Which Japanese Pen Is Your Favourite, And Why?

discopig

Mine would have to be Pilot Metal Falcon in SEF, I just love the weight and the nib. It's one of my favorite sketch pens.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Sketch and Doodle

• discopig

• Alex2014

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have a lot of Japanese pens, but for me, it would be a toss-up between my Platinum 3776 Yakusugi and my vintage Pilot Custom Grandee. Both are wooden pens with fantastic nibs, great craftsmanship and good form factors.

The only Japanese pen that I have is my Sailor 21 pocket pen, so by default it is my favorite Japanese pen. I am currently using it as an eyedropper with Parker Quink Black, altho when this charge runs out, I am going to switch to one of the Diamine colored inks that I just received. It writes great with the Quink -- no runs, no skips, no errors. (No errors that are the pen's fault, that is :P )

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

My Hakases. No contest with any other pens.

Why? Craftsmanship; quality; writing characteristics; nib behaviour; materials... the list goes on and on...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

It is hard to choose between a couple. But, it is still my 1911 full size demonstrator with a fine nib. It functions perfectly in every way (even the threads are beautiful and do not feel thready.

Platinum 3776 century, Beautiful pen, nib, great balance.

I also love VP with a binder-ground stub!

Mine would be my Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 with 1mm stub/CI. The nib is great(as I'm getting more used to it) and the thick section is fantastic for longer writing sessions. Oh, and the urushi. That stuff is amazing!

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Pilot Custom 823 F (every time I go to writing with it, I have to stop and revel in the feel of the nib; otherwise I'm mostly normal).

Pilot Custom 743 WA, which is very nicely smooth, but not too smooth, for a lefty.

Sailor 1911 Realo.

Same here. Broad nib (well, it's a medium really).

I can't afford any of the hyper-expensive ones!

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Happy as a clam so far with my new Sailor Pro Gear 19ll in Broad, but it's less than 24 hours old.

Oh, I was gonna say why. I like the squared off ends. It's only about an eighth of an inch longer than my Pelikan M215, which I like very much. It's a little fatter, and the broad 21K nib is very nice and smooth, and if you stand the pen up a bit, it turns into a kind of mild cursive italic. Allows easy line variation depending on how you feel and the kind of paper you're writing on.

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

A real decision is impossible - the range is too big:

- the Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth - when it comes to capless pens...

- the Sailor 1911 Profit Realo - when the piston counts...

- the Pilot Justus 95 - when flexibility is all you want...

- the Sailor King of Pen - when Big is Beautiful and the nib shall be your leader...

You see: it's quite impossible to judge - as it is impossible to define which is the "best car of all"...

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Mine has to be my Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black with fine nib - extremely smooth for such a fine nib. Having said that, I have been using my newly acquired Platinum Izumo a lot of late and although not as smooth as the Sailor, it is getting better every day.

It would be hard to pick a favorite. The most comfortable one for me to write with is my Sailor Pro Gear Slim.

I like my Sailor with music nib for certain writing activities, and I just received a Sailor 1911 Realo, which I really like so far. I have a Platinum with music nib, as well, and that about says it for my Japanese pens so far (oh, except for a Profit brush, which I like but don't have a lot of practical use for). My experience with Japanese pens so far leads me to believe there are more on my collecting horizon, but it's hard to pick a favorite at the moment... probably the Sailors overall, at this point.

I don't have a lot of Japanese Branded pens (Platinum PTL-5000, Pilot Metropolitan, Pilot 78G, Pilot Elite [late 70s, early 80s]).

I would probably say my favorite in terms of fine line plus portability (meaning I'm not afraid to pocket it), would be the Pilot Elite with the "Big Cap". But in terms of durability and smoothness, but a tad thicker on the lines, the Pilot Metro. But for the best aesthetics and softer nib on paper the Platinum PTL-5000 (which does an even finer line than the Pilot Elite).

So many wonderful Japanese pens at any price point can deliver such a wonderful writing experience.

If I have to pick a favorite that tickles me pink each time I write with it, it would have to be the Sailor King of Pen with Naginata-Togi nib.

It's really that nib. If the pen twists ever so slightly in my hand, that nib keeps putting ink on the paper. I just bought another Sailor today, this time with the Naginata

Cross Concord nib.

I still get a lot of joy from Metropolitans, VPs, Petit1, but you said favorite, so I had to go with Sailor at this time.

Edited by lisantica

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~