hari317

The Gem and Company in Chennai, India is a pen shop in business for over 80 years now. In addition to selling third party pens, this shop manufactures and sells their in house fountain pens under the brand name Gama.

Previously, I have documented their following models:

Supreme part 1

Supreme Part 2

Kuyil

Padpad/Raja

Kambar part 1

Kambar part 2

In addition, some information about the shop itself can be found in the following links:

Visit report 2008

Visit report 2014

This Gama "Gundu pena" (fat pen) was always popular among the FP user folks of Chennai, in recent times the owner of gem and co and their dealer ASApens.in have been very active in bringing out a slew of new models to fit varying hands, tastes and sizes.

The Saral is, I think, their latest offering. Saral means "easy" in Hindi. It also can mean "simple" depending on the usage. I think translated into English, the Saral would be called "The Gama Simpleton".

My first impression was "simple form, functional pen".

Cylindrical cap, functional spring steel ball clip, simple tapered barrel to allow the cap to be posted, barrel length is sufficient to use unposted, ebonite for keeping the weight light, and hard wearing brushed finish.

The dimensions of the pen are as under:

Capped: 148mm

Uncapped: 132mm(including nib length)

Barrel dia:14mm

Cap dia: 15.6mm

Section dia: 12.5mm at barrel threads tapering to 11mm just before the nib base flare.

Posted: 177mm

The pens came to me without the nib and feed fitted, I wanted to do my own fitting to it since I rarely use the stock nibs anyway.

Closed

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaSaral/IMG_9887.jpg

Opened

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaSaral/IMG_9888.jpg

Section removed:The ends of the cap and barrel are polished.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaSaral/IMG_9889.jpg

800 and JoWo nib units installed:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaSaral/IMG_9890.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaSaral/IMG_9891.jpg

Size comparison with an old M800:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaSaral/IMG_9892.jpg

Finally a group photo of the all Gama models in my collection:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaSaral/IMG_9886.jpg

L-R: Kambar Mk-II, Kambar Mk-I, Postable Kambar, Supreme Flattop, Supreme Cigar, Kuyil, Hawk, Eyas, Raja, Saral and Popular.

I did not know what will arrive in the post, when the Saral was described to me. However when I received these pens on Friday, I found that I like the simple lines of this pen very much, enough to consider making me carry one as the sole carry on the two day out of town trip that I will go on Monday morning. :)

Cheers!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Brian C

• shrujaya

• strictlyobiter

Bit of a Gama fan are we?

Obviously evident from the last group photo picture and the number of reviews. Also a big Deccan pens fan :)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari, stupid question. Most of these new models that you are introducing I don't see on the ASAPens website. I know that some are specially commissioned by you. Is this one a regular production model?

Hari, stupid question. Most of these new models that you are introducing I don't see on the ASAPens website. I know that some are specially commissioned by you. Is this one a regular production model?

Short answer: No, not special to me, I don't know if it is already in or will enter mass production in future.

Long answer:

Yes, some models were special order pens by me, based on my ideas. I have mentioned this in my review of those specific pens.

The pen works at Gem is not a big factory. Just Pratap and his assistant and their lathe. Their business model (my conjecture, I have not asked) seems to be to make some new models first in small numbers and display in shop, if there is sufficient interest they will typically produce more of that model. It is all demand based. They have stopped making some models like Mayil etc which unfortunately I cannot not get my hands on now after having refused to buy earlier. Cannot buy each and every model after all.

I think it might just be a matter of time before some more models start appearing on the ASA pens website as they gain popularity/demand/sellability since I believe ASA also has to buy the pens in a certain minimum quantity per model upfront from Gem and then stock it.

Even if the pens are not listed, I think it will be a good idea to contact ASA to let them know of your interest, who knows, given sufficient numbers, they might place an order on Gem.

As someone who has purchased a lot of Gama pens over the years, I get first(or one of the first) chance of refusal for any new model that Gem-ASA develop. Usually I end up buying, except some acrylic.

I hope this helps.

Edited by hari317

Hats off to Gem & Co. for releasing one more gem of a pen ... and thanks Hari, for showcasing this pen in your inimitable style with excellent photographs ...

The name Saral does not do justice to this very good looking pen ... honestly ... from your photos the pen appears to be made with care, and the fine brushing effect brings out the beauty of the pen ... and of course, the ball clip ... the flat ends and the contrasting lines of the cap and the barrel gives a classic shape to the pen ... and size-wise too it is no pushover ... with your engineering skills and the Pelikan nib unit, Saral becomes Viral (hindi) ...

I would be glad to have a pen like this ...

Enjoy...

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Hi Hari. I've been eyeing up a Gama Hawk for a few weeks. I would prefer to install my own JoWo nib unit into the body though. Is this possible with the Hawk?

Hi Hari. I've been eyeing up a Gama Hawk for a few weeks. I would prefer to install my own JoWo nib unit into the body though. Is this possible with the Hawk?

oh yes, certainly it will fit the hawk. I have already tried it, the results are posted here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/258030-the-asapens-kuyil-made-by-gem-and-co-madras-india/?p=2975820

Hats off to Gem & Co. for releasing one more gem of a pen ... and thanks Hari, for showcasing this pen in your inimitable style with excellent photographs ...

The name Saral does not do justice to this very good looking pen ... honestly ... from your photos the pen appears to be made with care, and the fine brushing effect brings out the beauty of the pen ... and of course, the ball clip ... the flat ends and the contrasting lines of the cap and the barrel gives a classic shape to the pen ... and size-wise too it is no pushover ... with your engineering skills and the Pelikan nib unit, Saral becomes Viral (hindi) ...

I would be glad to have a pen like this ...

Enjoy...

Jai

Thank you Jai for the positive comments, as a fellow enthusiast of Indian pens, I value your critique highly.

regards

Hari

Edited by hari317

hari as usual love your pen reviews

but im not a fan of big pens so its not for me..

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

• 3 weeks later...

Nice reviews. Good job with the nibs. It is definitely a good idea to put in better nibs on these pens. You should go for the hawk especially if you have large hands. They are oh so comfortable to hold and use. A nice JoWo or a nice boch would definitely do well. Can you tell me where do you purchase them. Do you have a pen workshop (at home or professionally). I ask this since you do such a good job (from the pics) of fitting them.

Cheers and stay inked.

PS: Im due for my fix of fountain pens too. Looking at a screw on nib option that gama has put out. Opinions?

Nice reviews. Good job with the nibs. It is definitely a good idea to put in better nibs on these pens. You should go for the hawk especially if you have large hands. They are oh so comfortable to hold and use. A nice JoWo or a nice boch would definitely do well. Can you tell me where do you purchase them. Do you have a pen workshop (at home or professionally). I ask this since you do such a good job (from the pics) of fitting them.

Cheers and stay inked.

PS: Im due for my fix of fountain pens too. Looking at a screw on nib option that gama has put out. Opinions?

I purchase the nibs from ASApens.in they are Indian representatives of the German nib manufacturers.

I am just a hobbyist, i have a day job. :)

Go for it.

Best

Hari