They look fragile?

I couldn't decide either and ended up getting both - one lives at home and one at work. I keep mine laying flat in front of my pen cup on a small shelf above my desk (same shelf both places). The shelf has a groove for a pen or pencil in addition to a lip on the front so there's no chance of it rolling off and it's always handy.

While the ink can look completely different when using the glass pen, between the glass pen and a Q-tip swab I get an idea whether I like it enough to ink up a pen or not.

I save my ink samples in a test tube rack and I'm going to adopt macaddicted's swabbed label on top of the vial - wonderful idea! So far, I've saved even the samples that don't thrill me initially because sometimes I change my mind. If I get to the point where I have too many I'll do a PIF and give them away.

I use them up quite quickly if I like them and then usually buy a full bottle.

I mix them if I don't.

If the mix goes wrong then , if it's blue, green or greyish in colour it goes into Blue Dreggs bottle.

If the mix goes wrong and it's red or brown then it goes into Brown Dreggs bottle.

The Noodler's pens get to play with theses and both bottles are looking quite nice at the moment.

Come to think of it, I'm liking the Blue Dreggs so much that I may start a fresh Blue Dreggs 2.0 bottle . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_brown_dreggs_may2014.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_blue_dreggs_may2014.jpg

(Apologies to all who follow a stricter regime of cross brand contamination)

Am loving that Blue Dreggs. It's exactly like Kobe #44 Samaura Seaside Blue.

Put it in an old after-shave bottle, tie a bit of old string round the neck and charge £30 for it

Verba volant, scripta manent

Don't you think they'd pay £30 for it in a plastic Molton Brown Shower gel bottle taken from a hotel ?

I'd call it Limited Edition of course . . .

Edited by Tas

I use them up quite quickly if I like them and then usually buy a full bottle.

I mix them if I don't.

If the mix goes wrong then , if it's blue, green or greyish in colour it goes into Blue Dreggs bottle.

If the mix goes wrong and it's red or brown then it goes into Brown Dreggs bottle.

The Noodler's pens get to play with theses and both bottles are looking quite nice at the moment.

Come to think of it, I'm liking the Blue Dreggs so much that I may start a fresh Blue Dreggs 2.0 bottle . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_brown_dreggs_may2014.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_blue_dreggs_may2014.jpg

(Apologies to all who follow a stricter regime of cross brand contamination)

I call mine warm and cool effluvium. The weird thing is they're usually pretty water resistant, even if the original inks weren't. Yours are very nice.

I call mine warm and cool effluvium. The weird thing is they're usually pretty water resistant, even if the original inks weren't. Yours are very nice.

Effluvium, Davros that's waay too harsh.

(I just looked it up)

Let's see yours . . . :happyberet:

I've just loaded my Blue Dreggs Limited Edition into my Taranis and I think it's a keeper.

These are perfect! Thanks for posting this!!

Yeah, I've got mine split across six sets.

Bless you! I've put an order in. I knew there had to be a cheaper way.

Currently, all my samples are labeled and strewn in a box. I have inventory lists I wrote out using a dip pen.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Some samples I've used up, some I've saved. It depends. If I really like an ink, I'm likely to order a full bottle before I've finished it, but I keep the rest of the sample to use for refills when traveling, or if it's easier to refill a pen from a smaller sized container. I've kept the vials, regardless. I should probably wash out the completely empty ones, but haven't gotten around to it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have already acquired a large number of samples.

I have my platinum preppy rainbow pen collection which I am converting into ED's so I can use the samples over a long period of time before I decide if I like it enough to buy a whole bottle. I am keeping a list of the ones I particularly like. So far I've used up 3 vials. Which doesn't sound like much, but I've only been buying ink samples for a short time, after I realized I could have sampled Rome Burning instead of buying a whole bottle....

Yes, I am keeping vials so far, because they are a very handy size, especially if I want to share samples of stuff I have in bottles with someone else. Like, say, Rome Burning.

I have a friend who is an artist and a children's author, and I might pass them on to her to play with, if I have left-overs I don't like. One person's "ew" is another person's "ah" after all.

edited because I forgot something.

Edited by Vgimlet

Effluvium, Davros that's waay too harsh.

(I just looked it up)

Let's see yours . . . :happyberet:

I've just loaded my Blue Dreggs Limited Edition into my Taranis and I think it's a keeper.

I just finished the winter dregs. Spring is mostly bright. Warm - sort of a blood orange color. Cool is currently green. No pics, I'm afraid, until my scanner is fixed.

I keep my ink listing in a spreadsheet, the samples are cross-referenced to one of the Goulet racks (#2C3 - the second rack, third "column", 3rd vial down). I've been an Ink Dropper so long, I need more racks...

Okay, I'll fess up... not only do a keep my samples for mixing... but uh.... I let my inky flushes dehydrate and then use them like paint.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013-Window/Waste_A/slides/2013-03-15_WA_01.JPG

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013-Window/Waste_A/slides/2013-Ink_561.jpg

Here is where I took the ink flushes and repurposed them:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140426_153749.jpg

And maybe I use those last little drops in fade tests...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013/Boards/slides/2013-Fade_Board_O-BFs-4.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BUT I don't have a problem.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY