Which Japanese Pen Is Your Favourite, And Why?

discopig

I love using my Platinum Desk Pen F at home because it really is ergonomic and puts down a wet thin line. My workhorse is currently the Sailor 1911L in EF and that pen is so amazing. The more I use it the more I love it. I'll probably look towards the Pilot Custom 742 with a PO (posting) nib or a Justus 95/Custom 823 next.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Sketch and Doodle

• discopig

• Alex2014

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't own a Japanese pen yet, but I am currently drooling over the Nakayas

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My favourite pen was my Namiki Yukari Royale in Black urushi, but my recently acquired Hakase Cocobolo Flat-top is threatening to take over the reign.

Reason being that I love the way these pens write. The Yukari Royale adds flair to my writing due to its responsive nib, while the Hakase pen is so enjoyable to write with that I find myself randomly scribbling with it sometimes.

Edited by shuuemura

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late, but I love Japanese pens;

First on the list would have to be my Sailor 1911S Fines, which are my daily writers (followed closely by a 1911 Full size).

Then comes my Pilot Pocket Elite with an 18k Fine nib (lovely, smooth, and practical).

I have used a Nakaya, and though not for a very long period of time, I couldn't bring myself to like it as much as my Sailors and my Pilot pens, though the pen looked gorgeous and wrote well (it was a medium though, so that may have added to it)

After that, the Sailor Reglus, my first Sailor pen.

and finally, any 10-20 dollar japanese pen. They all write smoothly for the price, seem to be well built, and are great loaners.

Well, many would qualify... I love my Hakase Sandalwood pen, as well as my Nakaya's. These two pens below have been in use for quite a long time Ruud

Hakase sandalwood

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/hakase/52230/hakase52230-and-takuta-pouch-at1000.jpg

Nakaya bamboo (note the lacquered clip)

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/nakaya%20bamboo%20closed%20@1200.jpg

My favorites:

1/ Platinum Izumo Tagayasan

2/ Sailor King of Pen

3/ Pilot Sterling

4/ Nakaya Neo Standard

5/ Sailor Kinrei Maki-E Geisha

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/nakaya%20bamboo%20closed%20@1200.jpg

Shoot, now that one really got me jones-ing for a Japanese lacquer pen again after I decided I wasn't so crash hot on the idea. :-|

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Wow, LOVE that lacquered clip!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The Pilot Justus edges out the Custom 823 for me. The longer section and the ability to adjust it for the paper beat the greater ink capacity and larger nib of the 823.

• 1 month later...

That is an incredible pen. I have been gazing at that on the Nakaya website. The clip just 'disappears' into the pen. Awesome idea and style.

OOOOooooooooooooohhh! I'm loving that!!!

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Hi,

Deciding which Japanese pen is my favourite is actually very difficult. I think my favourite is the Pilot Myu-90. I love how it writes. Mine has one of my favourite nibs. Another pen I really enjoy is the Pilot Custom 74. It's very practical since it holds a lot of ink. I also like the Pilot Capless Décimo since it's so convenient. The Sailor Professional Gear Slim mini in my avatar is also another pen I really enjoy. I also love the Japanese pockets pens with flowers. The Nakaya pens I have are very dependable writers. I really enjoy using them, and they all have such wonderfully smooth extra-fine and super extra-fine nibs.

Well, actually, that's pretty much all the Japanese pens I have and why they are all my favourite, for different reasons.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I love my Pilot Custom 823. It has a great vacuum filling system and a big number 15 nib. Most importantly, it is a fantastic writer!

My allegiance has changed. The Sailor is retired, awaiting a time when I can get cartridges for it. Now I have a Platinum Balance with a Japanese-measure fine point (read: extra-fine anywhere else). It is a great little writer, no hard starts, no skips. Very light in the hand, not that I don't also like heavier pens, but I hardly know it's there.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Same here. Broad nib (well, it's a medium really).

I can't afford any of the hyper-expensive ones!

Would you say the broad on a Sailor is equivalent to that of a medium in a European or American fountain pen

Would you say the broad on a Sailor is equivalent to that of a medium in a European or American fountain pen

Yes, definitely.

Scientia potentia est.

Nakaya Neo

Why? The large size. The clean lines. The unsurpassed excellence of the nib. It is like haiku ... exquisite in it's simplicity.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae87/patienttype2/NYC%20Art%20Brown%20Pens/NakayaNeoStd_zpsb02e1a0e.jpg

Totally low rent, but at the moment it's my new Pilot Metropolitan Taupe Lizard with a F nib. It was only $15 and it makes me smile so much.

hard to say, I've had the chance to enjoy only a few - all but one were sold.

Namiki Bamboo - loved the soft nib, but was bothered by the step between the section and barrel

Pilot 823 - the bamboo's nib was better:)

Platinum 3776 gathered/ribbed - if only it were a touch more weighty - the nib was wonderful (UEF)

the one i still have? love it love it love it:)

J

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson