Twsbi Micarta V2 To Be Discontinued

tychoseven

I contacted Philip at TWSBI the other day for some information about the Micarta, and he mentioned they were planning to discontinue the pen. He cited high cost of production and low demand as the reasons.

Just thought I'd pass that on, I'm sure somebody will want to know!

Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us?

-Frank Herbert, Dune.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• OakIris

• Blue_Moon

• VOKEY

That's a pity. It was a bold design rather than yet another "me too" pen. I guess if it's struggling to shift, you can't blame them for discontinuing it.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Perhaps I will pick one up on clearance discount. I've had mediocre experiences with TWSBI previously, but this particular model is quite attractive. Any known design flaws on v2.0?

I like the Micarta a lot. The nib is large and different from the plastic TWSBI's . Micarta is a difficult material to work with, especially when grinding into a pen. It can lay havoc to the machinery since it's so tough. I enjoyed the way it was packaged with the journal too. I'll be sorry to see it go.

Freedom Exists by Virtue of Me Moderating You.

Sorry, but I thought it was ugly.

:lol:

It kinda grows on you. It's a great pen and the material feels great in your hand. I love mine and I'm sorry to hear they're being discontinued. If the price goes down I might get another one with a clip and a finer nib.

Sorry, but I thought it was ugly.

No need to apologize for not liking it. I feel the same way about a great many pen designs that others love.

I don't agree with the choice of nib color and think silver would suit the pen better than gold, but that's what aftermarket nibs are for. I like the material and it's got an unpretentious functionality.

Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us?

-Frank Herbert, Dune.

Micarta is something like one-of-a-kind material. Of course a main ingredient is your own taste, but still... I am sure most penlovers either do have at least one or have thought about getting one again and again.

Anyway, I have seen that there is almost no new Micarta available, both in stores on on the ´Bay. Fortunately for Micarta searchers, it happens that I do have this one for sale, first original version (I mean, not the V2), while at the same time keeping all other Micartas among my treasure pens, one reserved for each of my sons when they will graduate soon: a suitable present for technical engineers, I guess.

And, if the discontinued stock is about to become a reality, then, the more so treasurable pens they are, don´t you think so?

plumista

Micarta is something like one-of-a-kind material. Of course a main ingredient is your own taste, but still... I am sure most penlovers either do have at least one or have thought about getting one again and again.

Anyway, I have seen that there is almost no new Micarta available, both in stores on on the ´Bay. Fortunately for Micarta searchers, it happens that I do have this one for sale, first original version (I mean, not the V2), while at the same time keeping all other Micartas among my treasure pens, one reserved for each of my sons when they will graduate soon: a suitable present for technical engineers, I guess.

And, if the discontinued stock is about to become a reality, then, the more so treasurable pens they are, don´t you think so?

plumista

Good Idea of giving to engineers :lol: :lol:

I've been wanting a second Micarta and saw this post. I ordered and received a clipless bold Micarta. The V2 is much more refined than the V1 (smoother threads and more "polished" exterior. Great nib on this one, and I really like the notebook.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Micarta v2. It's an excellent writer. I have a few Twsbi pens, I've never been disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Micarta V2 earlier this year after reading the reviews that said the new version fixed the issues of the V1. I love everything about my Micarta, the EF nib is smooth and a good fine EF, the converter is decent and the material looks and feels brilliant, going capless was a good decision too as there's nothing to spoil the look :D

Such a shame that a well made and original looking pen will disappear soon.

Wow glad I got my v2. The only downside to this pen IMHO, is that it takes a number of turns to uncap.

FWIW there seems to be a fair number of these pens available on Amazon right now. I just ordered a clipless B nib. Sucker for something that unusual that is going away!