Lamy Extra Fine Nib Pens

Subadaga

Just wondering how "fine", an Extra Fine Lamy nib can write, and if there's other brand who has finer nibs; this because I like to write in a very small letter, I'm currently interested in the Bluegreen Al-Star pen and the Safari Neon Coral one.

Also, is there a 0.1 mm nib, is that even possible?

Thank you.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doggonecarl

• DBQMary

• nakiana

• canibanoglu

I also enjoy a very fine nib. I have numerous XF from various brands. Earlier this year I purchased a Sailor XF from nibs.com. It is by far the finest writer that I own. John asks about your writing and tunes every new pen before sending out. He sells other pens with even finer points.

Richard at richardspens.com also is very good. He has pens a wide selection of nib sizes including Accountant and Needlepoints which are finer than the 0.1mm you mentioned.

I would suggest checking out either of these sites as they are very knowledgeable and will with you to get your perfect writer.

As a side note, I had two Lamy Safaris, one fine and the other XF. For some reason the fine that I purchased first actually wrote narrower than the XF. These were as received, out of the box and not purchased from a store specializing in fountain pens from my earlier days.

Good luck with your search and please update on your purchase.

Heh, this has been something that has been bugging me very much lately.

Recently, I bought three different Lamy Safaris, two for myself and one for my girlfriend. Two of those came with a fine nib, one with an extra fine nib, and I bought another extra fine and a medium also.

The weird thing is that, these nibs are not standardized at all! One of the two fine nibs writes almost like a medium, with just a tad less ink, the other is a proper fine which is a tad bolder than the extra fines. Both extra fines I got write pretty much the same, but I have to say that I prefer the smoothness of the larger nibs. Sadly, my writing style can't really accomodate medium+ nibs, some of my letters start looking like someone filled the holes in the letters during extreme boredom. It is said that Japanese fines are really fine but I can't speak to that myself (yet).

As far as Lamy goes, my advice would be to inspect the nibs yourself before buying. Usually you will spot which ones will actually write EF, F or M+. If you can try them with ink, that is obviously much better.

I have a Sailor Pro Color that writes finer than my Lamy Al Star EF, but I have no complaints about the Lamy. Obviously the ink and paper you use will make a difference as well.

The finest you typically can get without spending a god awful amount of money is going to be around a 0.2 which is roughly where a Japanese Extra-Fine comes in.

The Lamy Extra-Fine tens to run a little wide, probably as wide as most Western Fines.

My finest pens are vintage (MontBlanc 225 [platinum coated 14K gold nib], Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral w/ Feathertouch Accounting [platinum coated 14K gold nib], and Pilot Elite from the late 70s [gold plated steel]), my finest modern pen is a Platinum PTL-5000 (14K gold nib with some spring to it)

The Goulet Extra-Fine nib on this write sample is a little smaller than Lamy's Extra-Fine.

fpn_1397803756__arc_front.jpg

If you want something truly fine forget fountain pen think technical Drawing pen. You can get ones that go down to 0.1mm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotring-0-10mm-Isograph-Technical-Pen/dp/B000USGQH8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399049449&sr=8-2&keywords=rotring+0.1mm

Amazingly enough you can run on fountain pen ink I have found and India ink.