What Motivates You To Buy?

Mardi13

What motivates your pen buying/collecting? Do you look for trophy pens, those rare special vintage ones? Limited editions? Favorite colors, brands, or models? Do you hunt for specific pens? Prefer new over vintage or vice versa? How does price figure in? I know these are many questions, but I am trying to answer them for myself as a new pen enthusiast just starting out. I seem to be rather disorganized in my thinking, and want to pull back and try to figure out what I really like and want in a pen. All input appreciated!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mardi13

• dms525

• FayeV

• ellenspn

Top Posters In This Topic

Addiction.

I need help.......... :bawl:

Actually, I become fixated. I see a pen I like. I research it and I either dismiss it or just have to get it. I've finally come to the definitive conclusion that oblique nibs are the nibs for me, so I search them out.....

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

A new pen? An old pen? Random "oooh, shiny!!" pen?

And yeah, the virus takes hold fast.

Greed. But since i don`t have any disposable income, i buy what i can, at rock bottom price. And i still get the buyer`s remorse :wacko:

Edited by rochester21

I've written with FPs for years, however I consider myself as "starting out" since it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I started trying to figure out what I like. I recently bought a bunch of cheapo pens to try out and have come to this conclusion: I prefer using bottle ink; I don't mind C/C pens even though I'll just use the converter; I prefer heavier pens; I prefer writing a finer line; I don't like anorexic pens; I'm not crazy about weird Safari-like grips.

I've learned that I love my Pilot Metropolitan and am very open to trying more from this brand. I'm undecided on Lamy after trying the Lamy Safari, however will probably pick up another Safari/Al-Star just because they're cheap for trying out another nib size, and who knows maybe my Safari was a bit of a dud and the next one will be better. I'm unimpressed with the Parker Vector, way too lightweight. The Hero 448 is small and cute, my daughter wants it (maybe because it is pink and I filled it with purple ink), the ink flows easily, but I hate how it is so skinny and it is not so comfortable to hold for long writing sessions. I picked up a Pelikano for my daughter which she loves and takes to school, I think it writes OK but I wouldn't carry it around with me since the fatter cap doesn't allow the pen to fully fit into pen slots in my bag and I wish it had a clip. I'd be open to trying out a more grown up Pelikan pen, maybe the M200 starter pen, however I'm not sure I would like its light weight.

In the past, I have bought a FP on a whim after trying it out briefly at a pen shop. It cost a pretty penny and am glad it turned out to be a good writer which I still use. However I will not be making a habit of buying pens "on a whim" going forward, my pocketbook can't handle than. :( So here I am perusing old forum posts for guidance on possible future pen purchases... :)

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

What motivates your pen buying/collecting? Do you look for trophy pens, those rare special vintage ones? Limited editions? Favorite colors, brands, or models? Do you hunt for specific pens? Prefer new over vintage or vice versa? How does price figure in? I know these are many questions, but I am trying to answer them for myself as a new pen enthusiast just starting out. I seem to be rather disorganized in my thinking, and want to pull back and try to figure out what I really like and want in a pen. All input appreciated!

I blame it on you ;)

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

No-no-no! I will not buy FP's ever. :crybaby: The one I ordered a couple of hours ago will be the last! :unsure:

Heh, I used to say that about yarn (for knitting). I suffer from SABLE (stash accumulation beyond life expectancy). I think this term can also be applied toward fountain pen ink.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

:W2FPN:

Mine usually is opportunistic purchase out of addiction.

I often hunt for vintage pens at antique/ flea market, and- when I find any in a reasonable price range, I pounce on them. Then I try to open them up to fix them, getting hours of frustrating enjoyment.

For modern pens/ ink, special sale and limited editions tend to be my weakness. For example, I have been thinking of getting the White Tiger Metropolitan ever since it came out, but- when I saw them 20% off at Goulet (on top of free shipping,) it was a reason enough for me to pull the trigger (along with a bunch of other stuff that I have been coveting as well and are not available anywhere else.) I tried staying away from FPN for awhile, as I kept finding more pens and ink that I want, but that didn't work either... I just kept making uninformed purchases then. :P

Aaack! When worlds collide! What are all of these knitters and spinners doing here?!

SABLE, ink...I feel faint.

Money to burn in my pocket - which does not happen all that often.

Usually the result of something not pen related that I have gotten rid of, like an old chain saw or log splitter.

Aaack! When worlds collide! What are all of these knitters and spinners doing here?!

SABLE, ink...I feel faint.

Come on over to Inky Thoughts so you can really feel like you need ALL THE COLORS!!!

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

Come on over to Inky Thoughts so you can really feel like you need ALL THE COLORS!!!

NOOOOOooooooo...

My main reason for having fountain pens is to write with them. With that in mind, I'm motivated by situational use. For example, I keep a Kaweco Sport in my small Midori-style notebook. Its great for that purpose. Likewise, my work requires a good bit of note taking, so pens with good ink capacity are useful to me for that purpose. I'm also motivated by writing experience. I enjoy a pen that fits my hand well, and provides what I consider to be a good writing experience. The aesthetic of the pen certainly motivates me, though I TRY to resist buying only for looks. I've found that no matter how great a pen looks, if it doesn't write well I won't enjoy it, and consequently I won't use it. Cost is definitely a factor for me as well. For that reason value is important to me--bang for my buck. Finally, I'm trying to keep a cap on the total number of pens I own. Ideally I want to be able to use all my pens. However, I'm very susceptible to raising that number as I go--doh!

Annnnnd look what just arrived!

Hmmmm .... And with what ink are you going to first fill it? I think I would use a red with some brown in it. Do you like shading? Dakota Red? How about Black Swan in English Roses?

Oh, yeah. ... :thumbup: Congratulations! Beautiful pen! Where's the nib photo? :lticaptd: (Required responses to an announcement of a newly acquired pen.)

David

No-no-no! I will not buy FP's ever. :crybaby: The one I ordered a couple of hours ago will be the last! :unsure:

Yeah, sure!

Just curious, is there a Pens Anonymous? Only half kidding :unsure: :unsure:

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

My motivation has evolved over time. It started out very practical. I was looking for reliable pens with good nibs for practicing calligraphy. Then I began seeing (and buying) pens that combined beauty and function. I went through a phase of wanting to at least try pens that seemed highly thought of. Some turned out to be among my favorites. Others don't get used and will probably eventually get sold or gifted, although some are very handsome and somewhat rare.

I am not particularly motivated by needing to complete a set, e.g., all of the Pelikan M620 Cities/Famous Places pens. (I have about half of them. I just gifted one of the rarest ones to a Daughter-in-Law for a special birthday, because it represents a city with special meaning for her.)

At this point, I have all the pens I need and more than I can use in rotation with reasonable frequency. Unfortunately, "reasonable" is not sufficiently motivating when I encounter another pen that I find beautiful and that has great reviews for high quality and usability, e.g., an italic nib with good line differentiation and smooth writing mounted in a gorgeous celluloid tube. Fortunately, pens that I see as overly blingy repulse me. If I want sculpture, I'll buy sculpture. If I want jewelry, I'll buy jewelry.

David

Regarding the red ink: I actually have an old bottle of plain old Waterman's red that goes nicely with it. I do want to try the Diamine Red Dragon. Who makes Dakota Red? I'll go look that up...