Mb Boheme Or Heritage 1912

DBQMary

I am considering purchasing a new Montblanc. I am torn between Boheme and Heritage 1912 models. My preference is to purchase with XF nib.

If you have one or both of these pens, I would appreciate your thoughts. What do you like or what could be better on each?

Thank you

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DBQMary

• meiers

• Pentulant

• Martini1R

Just to clairify, which Boheme are you talking about:

- the 'regular' Boheme? (still in production, usually with a colored stone in the clip)

- the 'oversize' Boheme? (out of production(?), no stone in the clip)

I have several (ahem) Bohemes and just received the Heritage 1912.

I would choose the Heritage over the Boheme. Here's why....

.....the nib is really something special - I wouldn't say it's a flex, but it certainly has a pleasant bounce to it

.....the Bohemes only take cartridges. Yes, you can dink around and fill with whatever ink you like - but it's still dinkin' around. The Heritage has a piston filling system.

.....the Heritage is new and pretty and shiny and really quite perfect

.....both have the unique retractable nib

The only downside to the Heritage is that it is not meant to be posted (and, in fact, cannot be despite the pictures on the MB website). The Boheme posts well.

I hope this helps.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Just to clairify, which Boheme are you talking about:

- the 'regular' Boheme? (still in production, usually with a colored stone in the clip)

- the 'oversize' Boheme? (out of production(?), no stone in the clip)

Sorry I should have included this. The regular with stone in clip.

The Heritage. Not only is the mechanism innovative but the design is sleek and the fit and finish are amazing. It also has a pleasant weight in the hand.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

While they both have retractable nibs, they are really quite different from my perspective. I think Mrs. Pentulant sums up the differences quite well, but crazy as I am, I go the other way towards Bohemes. Here's my opposing view:

• I love a pen that screw-posts; the 1912 can't post at all
  • Since I don't write extensively, I prefer cartridges that I can use up quickly
  • I actually prefer smaller pens
  • You can find new Bohemes for half the price of a new 1912. You can find used ones for 1/3 the price of a used 1912.

That said, I will absolutely agree that the nib on the 1912 is fantastic. While it might look on the small side for a pen of its size, the writing experience really is great.

I just picked up a heritage in Vegas last weekend. It's a very nice pen with some flex. I usually don't post so that doesn't bother me at all. I don't have a Boheme, but I bought one for my sister awhile back. I would say go with the Heritage.

I have both the Boheme and the Heritage. Very different pens, although both have the same parlor trick of the retracting nib. If you like small pocket pens, the Boheme is probably the highest quality one out there. It's VERY compact and discrete. Emphasis on compact. If you don't like small pens, the Boheme will be out of the question. If you do, it's super well put together and does not feel cheap and filmsy at all. It was my daily user for a very long period of time. I LOVE my Heritage in equal parts, but somehow because it's over 1 G, I don't feel the desire to take it everywhere, unlike the Boheme. It stays at home a lot, and is used really as a desk pen. As others have said, the nib is amazing, and the pen very weighty for it's smaller size.

As for the nibs, I believe the EF nib option is only available on the Boheme. You might get replacement nibs in EF if you send your Heritage in, but you have to find out if it's an option at all, and if so whether it's going away for 7-12 weeks. I don't know whether you have used Montblanc nibs in the past, but their nib sizing is unique to say the least. Their EF nib is really not an extra fine in the traditional sense, but a fine that's ground like an architects point. It has enough line variation that you really can't use to write very small, like you would with Japanese EF nibs.

I have one Boheme, the Paso Doble Blue, and I enjoy it a lot. Great weight and the nib has excellent flow. Really a well designed pen. I have toyed with buying the Heritage 1912 but I have been a bit put off by the size of the nib -- it seems small to me compared to the overall size of the pen. Others have certainly noted the pros and cons quite adequately, e.g., cartridges versus piston.

I've taken some side-by-side pictures and wrote a bit more about the differences between the two pens. The surprising part for some might be that in the ready-to-write position, the Boheme is actually longer than the Heritage.

Weight is an interesting topic that I don't bring up in the blog post - I find them comparable (and pleasant) in weightiness. The Paso Doble Bohemes are a bit more weighty.

Here's a link for you...

http://pentulant.blogspot.com/2014/05/this-or-that-montblanc-heritage-1912-or.html

And a side-by-side...

14094394222_51bbfc05d2_z.jpg

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Thank you Petulant. This has been very helpful. But (there is always a but) now I feel like both pens will be in my future.... I was surprised that the Boheme posted is comparable to 1912 which is not posted. That is part of what makes the decision difficult.

Also - enjoyed your website and was pleased that you included your dislikes.

Always glad to enable ;)

Heritage all the way. It is surprisingly a full sized pen after you retract it out. It is longer than my 146! Beautiful pen all the way. Boheme is kinda yuck for me sorry haha

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I have both and they are both wonderful pens, but if I had to choose which pen I prefer to write with... It would be the Heritage because of the size and also the nice slightly springy nib

• 1 month later...

I've just received mine today. The Heritage that is. I'm already starting to love it. LOL. I think I maybe should have rinsed it before inking it up but I aint got patience for that! The Royal Blue is in and I'm using it now! Pentulant, thanks for the cracking photos and review. That helped me waste, i mean spend, my money wisely :)

I purchased the Heritage 1912 in Chicago on May 20th. Since I wanted the EF nib, I am still waiting on it to come from MB. They indicated 4-8 weeks. It has been 5 weeks so I am getting anxious.

DBQMary, I was more than happy with my F nib until I just put some Noodlers Bad Blue Heron in it and now its writing so much wider! lol.

Its a fantastic pen. I'm using it more than my 149 at the moment.